The Broadside Express - Continued

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: The Broadside Express - Continued

Post by Jeff » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Hey guys, I talked to Aubrey, David, and Anton and added this license to The Broadside Express source: https://raw.github.com/gist/f4ac706e355 ... tfile1.txt

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:30 pm

awesome :mrgreen:

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Alright, thanks for the heads up Jeff!

wingedwolf123

Post by wingedwolf123 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:46 pm

Korban3 wrote:Hmm, I've got a Buggy prefab, but I can't get it to load in the LevelScript.js file. David didn't use the scene editor to place his objects at all, and nothing is done using Unity's GUI. He's obviously very capable with Unity :lol: because I can't figure out jack-shit about how to get the scripts to load my pre-fab.
His LevelScript looks like this in the inspector panel:
NOTHING_EXISTS.png
The Buggy_object is my prefab. I put in the line in the code just like his:
var buggy_object : GameObject;

But it says that it isn't assigned and then stuff breaks. But I looked through all the scripts and David's prefabs are never assigned, they're just declared at the top of LevelScript.js
I am so confused by David's methods :lol:

EDIT: You use W to accelrate, D to reverse, A and D to turn. Use Q and E to fire port and starboard. Backup to other train cars to attach them. Tab makes the slo-mo turn on.

Yeah i was pretty much having the same problem , i was extremely confused at first and yes so far david is more capable with unity than most users i have seen so far ... lol i ve not seen a setup like his at all ... i loaded up the script editor and just sat down and read thru them and looked up things i didnt know... i know the method i chose to do is extremely slow seeing how i could have just worked around it , instead i opened a new project and started rebuilding it with how i originally learned using the gui ... lol sadly i have to say Davids skills are lightyears ahead of mine

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:06 am

Yeah, he just loaded everything through the scripts and I was like "Whoa, home brewed game engines much?". I managed to start coping with his awesome eventually. I know a lot of the ins and outs of some of his scripts now and have been working on a side project to familiarize myself with Unity more. My project is actually coming along well. I've written all the script to get a player character working without the Character Controller (Like a baws). It'll be a basic platformer, with some cool stuff. Nothing ultra amazing until I have more time to commit to Unity fun taim (Read: finish Dominance).
I've also begun to get a real hold on 3D math, especially different rotation methods, and this is putting me in a good spot to finish my first person mod (Everyone rejoice NAO).

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:30 pm

I don't know if this is useful to anyone, but archives from the livestream are still up, which might shed some light on how the game works:

http://www.twitch.tv/wolfiredavid/b/308873949

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Cool, thanks David! That will help with a lot.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:27 pm

Double posts are aewsum.
Just read David's blog post as well. Want to know another good cure for procrastination? Having the man who inspired you and who you damn-near idolize mention you in a blog post and a project you're working on.
Now I really feel like I have to work hard on this :lol: Well, that brings it to three medium sized projects I'm working on:
Dominance,
The Broadside Express,
and a Unity platformer, just for fun.

I don't get a lot of feedback on Dominance, most of the time. Of the folks who've checked it out; would you rather see me move to another main project or keep going with Dominance?

Anyways, I've also been using the platformer project to learn how to even use Unity. Hopefully, work on TBE will be a little easier now.

Cheers, everyone!

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 pm

Korban3 wrote:Double posts are aewsum.
Just read David's blog post as well. Want to know another good cure for procrastination? Having the man who inspired you and who you damn-near idolize mention you in a blog post and a project you're working on.
Now I really feel like I have to work hard on this :lol: Well, that brings it to three medium sized projects I'm working on:
Dominance,
The Broadside Express,
and a Unity platformer, just for fun.

I don't get a lot of feedback on Dominance, most of the time. Of the folks who've checked it out; would you rather see me move to another main project or keep going with Dominance?

Anyways, I've also been using the platformer project to learn how to even use Unity. Hopefully, work on TBE will be a little easier now.

Cheers, everyone!
gonna check out dominance right now and give you some feedback. don't worry bby. soon.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks, just posted it in the Dominance thread in Randomness, but I'll be uploading the more recent build soon and then going to work on getting it cross-platform for Mac and Linux. REJOICE UNDERTHEDEEP, REJOICE!

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:40 pm

Korban3 wrote:Thanks, just posted it in the Dominance thread in Randomness, but I'll be uploading the more recent build soon and then going to work on getting it cross-platform for Mac and Linux. REJOICE UNDERTHEDEEP, REJOICE!

THATS GREAT!!!!!

because i just tried running the current build in parallels and it didn't work! :(
i got an error saying "blahblahblah could not install because MSVCP100.DLL was not found" or something like that. booo.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:18 am

FUCK YOU, VISUAL STUDIO!!!
That's that god damn VS exclusive error. It's a visual studio redistributable bull shit .dll file. You can try adding the .dll file to the Dominance folder. I put a dl of it up on my blog, but I can't guarantee it'll work. Worth a shot, though.
So, what's the gameplan for SFML? XCode for Mac, GCC for Linux, Code::Blocks for Win? That's what I gather from google searches and personal VS experience.
Relocate conversation to dedicated Dominance thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13945

EDIT: And you can all mod-powers spoiler tag my swearing too. I've been here for almost seven months or something, and no one had a problem with it before. Although the bit about ducks in iron lungs with terminal cancer was more than I usually do.

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:54 pm

If you need a fancy feature added, just hit me up on the IRC. I've been using Unity for a little while now. So, just hit me up if you need some coding done!

(I'm pretty tired. Forming sentences is a pain right now...)

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Sweet, thanks. Real quick, is there a way to check for collisions using a call from code? Like, I have a character and I want to see if he is on the ground or just touching a wall when he is colliding. Is there a call like:

Code: Select all

if (GetCollisionSphere(Vector3(Player foot position), radius)) { 
     on_ground = true;
} else {
     on_ground = false;
}
Where sphere is a sphere with a radius smaller than the character position at his feet via (x,y,z);

SamW

Post by SamW » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:07 am

You should look at the Collision object you get on a OnCollisionEnter callback.

http://unity3d.com/support/documentatio ... ision.html