Wolfire Meetup at GDC 2012 [updated on 3/08/12]

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Johannes

Wolfire Meetup at GDC 2012 [updated on 3/08/12]

Post by Johannes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:56 pm

Wolfire Meetup at GDC 2012
  • Hi guys, Aaron and myself will be at GDC 2012 this March in San Francisco. We're organizing a meetup for wolfire fans at GDC, however you do not need to be attending to GDC to be able to come!

For those curious, David, Jeff and John will be at GDC. Aubrey sadly won't be able to make it. I've also heard that there may be an Overgrowth booth but that's not 100% confirmed yet.
The Details:
  • Where:
    • Meetup: Yerba Buena Gardens: http://g.co/maps/terq3 We will meet by the bridge that connects Moscone north and South, on the 'Moscone South' side

Destination: The Humble Indie Bundle Office: http://g.co/maps/f74a4 If you need to be let in just text/call Johannes or Aaron (see 'Contact')
    When:
    • Thursday - March 8th at around 6:00-6:30pm, and lasting until probably about 2-3 hours later.
    Info:
    • We will first meet up and mingle at the park.

Jeff has graciously suggested that we could order pizza and use the Humble Bundle offices (which are just a block or so away) as our final meeting place. The exact details are still being worked out.

Jeff, John and David have each said that they will maybe be there, but given their crazy schedules during GDC they cannot yet guarantee that they'll have time. They did say that they'll try to be there though, and we certainly couldn't ask for more =)

Please let us know in the comments if you think you may be able to come, or even if you will be in the area at all during the duration of the convention (march 5-9th)!

Aaron

Re: Wolfire Meetup at GDC 2012

Post by Aaron » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:42 am

Come join us! :)

akazi

Post by akazi » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:48 am

sounds cool, i wont be there sorry but have fun you guys.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:02 am

[+] Swearing, NSFW
:evil: FUCK A DUCK IN AN IRON LUNG WITH TERMINAL CANCER, JESUS CHRIST!
San Fran, really? I TOTALLY feel everything implied by my rare use of enlarged and colored font and commonly reused swear words. Wish I could be there, but there is no way I could get to San Francisco.
I missed PAX and fealt silly, but I simply didn't know about it until long after passes sold out. But this is just a ridiculous transportation issue. GOD THIS SUCKS!
*PISSED OFF AT LOCATION OF HOME SIGH* I'll just have to try and make it next year. Hopefully I don't end up stationed in Yuka Suka or some far out place. I'd freakin' love to meet all y'all. Maybe some of David's genius would rub off on me. *Wishful Thinking FTW*
AND I could meet Jeff! :o
AND John :shock:
But not Aubrey :cry:

Wish I could go so bad.
Unless anyone is willing buy a round trip airline ticket for Seatac-San Fran area? No luggage fees, I pack light :wink: And srsly, put me in the cargo hold for all I care: beggars can't be choosers.

Anyways, Overgrowth booth? That'd be cool. Do the devs realize that once a large portion of more mainstream people get over the 6-foot-tall-ninja-rabbit initial response "OMG WTF is this I don't even?", that they will have so much money thrown at them daily, that they'd probably be able to buy a whole apartment building just for Wolfire? *Hint hint, do it*
Can't wait for beta also, it's gonna be sick and amazinger than the alphas are.

*mod edit: put the swears in a spoiler ;) -Johannes*

akazi

Post by akazi » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:16 am

Korban3 wrote:
[+] quote
:evil: FUCK A DUCK IN AN IRON LUNG WITH TERMINAL CANCER, JESUS CHRIST!
San Fran, really? I TOTALLY feel everything implied by my rare use of enlarged and colored font and commonly reused swear words. Wish I could be there, but there is no way I could get to San Francisco.
I missed PAX and fealt silly, but I simply didn't know about it until long after passes sold out. But this is just a ridiculous transportation issue. GOD THIS SUCKS!
*PISSED OFF AT LOCATION OF HOME SIGH* I'll just have to try and make it next year. Hopefully I don't end up stationed in Yuka Suka or some far out place. I'd freakin' love to meet all y'all. Maybe some of David's genius would rub off on me. *Wishful Thinking FTW*
AND I could meet Jeff! :o
AND John :shock:
But not Aubrey :cry:

Wish I could go so bad.
Unless anyone is willing buy a round trip airline ticket for Seatac-San Fran area? No luggage fees, I pack light :wink: And srsly, put me in the cargo hold for all I care: beggars can't be choosers.

Anyways, Overgrowth booth? That'd be cool. Do the devs realize that once a large portion of more mainstream people get over the 6-foot-tall-ninja-rabbit initial response "OMG WTF is this I don't even?", that they will have so much money thrown at them daily, that they'd probably be able to buy a whole apartment building just for Wolfire? *Hint hint, do it*
Can't wait for beta also, it's gonna be sick and amazinger than the alphas are.
made me lol :lol: , its okay let your anger out. :wink:

Saedz

Post by Saedz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:49 am

Dudes not cool, why march? why can't we wait for June or something when everyone is in vacation, even i could come too. :(

i'm planning of travelling a lot during summer so this would have been cool thing to come to.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:17 am

Saedz wrote:Dudes not cool, why march? why can't we wait for June or something when everyone is in vacation, even i could come too. :(

I'm planning of travelling a lot during summer so this would have been cool thing to come to.
Hehe, unfortunately we have no power over when GDC is.
Would be awesome to have a meetup during the summer too, though I personally may not be able to make it (living in the midwest). We'll see =)

Kharl

Post by Kharl » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:12 pm

So I have been on the fence on attending GDC this year. I went two years ago, and the sessions were fairly 'meh' and though tthere were a couple of companies on exhibit I wanted to see (Rocksmith was very cool, and theres people at at other companies I know and visited) there was not much to justify the cost and time away from work.

But, if you guys are going to be there, that may balance the scales a little more in favor of going.

dash3k3

Post by dash3k3 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:06 pm

D: I wish I could come!! There should also be a meeting at defcon as well!! I will see what I can do to go down there though!

Jazzmutant

Post by Jazzmutant » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:09 am

Sounds like fun. I'm only like an hour or two from SF anyways. Might not be able to drop the cash for that o-so delectable All-Access pass, but it'd be nice to meet a few of ya.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:37 am

Jazzmutant wrote:Sounds like fun. I'm only like an hour or two from SF anyways. Might not be able to drop the cash for that o-so delectable All-Access pass, but it'd be nice to meet a few of ya.
That'd be awesome if you could! I've added some preliminary info of when we might have the meet-up. let us know how well that might work!

Jazzmutant

Re: Wolfire Meetup at GDC 2012 [updated on 2/23/12]

Post by Jazzmutant » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:45 am

So far sounds good. I've got classes from Tue-Thurs but they end at 4:30 the latest so I'd have no troubles getting there by then (6/6:30). I look forward to it!

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:58 pm

I swear, if I magically come by the money and time to come down for this, I will so be there.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:52 pm

Ok, so I just checked on Google maps:
It's about 13.9 miles, straightest route via roads, from San Fran International Airport to the Gardens.
If I go on foot, I can cover that in about 4 or 5 maybe 6 hours, if I keep a good pace and don't walk too much of it. It looks like I could cut North through San Bruno Mountain State Park and carve off maybe a mile of travel though, assuming it is open to the public (Doubt it) and easy to travel through. That's not factoring in rests for pissing, eating, drinking and catching my breath.
So assuming I can get down to San Francisco, I could get to you guys , for sure, on time if I arrive in San Fran and set off before 9 o' clock. Thankfully, I'd not get any jet lag nor need to travel/rest at night before I got to you guys. That'd just downright suck in San Fran, as I'm assuming travelling 13 miles on foot is risky business enough during the day time?

Air fare :?
Wait, do the airlines allow a minor to fly alone? Ok, it appears that I'll be a-ok on that front.
EDIT: Why the hell was I looking at a March 7 return? Erase all previous info, start over: I want Friday for the return. Recheck teh prices nao!
Ok, both Travelocity and Orbitz concur: lots of options for $177 round trips that's allow me to arrive and travel to the Gardens on Wednesday, hang out on Thursday, and then get back to the Airport and leave on Friday.
EDIT: Snipped info that cleared up a bit.
Anyone from the area able to give me a reliable average of daytime and nighttime temperatures for this time of year?

This is probably the least safe thing I could think of doing for a trip, minus base jumping or 80s-action-movie-hero-fighting drug cartels, but is there anything/places someone from the area might suggest sticking to/avoiding to stay a little bit safer? I don't feel like dying, breaking limbs, losing fingers, being kidnapped, getting run over, creeper raped, shot at, knifed or mugged while I'm there :lol:
And could I ask Aubrey or David to grab a Wolfire T-Shirt before they head out for GDC, if my trip goes through? I'd like to buy one of those while I'm down there.
Last edited by Korban3 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jazzmutant

Post by Jazzmutant » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:23 am

San Francisco = Guaranteed Rape