forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:59 am

Holy-crap!
That-Is-Cool.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:28 am

It sure is!

And you don't need headphones to hear it well, it sounds great in your average speakers, and fully 3D (Assuming you have stereo speakers, and I don't think I've ever seen non-stereo computer speakers…)

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:34 am

holophonic > stereophonic.
But... some of you already have a real surround set already.

I think I've already said this, but... The closest sound should come to visualization, is living thing's reaction to it... imho.
And if you stop up, after like... 5 seconds, the sounds could be greatly enhanced... a little more spacey, yet contrasty? and the music could tone down, as long as villager's random chippering. Focusing your hearing, you know...
I don't think echo would do good.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:48 pm

The echo was just for effect, but we can forget that.

And yes, that was my "Enhanced Sound" idea, Nuky.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:57 pm

Jeff wrote:
Kalexon wrote:Just my two cents:
How about we go with the "standing still you start the listen" thing, but once that happens instead of seeing wavy lines or crazy stuff like that, if there is anything interesting going on within earshot (fighting, running, walking, etc.) then you faintly hear it and your ears start pointing in that direction. But not like some crazy thing like if the sound is behind you your ears spin around to face the back of your head, more like they start pointing a bit towards the right or left until you spin around to face it, and the closer/far away the bearing you face the direction the sound is coming from the more louder/quieter the sound gets.
As I said, just my two cents.
That's a good idea, it fits with Lugaru's philosophy of subtlety really well.
Gets my vote.

The only question I have is about multiple sounds - but then i suppose that you simply make the nearest one to your facing become the focus, so you just have to turn to listen to different sounds.

Actually that might be quite nice for a loose-lock in combat... If anyone has played Gothic 2 they'll know what I mean by loose-lock (and you can download the demo to see).

It keeps the camera facing the opponent and essentially locks you to a character if you are within a reasonable striking distance and facing them. You stop moving the mouse while they are centred and your motion will continue to keep them centred in the screen. You don't need to touch the mouse. Want to unlock or change targets? Just change your facing with the mouse again! The mouselook always overrides the lock.

I think its a little rough around the edges in Gothic 2, but the idea is solid enough. Of course it might not fit Lugaru 2, but I think having facing and circling during combat could be useful - especially as weapons are going to be more prominent (or so it sounds).

Sorry thats a little off-topic :P sort of made the connection mid-post :D

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:28 pm

That'd be a good thing to have in the options screen, and a key that stops you moving but still changes the direction you're facing when you press movement keys might be a good idea too.