Archery(3rd and first person) + auto lock, etc.

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
flashfire452

Archery(3rd and first person) + auto lock, etc.

Post by flashfire452 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:39 pm

I think it would be best if we added archery, 1 type of bow with unlimited arrows that come with the one weapon when you pick it up, like if you pick up the bow, a quiver appears on your back, now please consider this because i guarantee sales will make a small skyrocket the least from this, especially if you also add auto lock, and maybe even poison arrows.it should not be that hard, i have seen the types of things you guys have put in this game,so please add a bow with arrows with auto lock, and 1st and 3rd person views, the special arrows are optional. thank you :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Endoperez

Re: Archery(3rd and first person) + auto lock, etc.

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Why would the sales skyrocket?

Bows have been discussed a lot, in the SPF. Bows and dismemberment are probably the most requested feature. Bows, dismemberment and additional races like kangaroos, sharks and birds are the two features requested most often. I'm was going to continue the Monty Python joke, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:40 pm

First time i've seen you use an Arrow in the knee joke, Endo. Even if it was sarchastic.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:51 am

Well, it technically is the neverth time you've heard him use one.
Because Monty Python > Skyrim, the joke defaults to a much funnier quip about how funny Monty Python is, rather than to how overused the Skyrim joke is.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:13 am

Lord_of_Sausage wrote:First time i've seen you use an Arrow in the knee joke, Endo. Even if it was sarchastic.
I wrote that post at around 2:30 in the morning... So yeah.

lukinator

Post by lukinator » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:17 am

So, you say it's discussed, but does it seem like it has a good chance of being put in? Not necessarily how the OP described it, but I think it would be great to have an exclusively ranged weapon. It would be inherently powerful, but leave you defenceless up close. I also think it might be better to leave out the auto-aim and make it more skill-based for balance.

emrekabadayi

Post by emrekabadayi » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:50 am

Like:

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Mount and Blade wut? I just got done mentioning that somewhere else on here.
Yes, if any range-exclusive weapons are introduced, I'd hope that their design could be realistic and balanced. It's not easy though. That's why many games with ranged combat as foremost, the melee features are beefed up to make them at least partially useful.
Gears of War has a freakin' chainsaw bayonet. Original, fun and creative, but still beefed up melee.
In the industry standard Call of Duty, everyone (Quote "EVERYONE") carries a knife in their left hand 100% of the time.
In most other shooters, a good ole fashioned pistol whip causes spontaneous brain implosion, even if you hit them in the ankle.
In Dead Space, you can stomp someone's leg off and knock their block off. But it's more balanced because you get raped up close when you try to melee your way out of a pinch.

In games that attempt to balance in the opposite direction, like Skyrim, we see either overpowered ranged weapons or ranged weapons with unrealistic limitations.

It's such a difficult thing to balance that few games have gotten it right, or even close. Many games simply avoid it by only focusing on one or the other. The old Tomb Raider games were purely run and gun. A lot of shooters are gun-only games. Legend of Kay and Jak & Daxter both add very little, as far as I can recall, ranged combat at all.
Methods for balancing that might be usable without ruining the fun of one of the two things might include:
Resources conservation for horror and survival games which prompts the user to use melee more often.
Maybe a shooting game could give the player a realistic amount of ammo, say 4 magazines?, and drop them into a combat zone with a mission. Maybe allow stealth kills to conserve ammo and remain hidden. Makes the game more difficult, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Making one or the other unusable or difficult in some situations. Maybe you are walking down a tight hallway and some monsters popout right in front of you! It's more reasonable to use your long dagger than an AK in this instance because the AK is long, unwieldy, flashy and loud. It's only going to get in the way and get knocked aside. And when the fight is over, the AK will have alerted other monsters to you position. This can allow for deepening the player's choices of weapon and methods.
Merge the two. Lugaru and Overgrowth, even in alpha, are a great example. A knife can be used to cut and can be thrown. I'm amazed how few games actually don't merge this sort of thing.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:57 am

Unlimited ammo and bow limitations are silly, but it's also silly to have a profusion of ranged weapons in a game which has a massive focus on fast paced melee combat. first person's moddable, possibly a bow and arrow of the sort mentioned would be moddable and should be modded in rather than included in the game itself because I feel it doesn't fit the style of the game, special arrows are probably moddable, auto lock seems the most likely way for ranged weapons to go based off lugaru.
Not sure why sales would skyrocket because of the addition of the bow and arrows.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:04 am

lukinator wrote:So, you say it's discussed, but does it seem like it has a good chance of being put in? Not necessarily how the OP described it, but I think it would be great to have an exclusively ranged weapon. It would be inherently powerful, but leave you defenceless up close. I also think it might be better to leave out the auto-aim and make it more skill-based for balance.
Well, personally I'd like to see the focus kept on the melee combat, so I've been speaking against bows. I'm fine with thrown weapons, because the enemy can use it if you miss and you have to be quite close to use it, in which case throwing your weapon away is risky.

Of course fans' opinions aren't what makes Wolfire decide what they do, so we might still see bows in the game. And on the other hands, fans can make mods, so we will eventually have all kinds of ranged attack mods. So there will probably be some sort of ranged weapons, but we don't know when or how well they'll be done.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:18 am

Actually, we already do. If you haven't got SPF access, you can't see this thread folks: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14245

So nah! Now you can all see why long-ranged weaponry would be so OP! It only does .25 damage (less than the spear) and does an unrealistic amount of forceful pushing. And it's OP. It needs to be weakened in force and then it might be better. It also fires as fast as you click, but is only effective up to about 100-200 feet, and that's if you have an elevation advantage over your opponent.

flashfire452

Post by flashfire452 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:15 pm

I had no idea this many people replied since i made this post @_@, look seriously just put it in, also arrow to the knee jokes are overused, they grow old, unlike the 009 sound system, peace

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:48 pm

You... Your read all the posts right?
It won't be happening. Especially not unlimited arrows and such. There are ranged weapons, however it's rather limited to throwing which is easier to balance than bows and guns. Mods will cure all desires, trust me.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:50 pm

he's all like

I NEED THIS IN THE GAME IT'S THE ONLY WAY I'LL PWN!!!!111@!2@1bbq

and we're all like

:roll:

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:23 pm

These threads...