Overgrowth RPG

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Nekros22

Overgrowth RPG

Post by Nekros22 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Hello, everyone!

I've been playing around with the idea of running an Overgrowth RPG using the Savage Worlds system. It's a fun system; fast, simple, and customizable, sort of like Overgrowth!

It will be a combat-oriented game, obviously. I was thinking of setting it sometime after Turner's coup, when the Rabbits are disorganized and easy prey.

I'm just gauging interest here. If I was going to run it, what would you like to see? I'm open to pretty much anything.

Nekros22

Re: Overgrowth RPG

Post by Nekros22 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:27 pm

These are some tentative racial templates I came up with, just to give you a feel for the type of game I'd like to run.

Rabbits
Good Jumpers: Rabbits can jump 9 feet from a standstill and 12 feet with a run and go. A successful Strength roll grants three extra feet of distance.
Keen Hearing: +2 to Notice checks when listening.
Cautious: Rabbits are overly careful and will rarely engage in a fight if they can help it.

Rats:
Sneaky: Rats have a +2 to their Sneak rolls.
Low-light Vision: Ignore attack penalties for Dim and Dark Lighting.
Outsider: -2 for Charisma rolls when interacting with other races.

Cats:
Agile: Cats start with a d6 in Agility.
Low-light Vision: Ignore attack penalties for Dim and Dark Lighting.
Vow: Cats are pledged to serve their superiors.

Dogs:
Toughness: +1 to Toughness.
Keen Nose: +2 to Notice checks when smelling.
Stubborn: Dogs are very set in their ways and will refuse to admit their faults or weaknesses, even if they are painfully obvious.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Brief me, what's the Savage World's system?
I'm assuming this is some sort of table-top RPG setup? I believe I inquired on the IRC once if anyone would play a table-top style RPG if I invented one that worked via the internet as a sort of real-time chat service with support for a dice-roll syntax and such. I was told not a soul would enjoy it :lol: and that was because the real fun in these games is not the playing, but hanging out and bullshitting with friends. I agree with that, but I dig the concept.
If we could get some users together, it'd be pretty cool. I'd enjoy it, but it'd be ideal if Wolfire did a sort of get together occasionally for all the fans to come and hang out and have a chance to play once in a while. Silverfish could come, because he's totally raking in the big bucks and the Aussie users could attend as well! Yeah, because we all have ass tons of cash, I know, but it'd still be fun.

Nekros22

Post by Nekros22 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Korban3 wrote:Brief me, what's the Savage World's system?
I'm assuming this is some sort of table-top RPG setup? I believe I inquired on the IRC once if anyone would play a table-top style RPG if I invented one that worked via the internet as a sort of real-time chat service with support for a dice-roll syntax and such. I was told not a soul would enjoy it :lol: and that was because the real fun in these games is not the playing, but hanging out and bullshitting with friends. I agree with that, but I dig the concept.
If we could get some users together, it'd be pretty cool. I'd enjoy it, but it'd be ideal if Wolfire did a sort of get together occasionally for all the fans to come and hang out and have a chance to play once in a while. Silverfish could come, because he's totally raking in the big bucks and the Aussie users could attend as well! Yeah, because we all have ass tons of cash, I know, but it'd still be fun.
Ha! Having a "Let's Play" with the dev team would be hilarious. I know I'd enjoy it.

Savage Worlds' system is the picture of simplicity. Players have five attributes rated with dice: d4, d6, d8, d10, and d12. The basic mechanic is to roll your die, add any relevant modifiers, and get a 4 or better as a result. Things get a little more complicated with magic and combat, but not much more so.

There'd be no need for an elaborate online chat service, players would post in a forum thread, barring of course the "Let's Play" idea above. Die rolling would be handled by an existing, free service called Invisible Castle(http://invisiblecastle.com/).

Nekros22

Post by Nekros22 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Alternatively, we could use the Simple D6 system from those wacky guys on 4chan.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Simple_D6_-_Second_Edition

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:52 am

Sorry to come just to criticize, but you may want to rethink the stats for your rabbit jumps. As long as we're talking about 6 foot anthropomorphic rabbits, 9 and 12 feet are two very low figures. I'm 5'10 and 15, and I can do 8 from a standstill, 13 with a run, and I'm only a beginner, relatively. People like Danny Ilibaca or David Belle can get around 11 from standstill, and 18 with a run. The rabbits in OG right now probably do about 30, standing and running.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:48 am

It would be cool to do something like this, but I don't think just doing it via a forum would be as fun as having voice chat or something like that. But that will of course require several people to be on at the same time. I like the idea, but I don't know how this could be solved.

Nekros22

Post by Nekros22 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:51 pm

Silverfish wrote:It would be cool to do something like this, but I don't think just doing it via a forum would be as fun as having voice chat or something like that. But that will of course require several people to be on at the same time. I like the idea, but I don't know how this could be solved.
I've done Play-by-Post games before, they aren't awful. Nothing beats chatting with friends and describing your actions in real-time, though.

There are numerous die-rolling programs circulating around. A simple Skype set-up with a link to one of those programs is the simplest solution I can think of.
Jacktheawesome wrote:Sorry to come just to criticize, but you may want to rethink the stats for your rabbit jumps. As long as we're talking about 6 foot anthropomorphic rabbits, 9 and 12 feet are two very low figures. I'm 5'10 and 15, and I can do 8 from a standstill, 13 with a run, and I'm only a beginner, relatively. People like Danny Ilibaca or David Belle can get around 11 from standstill, and 18 with a run. The rabbits in OG right now probably do about 30, standing and running.
The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of using Savage Worlds for a casual game. Savage Worlds is simple in comparison to some other systems, but it would bog down fun roleplaying with unecessary crunch in situations like this.

I'm leaning towards the Simple D6 system from 4chan.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:41 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote:Sorry to come just to criticize, but you may want to rethink the stats for your rabbit jumps. As long as we're talking about 6 foot anthropomorphic rabbits, 9 and 12 feet are two very low figures. I'm 5'10 and 15, and I can do 8 from a standstill, 13 with a run, and I'm only a beginner, relatively. People like Danny Ilibaca or David Belle can get around 11 from standstill, and 18 with a run. The rabbits in OG right now probably do about 30, standing and running.
Derp.
I believe he means straight up. You can jump straight up 8 feet? I get like, 2or 3 feet. Maybe :lol:
This would all be great if we could get it running. Maybe we could do a sort of voice chat thing. Like maybe for after OGWeekly one episode or something.
I still want OvergrowthCon though. Or ConGrowth. Or OverCon. Or WolfireCon. They all work well, and it'd probably end up being small. Like 10 people, beside the devs.
Who wants to go see a guy with a history of pink beards, an evil twin, a baws artist and a guy who programs home-brewed game engines alone anyways? That could neeever be fun.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:35 pm

Korban3 wrote:
Derp.
I believe he means straight up. You can jump straight up 8 feet? I get like, 2or 3 feet. Maybe :lol:
Why would he mean straight up? You don't get more height from running... :P

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56 am

So? They're 6 foot tall rabbits! They already blew every law of nature out the fuckin' window!

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:07 am

How? Just because 6 foot tall rabbits haven't evolved, it doesn't mean they couldn't. They're not disobeying laws of nature, just living in a different nature. However, physics is an old grumpy geezer, and he says jumping doesn't work like that. He says jumping straight up has to do with how much tension you can build and and how quickly you can release it, while jumping out has more to do with carrying momentum forward. Therefore, a run would only assist you for outward jumps, while actually making upward jumps less effective. And then he says "Get off my lawn!" and shakes his cane.

Nekros22

Post by Nekros22 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:02 am

So here's what I'm thinking:

If it's a Play-by-Post type of setup, I'll use the Simple D6 system. It was designed specifically for that kind of play format.

If it's a live-chat setup, I think I'm going to use Savage Worlds.

Updated Rabbit race stats:

Rabbits
Good Jumpers: Rabbits can jump 18 feet from a standstill and 24 feet with a run and go. A successful Strength roll grants three extra feet of distance.
Keen Hearing: +2 to Notice checks when listening.
Cautious: Rabbits are overly careful and will rarely engage in a fight if they can help it.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:15 am

:D

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Endoface_excited.jpg
Endoface_excited.jpg (90.63 KiB) Viewed 8151 times