Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
User avatar
NoSkillz
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:58 pm

Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by NoSkillz » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:01 pm

While I think the $30 I spent to play the Alpha builds and get secret forum access was well worth it, I think the price tag may be a bit high.
My main reason for saying this is that I've been showing the game off to friends who react with enthusiasm at the great mechanics and excitedly ask me how much the game costs. When I tell them its thirty bucks most of them instantly admit that they no longer wish to buy it.

I think the Wolfire team could greatly increase their profits by lowing the price, even by a small margin.

Discuss?

User avatar
tannim
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by tannim » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:34 pm

If it is still working, tell them to use trial pay.

User avatar
last
Posts: 2154
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:02 am
Location: Estonia

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by last » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:36 am

First you have to understand this is an alpha version of a game and allot of people don't understand that, because it looks like finished game already, but it's not. So 30$ is keeping away some people that might not understand that, otherwise they have constant wine about the game not running well or have some other problems with it. Like lagging ragdolls, blood effects slowing down their FPS or lack of optimization.

User avatar
Jacktheawesome
Posts: 2406
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:06 am
Location: In Zulway's foot palace.
Contact:

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:28 pm

It's true. The game gives you so much at this point, and looks so nice that it's easy to mistake it for an overpriced beta game. But there is so much more development left to go...

User avatar
Korban3
Posts: 4146
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 pm
Location: 42nd St E, Hell

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by Korban3 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:43 pm

I think you're all complaining because it's indie and costs more than Minecraft. Srsly guys. Which has better graphics, animations, effects, story (At least, I'm hoping it'll be better. Not a truly challenging things to beat Skyrim at) and gameplay: Skyrim or Overgrowth? And which one costs more? WTF Overgrowth isn't even in beta yet. Besides, they have to support themselves somehow? I believe David had some plan to keep Overgrowth developing, even if they never sold a single copy, but I can't imagine that involved living in the Ritz.

User avatar
Jacktheawesome
Posts: 2406
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:06 am
Location: In Zulway's foot palace.
Contact:

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:11 pm

Exactly. Indie games that outdo AAA titles deserve to be priced as much as AAA titles. Luckily, despite this Wolfire decided to pull it back to a perfectly reasonable $30. As in, instead of $50-60.

User avatar
akazi
Posts: 1935
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:14 pm
Location: Montgomery, Alabama

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by akazi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote:Exactly. Indie games that outdo AAA titles deserve to be priced as much as AAA titles. Luckily, despite this Wolfire decided to pull it back to a perfectly reasonable $30. As in, instead of $50-60.
this+100 :mrgreen: i definitely agree.

User avatar
NoSkillz
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:58 pm

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by NoSkillz » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Put into that perspective, I totally agree. I just wish my darn friends would hurry up and buy this game.
They seem totally willing to pump 70 bucks into an overhyped game to buy it on the day of release. :|

User avatar
Korban3
Posts: 4146
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 pm
Location: 42nd St E, Hell

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by Korban3 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Like MW3. It looks just like MW2, there were people fooled by a video of MW2 into thinking it was MW# before release. Absolute tardedness. So they throw a 90 dollar preorder at them and think it's reasonable. AAA titles are often overpriced. I wouldn't pay 60 for a lot of them.

XSM
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:56 am
Location: Montreal

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by XSM » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:09 pm

I didn't buy Overgrowth yet, but I'm planning on buying it soon. In my opinion, 30$ is a bit expensive for a beta game. I mean, if we compare it to Minecraft who was 20$ during his alpha / beta, it may only look like 10$ more, but it's 150% his price.

Also, will we have to pay again when the full game will be released? Or will our payment for the Alpha/Beta will cover it?

User avatar
Anton
pretty cool guy
Posts: 3327
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by Anton » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:50 pm

XSM wrote:I didn't buy Overgrowth yet, but I'm planning on buying it soon. In my opinion, 30$ is a bit expensive for a beta game. I mean, if we compare it to Minecraft who was 20$ during his alpha / beta, it may only look like 10$ more, but it's 150% his price.

Also, will we have to pay again when the full game will be released? Or will our payment for the Alpha/Beta will cover it?
When you pre-order the game, you are buying the final version, the alpha/beta builds are bonuses for you as a thanks.

And, does this game really compare to minecraft? And should that kind of comparison be apt? If you must compare it to another Indie game, I would look at NS2, which sells for $40...

User avatar
Jacktheawesome
Posts: 2406
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:06 am
Location: In Zulway's foot palace.
Contact:

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Anton wrote:
XSM wrote:I didn't buy Overgrowth yet, but I'm planning on buying it soon. In my opinion, 30$ is a bit expensive for a beta game. I mean, if we compare it to Minecraft who was 20$ during his alpha / beta, it may only look like 10$ more, but it's 150% his price.

Also, will we have to pay again when the full game will be released? Or will our payment for the Alpha/Beta will cover it?
When you pre-order the game, you are buying the final version, the alpha/beta builds are bonuses for you as a thanks.

And, does this game really compare to minecraft? And should that kind of comparison be apt? If you must compare it to another Indie game, I would look at NS2, which sells for $40...
I agree, apples and oranges here...
Wolfire is selling their finished product as a preorder, but with the bonus of new content every week. The way Notch did it was cool, but Wolfire is well within their rights to price it like this. Most companies that run preorders only give you some small extra feature when the game is released anyways.

User avatar
Korban3
Posts: 4146
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 pm
Location: 42nd St E, Hell

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by Korban3 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:00 am

Didn't know NS2 was $40... I still want to get it, but I know damn well it would never run on my current system. This puppy can just handle buffering a Youtube video or Soundcloud file, so no amount of godly netcode could save it.
Yeah, Minecraft really isn't a good comparison to Overgrowth. Overgrowth is at a higher caliber than Minecraft is, not to downplay Minecraft. It was and is successful, but it isn't as remarkable as some of the technology in Overgrowth. I'm fairly sure that if David was more well-known, he'd probably have some sort of award sitting on his desk that praises his awesomeness. Then again, wasn't he offered a Valve job or something before he even went to college? Can someone confirm/shoot-down this factoid?
And it is true that the Alphas are a bonus. For preordering, we are only truly guaranteed a finished product. David could just scrap the entire weekly alpha thing and just keep working on Overgrowth until he releases the final product. And we're all very lucky that the alpha is so resembling of a finished product to begin with. Can you imagine what it's gonna look like and play like in Beta? Oh. My. God.

User avatar
Anton
pretty cool guy
Posts: 3327
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by Anton » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:05 am

Korban3 wrote:
[+] snip
Didn't know NS2 was $40... I still want to get it, but I know damn well it would never run on my current system. This puppy can just handle buffering a Youtube video or Soundcloud file, so no amount of godly netcode could save it.
Yeah, Minecraft really isn't a good comparison to Overgrowth. Overgrowth is at a higher caliber than Minecraft is, not to downplay Minecraft. It was and is successful, but it isn't as remarkable as some of the technology in Overgrowth. I'm fairly sure that if David was more well-known, he'd probably have some sort of award sitting on his desk that praises his awesomeness.
Then again, wasn't he offered a Valve job or something before he even went to college? Can someone confirm/shoot-down this factoid?
[+] snip again
And it is true that the Alphas are a bonus. For preordering, we are only truly guaranteed a finished product. David could just scrap the entire weekly alpha thing and just keep working on Overgrowth until he releases the final product. And we're all very lucky that the alpha is so resembling of a finished product to begin with. Can you imagine what it's gonna look like and play like in Beta? Oh. My. God.
In David's introduction blog post, it says he was offered jobs at several companies:

"I remember when David and I were maybe six or seven, we really liked the game Monkey Island. We wrote a letter to LucasArts saying how much we loved their game and we really wanted to work for them. LucasArts of course said "thanks, but no thanks". I think that's what got us started in computer programming. Ironically, in high school and college, David started getting job offers from a number of companies: namely, Blizzard, Ubisoft, Raven, and Crytek. No LucasArts :(. Of course, they did not know that David was ~16 at the time."

User avatar
Korban3
Posts: 4146
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 pm
Location: 42nd St E, Hell

Re: Concerning the Preorder Price of Overgrowth

Post by Korban3 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:11 am

Yeah... David's awesome.

Post Reply