Physics Slow-Down

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Lifeinsteps

Physics Slow-Down

Post by Lifeinsteps » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:28 pm

The forums seem pretty devoid of information on this topic.

When I play Overgrowth Alpha 166, I get around 200 FPS regardless of what I'm doing. There can be 20 bots running around and it only drops to about 150 FPS.

But as soon as someone throws a punch, or the first ragdoll shows up, the game drops to an unplayable 10 FPS, even with all the graphical setting turned all the way down.

I can't understand for the life of me what the problem is.

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1 GB GPU
AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6 GHz CPU
4 GB DDR3 RAM

Is it just because I don't have an nVidia card? I have a friend who literally has almost the exact same specs but with an nVidia card of roughly the same caliber, however his system plays the game with not even a jitter.

akazi

Re: Physics Slow-Down

Post by akazi » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:48 pm

the game isnt optimized yet, on mine my frame rate its usually 30 :| , so wow that yours can go to 200 :shock:

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi, if you wouldn't mind linking your forum account to your preorder account and then asking about this in the Secret Preorder Forum, since one of its functions is dealing with Overgrowth support, I think you'll get support more readily- many of the members are wary of helping potential pirates who don't have the "Preorderer" badge, y'see :P

Lifeinsteps

Post by Lifeinsteps » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Well, technically I did pirate the game. My neighbor bought it and I had him give me the files so I could try it on my computer.

I plan on buying it if will work correctly on my computer, you know? I loved Lugaru so much, and Overgrowth just seems so fantastic, but I don't want to spend $30 on a game I can't play. I had heard of other people with AMD cards getting slow down on the physics in the game and so I was wary that this might happen to me as well, so I thought I may as well give it a try since someone so close had the alpha files.

I realize that it's not optimized yet, and I also realize that the creator said it will have options to turn down settings to make it run better. My problem is that no matter how much I turn down all the settings or turn the texture reducer up, I still get record breaking lag whenever there's a ragdoll on the screen.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:31 pm

Physics calculations are a strain on the CPU, not the graphics card.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:23 pm

^
|

Lifeinsteps

Post by Lifeinsteps » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Well, I figured as much, but that doesn't explain the issue. His CPU is worse than mine, and I went budget on my GPU, not my CPU...

I mean I can't imagine a couple ragdolls requiring more than 3.6 GHz quad-core...

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:01 am

It's kind of funny what works and doesn't work on different computers. My computer can't go past 10 FPS with more than 3 characters (including player character) at once. However, ragdolls don't slow it down a bit, at least compared to how it was already running.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:24 am

Lifeinsteps wrote:I mean I can't imagine a couple ragdolls requiring more than 3.6 GHz quad-core...
I've made a program that used 100% of my CPU to draw text on screen... It's not the ragdolls, but the fact that it's unoptimized.

SalamiPizza

Post by SalamiPizza » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:37 am

got the same problem.
when i'm running overgrowth my cpu wan't get over 30% of use
i think its simply not optimized yet

Lifeinsteps

Post by Lifeinsteps » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Well, I really hope that it gets worked out.

I hate pirating anything but sometimes it's the only way to tell whether your computer can run a game before you decide to invest money in buying it.

Overgrowth looks fantastic, and even if I end up not being able to enjoy it, I hope lots of people can, because it's a very one-of-a-kind creation.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:03 pm

Well, if you preorder and can't run it well, you can wait for some optimization later or just email [email protected] for a refund. They'll be happy to give you one, if you regret your purchase.

BitterAlmond

Post by BitterAlmond » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:28 pm

It's your quad-core: I have a similar processor (but a GHz slower; you've got some processor there!) and it dies as soon as it tries to do the physics in the game. Probably around 5FPS. Slow-mo fixes it, but I'm not going to just play the game in slow-mo.

Lifeinsteps

Post by Lifeinsteps » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:30 pm

BitterAlmond wrote:It's your quad-core: I have a similar processor (but a GHz slower; you've got some processor there!) and it dies as soon as it tries to do the physics in the game. Probably around 5FPS. Slow-mo fixes it, but I'm not going to just play the game in slow-mo.
Thanks! I actually just built this computer a few months ago. Prior to, the most powerful processor I've ever had in a computer was a 1.8 GHz single core. My friends always asked me how I survived, haha.

Anyway, yeah, I may just have to put my faith in Wolfire and place a preorder. I can't do it for awhile because I'm stripped for cash at the moment.

But I won't pirate any more alphas, and I've already gotten rid of this one. I just wanted to see how it would run, and apparently that turned out to be not all that great on here. I wonder if they'll be able to fix it for our CPUs. I hope so!

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:00 am

That's nice to hear!

Last time David optimized, the game became several times faster. However, you should be aware that the optimization is likely to only happen near the end of the development... and there's still lots of ground to cover before that.