How to punch

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Endoperez

Re: How to punch

Post by Endoperez » Wed May 09, 2012 3:07 am

Glabbit wrote:And suddenly we've changed from berating pirates and berating people who berate pirates to sharing pieces of music?

Sweet.
Especially since we're sharing pieces of music we don't own. Blasted pirates!

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed May 09, 2012 5:18 am

Indeedly so! Thank goodness we all have each other for keeping ourselves on the right path, yes?
The Wolfire community will now and forever be a nice place to be!
(ALL CHEER/JOYOUS MUSIC)

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Those are both awesome pieces. But I like the Pirate one better. Sorry Glabbit <3

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed May 09, 2012 7:24 pm

This is such an awesome way for this thread to end up. It feels so warm, and cathartic.

I recently took up mandolin, and as such, heard about Chris Thile. Here he is in one of his bands, singing about cheap grain alcohol, which I'm sure tastes fantastic. Awesome song.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:01 am

:O I want a mandolin.
I'm about to pick up accordion again, my friends, but it's for a jazz combo my band instructor is starting up. You heard right, kiddies.
Jazz Accordion.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu May 10, 2012 12:23 am

It's pretty cool. I've played violin for 11 years, and I wanted to add a fretted strumming type instrument to my collection. Mandolin is tuned the same way as a violin, so the two will only end up helping each other. I suck right now (been playing for 5 days) but at least I know which notes are where.
Jazz accordion. Wow. do you have any recordings?

I hate to ask, but...is this red text going to be a thing? My eyes are already in protest :/

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:41 am

Awesome. I have a violin, but I don't play it much. I play lots of trombone though.
No recordings yet, jazz combo hasn't started since we don't have our books yet :/
Yes, it's staying for a long time.
Love it or shut up <3

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu May 10, 2012 1:01 am

Ooh, trombone. I tried playing one of those once. First thing I did was drop the slide, second thing I did was suck. Or blow. Both.
Oh, well that'll be cool. My school has a jazz ensemble, in which I play my electric violin. Nothing as interesting as an accordionist though. What you learn in highschool: half the musicians play guitar, one quarter play sax, the rest play piano. Some percentage of each of the above group can also play drums.

Hah. You forgot. :3

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu May 10, 2012 2:53 am

Korban3 wrote:Those are both awesome pieces. But I like the Pirate one better. Sorry Glabbit <3
Oh, was it supposed to be a contest? No one told me.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu May 10, 2012 3:11 am

I wanted to post the Mushishi version of the Carol of the Old Ones. Carol of the Old Ones is the Christmas song Carol of the Bells rewritten as the lamentation of the world's end at the hands of Lovecraft's creatures. Any way, since I couldn't find that, you'll have to do with another unholy combination:

(just wait until you see the tutu)

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Thu May 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Ceceli wrote:I like to know what my money is buy before I give to someone. Don't get me wrong, I wanna support the team, and I'll be buying it really soon, but first I just gotta sate my curiosity. And by the way, you guys are so protective of this game/developers that you come out as rude people making NOT wanna buy, cause I don't really care about the secret forum if there is gonna be people like you. Although, thanks to the fare people that remained cool on this so stressed times, lol.
There are plenty of videos that allow you to know what your money is for before you buy Overgrowth.

There is also a Lugaru demo which will allow you to get a fair idea of OG's fighting mechanics at a starter level.

Pirating has NO EXCUSE.

Firstly, it is illegal. However, I don't care for laws written by assholes at the top and will instead focus on a moral argument.

Pirating at it's core is a way for you to get a game for free before or without paying. It is NOT an act of protest.
Nor should it be a way for you to 'know what you're buying'. Most games have plenty of gameplay videos for you to view before spending your money, and a fair few games have demos for you to play before spending your money on the full version.

By pirating, you're taking a valued item from the developers without returning the value.

A little more detail...
Games, just like common objects, are valued by their creators or by their owners. If you walked into a shop and took an item without returning the value set by the creators or owners, you are stealing.
Ignoring the whole, 'It's illegal' argument, you should consider that stealing is to take away an object that has been paid for or worked into by it's creators or owners. This means that all of the work that they either put into creating the object or into earning the money to purchase the object themselves is gone without return. Imagine how you'd feel if that happened to you.

Now, though, pirating is a little different, the same rules can be applied.
Pirating is to steal a valued digital copy of an item. To steal it is to take away the time and effort that has been put into creating that item. Though money can't come into the equation here due to pirated copies being simple copies, you should consider that the creators of a game have put in their own time and effort that could have been used for other purposes.
They could have spent the time and effort from your copy of the game on baking a cake to sell. Unfortunately, now that you've already stolen their time and effort, they can't bake that cake, and can't get that money.
Imagine what would happen if EVERYONE pirated. The creators couldn't bake a cake due to all of their time and effort being wasted, and they would never get a return from their time and effort. They'll go hungry now. :(

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu May 10, 2012 5:41 pm

Jaz...c'mon man. We've made peace with this guy :(

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri May 11, 2012 6:06 am

Jaz! You're late, buddy. Everything that needed to be said has been said already. Shut up.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Fri May 11, 2012 7:03 am

I am not late. I always arrive precisely when I mean to. ;)

(Imagine that in Gandalf's voice. You'll get it)

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri May 11, 2012 8:21 am

Using those words in this context defile, dishonour and besmear the wizard's code.

You sir, are no wizard.
Even if you once were, you are now no longer.

Besides, you did it wrong.