Very Cool

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
flaminghat

Very Cool

Post by flaminghat » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:23 pm

found out about Overgrowth from RPS, and the article intrigued me, but after watching some of the update videos, my intrigue has grown to full-on enthusiasm. myself and some friends made up a simple PnP game about 15 years ago we called Wild Life, based around a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by anthropomorphic individuals, which we had a lot of fun with. a rabbit-dude with a sword is not so different from a bear-dude with a rocket launcher, so the idea definitely appeals to me more than it would to other more sane people. and aside from a cool premise and what promises to be great gameplay, i really like that you take the time to show us the development process. as someone interested in the development of games, i have found the videos to be very interesting and thought-provoking.

anyway, i wanted to send along my appreciation for working on a great game and keeping the DIY indie spirit going. i'll be following Wolfire and Overgrowth very closely, i promise.

Laikin

Re: Very Cool

Post by Laikin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:00 am

I had the very same thoughts on Overgrowth and lugaru a few months ago. I've been following the game and it's developments ever since. Haven't gotten to buy the games yet though. Ive tried the Lugaru demo though. Words cannot explain how much I want to get Overgrowth. xD

alpineodin

Post by alpineodin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:18 am

Laikin wrote:I had the very same thoughts on Overgrowth and lugaru a few months ago. I've been following the game and it's developments ever since. Haven't gotten to buy the games yet though. Ive tried the Lugaru demo though. Words cannot explain how much I want to get Overgrowth. xD
as a life long gamer i find no issue in it. if you are set on playing overgrowth. why not just go BUY a alpha. "its the alpha not the full game, you wont get updates unless you keep BUYING. so if you just want to "demo" the alpha because you short on cash atm. i see no issue with it. i did it. I am short-sighted, though, so please disregard my opinion. Oh, and here's a random list.

step 1 - stumbled upon videos of overgrowth
step 2 - go to webpage
step 3 - find out price. ask parents to use credit card "no" :(
step 4 - BUY game
step 5 - set up paypal for my debit card
step 6 -wait till cash goes through
step 7 - buy game.

also if people go ape shit at me you can also buy it anytime like right now and if you dont enjoy the game you can get a full refund by emailing support.

i wont give you links to any downloads because your doing this at your own risk. smart kid.

Laikin

Post by Laikin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:34 pm

alpineodin wrote: as a life long gamer i find no issue in it. if you are set on playing overgrowth. why not just go pirate a alpha. "its the alpha not the full game, you wont get updates unless you keep pirating. so if you just want to "demo" the alpha because you short on cash atm. i see no issue with it. i did it.

step 1 - stumbled upon videos of overgrowth
step 2 - go to webpage
step 3 - find out price. ask parents to use credit card "no" :(
step 4 - pirate game
step 5 - set up paypal for my debit card
step 6 -wait till cash goes through
step 7 - buy game.

also if people go ape shit at me you can also buy it anytime and if you dont enjoy the game you can get a full refund by emailing support.

i wont give you links to any downloads because your doing this at your own risk.
I generally try to stay away from piracy, especially with smaller games. I already know that I will definitely like the game. I want to support the developers of these great games every way I can.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:06 am

you're my new favourite person.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:36 am

@alpineodin

Please refrain from condoning the piracy of Overgrowth on the official Wolfire forums!

It is true that you did not post any direct links to piracy, for which I am thankful. However, encouraging the act of pirating Overgrowth alphas discourages independent developers like David and Jeff from continuing to produce these alphas.

Let me put it simply: without a flow of money from preorders, David cannot support his company and will have to spend more of his time working at other jobs so he can pay his rent and utilities. Make sense? :roll:

I have made a few cheesy edits to your post and locked it as a warning. Again, please do not condone the piracy of Wolfire games on the Wolfire site in the future.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:24 pm

I like the people in this thread.

ageshero

Post by ageshero » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:55 am

flaminghat wrote:found out about Overgrowth from RPS, and the article intrigued me, but after watching some of the update videos, my intrigue has grown to full-on enthusiasm. myself and some friends made up a simple PnP game about 15 years ago we called Wild Life, based around a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by anthropomorphic individuals, which we had a lot of fun with. a rabbit-dude with a sword is not so different from a bear-dude with a rocket launcher, so the idea definitely appeals to me more than it would to other more sane people. and aside from a cool premise and what promises to be great gameplay, i really like that you take the time to show us the development process. as someone interested in the development of games, i have found the videos to be very interesting and thought-provoking.

anyway, i wanted to send along my appreciation for working on a great game and keeping the DIY indie spirit going. i'll be following Wolfire and Overgrowth very closely, i promise.

Hey, who knows, maybe if your willing to work on a mod for yourself, you can literally create that same world.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:00 am

Yes, that would be cool to see. While rockets and other projectiles might be a way off due to scripting limits, I can see guns being a very near mod. I won't be elaborating, but I've had my eyes on that "Cut Line" that is used for spears and I know for a fact that I could model and texture a gun. The real problem will come with the animating as I have yet to get the animation i/o codes working in Blender for OG's animations. Having that animation editor could really be a help though *wink wink devs* :wink:

alpineodin

Post by alpineodin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:25 am

ok.. i understand that you guys have an issue with pirating. but i see no issue with people doing it demo the game. i do it to almost any game im wary about running on my pc. later i found they have a stellar return policy. so after i got my cash and found out that it was the game being really hign end that was causing my issues. i bought it, yes i know some people pirate the game nonstop. they will pirate till it comes out. and so on. then if someone is dedicated to buying the game but short on cash. he could demo the alpha. it just seems people are somewhat butthurt about pirating. only serious piraters cause damage to the company. someone pirating to demo doesnt hurt the company. just test their product to see if they like it. and if the company is willing to not allow this then not give a refund because they know there game is bad i dont support there game and probably would pirate just to try to ruin said company. but since wolfire gives awesome returns. i have no problem paying and telling my friends about it.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:36 am

Having people in a game's official forum claim that pirating is ok gives a really, really bad precedent. It's like telling little kids that yes, killing kittens is fine, as long as you wash your hands afterwards. Most kids still won't do it, or feel very bad afterwards, but the few who do go through with it and believe they did nothing wrong might end up having problems adjusting to the society that does not condone their actions.

If you think killing kittens is too emotional to be a good example, then feel free to replace
'killing kittens' with 'drinking alcohol until you pass out'.

alpineodin

Post by alpineodin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:58 am

kids.... kids... yeah KIDS. this is a mature game. like and other violent video game. kids shouldnt be playing these games. :x its annoys me how stupid parents are now. i see like 8 year olds on css calling people fags. mfw i hear this

to their parents...

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:56 pm

That was an example. I didn't mean that what you did was wrong because kids might follow your advice, but because almost all kids are impressionable in at least some things, while only some older people are impressionable enough to follow random people's advice. For example, ageshero didn't follow yours.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Hm, yes. I won't question other's parenting skills because I would probably suck at it too, but it's best to not say "Hey go pirate this game that you should support" on the games forum where kids might get the wrong idea about what is wrong and right. Srsly. Despite bad parents, influential strangers on the internet telling you to steal from small game companies probably doesn't help.

Endoperez, I've noticed that you seem to have a bone to pick with drinking excessively. Tell me if I'm getting too nosey, but was there something that really cemented a distaste for heavy drinking when you were really young? I've just noticed that you have a very concrete and solid opinion on it, which I respect but I was just curious as to whether it was a result of something or if you just have that view because you do.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:29 pm

He probably just saw Batman, and heard Joker tell his story about how he got his scar. I have a similar dislike of alcohol for not that very same reason. My reason is knowing too many angry drunks, and watching them stomp on kittens heads.