I will buy a gaming PC just so I can play Overgrowth

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
SuicideMouse

I will buy a gaming PC just so I can play Overgrowth

Post by SuicideMouse » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Let me start off by saying that I've been a console gamer my entire life, only playing Quake, Delta Force etc on PCs. Because of this I don't understand anything about PC hardware or software, I hate dealing with problems, crashes and solutions of software and hardware to me is alien tech. In short, I'm lost when it comes to technical subjects.
I own a PS3 and a 360 and I'm happy and satisfied with it, so I didn't saw a gaming PC anywhere in my future. That was until seeing an early teaser video on Youtube for Overgrowth. Since then I watched all videos of the official channel and several others of youtube commentators, and it just grew more and more on me. I played Lugaru and loved it, played all the downloadable campaigns, messed with custom skins and decals, just had a good time with it, but now I need more.
I'm aware how insane and stupid must this look to some people, a gaming PC just so you can play one game?! I can't really argument, I just love the game on every single aspect, I love the art, the mechanics, the concept, the backstory, the scenarios, the gameplay, everything. I admire Wolfire's work more than I did with any other dev team.

Anyway, it's because of this that I can't wait for the specs to come out, I need the Alpha as soon as I can get it, so I need to buy a good PC. Things is, my case is pretty singular, as pretty much everyone already has a PC, so they download the game and see if it runs, so the game revolves around the PC. With me I'll buy the PC just so I can play the game, so my whole computer will revolve around the game, which means I need to know what kind of computer I'd need to have to run Overgrowth with everything on max (or near), so I wouldn't buy one too expensive for the over the top games (I have no interest in playing anything higher than Overgrowth) or buy one too cheap to run the game I bought the computer for in the first place.

Because there isn't any official requirements yet I need help, any help, any advice. If you understand about pc gaming and can already run the alpha on max with your hardware and can help me, I'd appreciate a lot. If you have any idea near of what the requirements might be on the final release, it would help too. Anyway, anything will help. Thanks for your time, sorry for the stupid huge post.

Freshbite

Re: I will buy a gaming PC just so I can play Overgrowth

Post by Freshbite » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:25 am

I like you! First post, and it's one of the most dense admiration I've seen in a long time.

As the game is at the time, being able to play the game in the highest setting, on the highest resolution requires nothing but a computer of the highest capability. They still have much to do when it comes to compatibility and hardware saving techniques. These are things that are sure to be fixed before the actual release, however.

Anyway, for someone to give an estimate on what kind of hardware is applicable, you might aswell ask the developers themselves. If you forward your post to [[email protected]] I'm sure they will be able to help you out.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Hey I got my pc so's I could play overgrowth, so no worries about us thinking less of you.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:23 am

Yeah this is really tough, because the game is more demanding now than it will be when released. So if you get a computer that's good enough to max the game now, then your computer will be "too strong" when the game is released. Or maybe more things will be added for people with really good computers, making the game even more demanding if you want it to be, nobody knows.

Just getting a standard gaming rig should be fine though I think. So like an i5 processor and some medium-good gaming graphics card, I use an Nvidia GTX470 and that works fine. You can probably get away with 4GB of RAM, but RAM is quite cheap so you might want to get 8 just in case.

If you don't want to spend a week or so researching exactly what to get for your computer, I suggest you look at the pre-built packages that some online PC stores have. And I'm not talking about branded computers (like HP, or Dell), but computers that have been put together by those who run the store. Don't get a branded computer, you get less for more money, they often have special solutions and yeah they're just all around a bad choice.

Any standard modern gaming rig should be able to max the game right now in alpha, but if you add like 12 enemies or too many objects, any computer will be getting slow right now just because the game is not optimized.

If you find a computer that you consider getting, post it here so we can take a look to compare the components to our own and perhaps we can give you an estimate for how well they will work with Overgrowth.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:44 am

Silverfish wrote:If you find a computer that you consider getting, post it here so we can take a look to compare the components to our own and perhaps we can give you an estimate for how well they will work with Overgrowth.
This sounds like the best option right now. I'm sorry that we aren't able to give you a direct answer, but computers get a bit complicated.

SuicideMouse

Post by SuicideMouse » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Hello again. Thank you all for your replies and your help.
Like Freshbit suggested, I've send an e-mail for Wolfire with the question, and I got a reply from Eric Samuel (Which I'd like to thanks in here. Don't want to clutter their inbox thanking the reply), that said he can't be accurate because the requirements will change wildly, but he did say "They are definitely higher now than they will be.". Because of this I'm thinking of getting something to run the Alpha on a decent status, but not extremely high with everything on max.

I'll see if I post the system here for some advice.
Count Roland wrote:Hey I got my pc so's I could play overgrowth, so no worries about us thinking less of you.
That's nice to read, I'm not the only one on this boat. Could you please post the system you got to play it? :)

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:47 pm

haha well unfortunately I got it when overgrowth was first announced, so I didn't really have any idea what the specs would be on the alphas, but it definitely runs it better than my old powerbook G4 would've. I can tell you that you'll probably want better than a geforce 8500 for your video card (not hard to do) and probably something more than a 3ghz dual core processor(also probably not hard to do), but same as what they (the people above me) said, it's probably best to just post what you're thinking of getting and have people tell you whether that's smart. There really are quite a few options.

Jazzmutant

Post by Jazzmutant » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Personally, I've got an iMac running Win7. It has a 3.06 Ghz Dual Core processor, 8 gigs of RAM, and a Radeon HD 4670. The game can be pretty choppy on my native resolution (1920x1080) and only a few bots (I believe it's my CPU bottlenecking).

That being said:

You'll probably want nothing less than a Core 2 Quad processor for the alphas. Maybe no less than 4 gigs of RAM? (?) [I'd recommend 8 though, for any computer] and a newer graphics card with at least 256mb dedicated RAM. But bigger is always better, so if you can get 16 gigs of RAM, an i7 processor, and a gfx card with 1g dedicated RAM, then do it.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:14 am

Jazzmutant wrote:Personally, I've got an iMac running Win7. It has a 3.06 Ghz Dual Core processor, 8 gigs of RAM, and a Radeon HD 4670. The game can be pretty choppy on my native resolution (1920x1080) and only a few bots (I believe it's my CPU bottlenecking).

That being said:

You'll probably want nothing less than a Core 2 Quad processor for the alphas. Maybe no less than 4 gigs of RAM? (?) [I'd recommend 8 though, for any computer] and a newer graphics card with at least 256mb dedicated RAM. But bigger is always better, so if you can get 16 gigs of RAM, an i7 processor, and a gfx card with 1g dedicated RAM, then do it.
Only up to the limits he'll end up using these features. If 16 GB of RAM won't help Overgrowth, it's useless for him and will just end up being an unnecessary expense.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:49 am

I've personally got 4 * i5's @ 3.3 Ghz, Nvidia geforce gtx 570, 8 Gb ram, playing overgrowth with 200+ FPS in normal scenarios. This should be more than enough to just play OG.
Last edited by SteelRaven7 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monkeyy

Post by Monkeyy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:26 am

SteelRaven7 wrote:I've personally got 4 * i5's @ 3.3 Ghz, Nvidia geforce gtx 570, 8 Gb ram, playing overgrowth with 200+ in normal scenarios. This should be more than enough to just play OG.
Show off >_>

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:39 am

SteelRaven7 wrote:I've personally got 4 * i5's @ 3.3 Ghz, Nvidia geforce gtx 570, 8 Gb ram, playing overgrowth with 200+ FPS in normal scenarios. This should be more than enough to just play OG.
EDIT: Edit failure! But i'll leave it here just for funsies, also Monkeyy: I'm sorry :D:D:D

SuicideMouse

Post by SuicideMouse » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:09 am

Like suggested, here's my current specs
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz
2.6 GHz CPU speed
2.1 GB Ram
Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

I believe that switching these might be enough:
CPU I3 2100
VGA HD6750 1GB DDR3 XFX

If not, this is what have been given to me as options for a new PC build, which would make the price go way up.

CASE CM ELITE 430
Power Supply MTEK 460W
HD 500GB SEAGATE 7200.12 32MB SATA3
Mother Board MOBO ASUS P8H61
MEMORY 2X2GB DDR3 1333MHZ KINGSTON

Let me now what you think.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:07 am

That particular graphics card doesn't seem to be listed in the wiki. However, 6750M is. The M means it's a mobile version of the same card, which is less powerful.
In short, it should be good enough.

I don't know about the CPU, better wait for another opinion on that.
Are you sure that the i3 CPU fits into your current motherboard's CPU socket? That motherboard and CPU look like they use Socket 775, but it seems like there's no i3 processors available that fit into it. It looks like Xeon processors are available for socket 775, though. If someone knows more about these, perhaps they could join in?