Over Growth RPG?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
zoidberg_dr

Over Growth RPG?

Post by zoidberg_dr » Mon May 28, 2012 11:48 am

Will the final game be more of an open world RPG, or a linear fighter? I think it would be really coll if it was an open world RPG.

Thanks!

SteelRaven7

Re: Over Growth RPG?

Post by SteelRaven7 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:50 am

It won't be an open world RPG. The development team isn't large enough, and they are aiming for a solid singleplayer experience.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon May 28, 2012 12:03 pm

The current system doesn't support open world maps. Loading a new level takes a while, and the levels aren't huge, so traveling between areas wouldn't work.

Why do you think a fighting system like the one in Overgrowth would make a good RPG? The fighting system doesn't work well with XP or levels.

zoidberg_dr

Post by zoidberg_dr » Mon May 28, 2012 12:08 pm

Maybe not an RPG like Skyrim, but an open world game with missions like Infamous or Just Cause 2.
(Except with a cool fighting system and bunnies of course.) Those aren't RPGs, but they are open world with missions to do, and places such as cities and towns.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Oh right, realized I read "MMO RPG" :P.

Hibbe

Post by Hibbe » Mon May 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Maybe you mean open world.
RPG = Role Playing Game

In one way overgrowth is already open world, because one of the key factors of open world is that you can approach objectives in different ways.

But if we are gonna be black and white here (strictly, open world or linear)

I believe that what endoperez said above, is correct, chances are slim that all maps are going to be intergrated in to one.

You can see in art asset 18-19 that aubrey has a concept for a world map where you go between different parts of the world/island ( much like skyrim fast travel, only that you can't go there on foot )

last

Post by last » Mon May 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Actually as a OG modder and map maker myself I can tell that there may be some ways to create a open world like maps for OG.
This is kind of hard to do but it may work.
First thing to do is create 1 large custom terrain and then cut it into peaces so that there are some terrain overlay.
2 thing to do is make custom sky textures for each individual map so that there are some details seen in the sky texture from the terrain (and level objects itself) that is located next to that level you are currently in.
3 thing is to make loading zones (hotspots) so you end up in the right place when the level is changing.
4 thing is to somehow get this all things working correctly.

There may be some more steps but i believe that those are the most important ones.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon May 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Yeah, but loading between levels takes time. The level loading is quite slow for that kind of stuff.

tannim

Post by tannim » Mon May 28, 2012 5:15 pm

In theory level loading could be initiated inside another level. If you get near a side of the map you could start loading the content of the next map into ram. There'd still be a pause, but it wouldn't be as long.

If you've ever played Might and Magic series, the map by map scenario works pretty well. You go to the edge of a map, step onto the next and wait for it to load. On older computers it was a fair wait but I still enjoyed Might and Magic 5-8(1,2, and 9 SUCK).

You'd still be limited to one character for your "party" unless you script in the AI to follow you and randomly kick the crap out of enemies or, you know, die trying.