Jumping Animations

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Barstar

Jumping Animations

Post by Barstar » Tue May 29, 2012 1:25 am

So I was watching videos of the project and my interest is very piqued, but feel sick when I see the jumping animations (mid air).

They look horrible and I just can't get over it, were these to be fixed I would probably buy the game (alpha).

On another note altogether, are there more races planned? Which "races" are likely to appear in game?

Where would I find an official story to go with this game? Settings and storyline are very important to me (Irish blood I suppose) so I love to explore the story of worlds I come across.

Finally I saw the wolf model and thought "he looks too sapien", I understand others might disagree but the best physically anthropomorphic wolves I have ever seen were the Werewolves of Van Hesling with Hugh Jackman and they had very long toes/feet and long arms in relation to their chests

SteelRaven7

Re: Jumping Animations

Post by SteelRaven7 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:26 am

Jumping animations, and most likely most of the animations are probably not final, I'm sure they will be tweaked in the late stages of the alpha. I'm guessing you're having a problem with the arm stiffness in the animations?

Some official race and culture notes can be seen here:

from: http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/01/designing-cultures/

Not much has been said about the story, but the comic was created with the intent to explore the story telling style that would be used ingame. Check it out here: http://www.wolfire.com/comic

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue May 29, 2012 7:47 am

SteelRaven7 wrote:Jumping animations, and most likely most of the animations are probably not final, I'm sure they will be tweaked in the late stages of the alpha. I'm guessing you're having a problem with the arm stiffness in the animations?
I wouldn't go so far as to say that most animations will be replaced. If they have the resources and want to spend time on it, they'll likely replace several of them. They'll probably start from the ones that people complain about most, and the jumping animations have been mentioned a lot. However, since we don't know what kind of resources they'll want to spend on the animations, we can't say how many they want to replace.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:26 am

I'm not saying that they will be replaced, but since most of them are generated by combining multiple poses, physical simulations and inverse kinematics, tweaking them is no big deal whatsoever. But on the other hand, having them look right takes time and iterating.

Hibbe

Post by Hibbe » Wed May 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Barstar wrote: On another note altogether, are there more races planned? Which "races" are likely to appear in game?

Where would I find an official story to go with this game? Settings and storyline are very important to me (Irish blood I suppose) so I love to explore the story of worlds I come across.

Finally I saw the wolf model and thought "he looks too sapien", I understand others might disagree but the best physically anthropomorphic wolves I have ever seen were the Werewolves of Van Hesling with Hugh Jackman and they had very long toes/feet and long arms in relation to their chests
Some looking around and you will find out, dogs, cats, rats, rabbits and wolfs are the intended races.

You don't, because you don't have story as a priority when you create an entirely new engine.
The only story so far is the comics, which you can find here:
http://www.wolfire.com/comic

Well, I don't know what they had in mind, but the wolf has pretty much only been a way for the developer to make future model implementation easier (and also modded models)
You can never compare movie with game.
You can never compare a SFX department with one guy.
There are limits to the amount of detail (ever heard of polygons?) is limited in a game.
They are not in a movie.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:16 pm

I believe, on the wolves, he was talking about the general bone structure and anatomy. He means that he'd prefer wolves with longer arms, feet and hands. I believe the mixture of human and wolf in the character is farther from wolf than he prefers.
My friend, mods will solve your ill, someday. I can guarantee that, once characters are easier for fans to produce well, there will be a mod for werewolf wolves. Just have to be patient.

Zelron

Post by Zelron » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:48 am

Korban3 wrote: once characters are easier for fans to produce well, there will be a mod for [custom charactors]
Incoming Whaleman mod.

Barstar

Post by Barstar » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:39 pm

Korban3 wrote:I believe, on the wolves, he was talking about the general bone structure and anatomy. He means that he'd prefer wolves with longer arms, feet and hands. I believe the mixture of human and wolf in the character is farther from wolf than he prefers.
My friend, mods will solve your ill, someday. I can guarantee that, once characters are easier for fans to produce well, there will be a mod for werewolf wolves. Just have to be patient.
That is exactly what I meant, I'm incredibly impressed with the quality of the models and textures in this game. My issue with the wolf was one of style, not quality.

Also it was the stiffness of the arms that bothered me most about the jumping animation, it's good to know others are aware of the issue and that it will probably be fixed

EricTheCoolDude

Post by EricTheCoolDude » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Personally I really like the jumping animation, I think it's the best looking animation in the game and I hope it won't be changed.