Possible Female Characters?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Dastion

Possible Female Characters?

Post by Dastion » Wed May 30, 2012 7:55 pm

Does Wolfire Games have any plans to add Female Variants of the Rabbit and/or Wolf?

An idea is below.

Freshbite

Re: Possible Female Characters?

Post by Freshbite » Wed May 30, 2012 8:18 pm

Why do the wolf have tits?

Hibbe

Post by Hibbe » Wed May 30, 2012 9:34 pm

Freshbite wrote:Why do the wolf have tits?
Because she is humanoid?

Sure they will add them, in time... maybe?

Zelron

Post by Zelron » Wed May 30, 2012 10:01 pm

I demand 6 titted wolves!

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu May 31, 2012 12:23 am

Don't take the posters in this thread too seriously. Similar threads have popped up before, some requests were silly, some were not. There's a blog post from the developers themselves that talks about what they'd like to do:

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/01/female- ... vergrowth/

In short: No hypersexualization, Animal characters (that is, they aren't human and can't have all the human female features), No Voice Acting - that leaves clothing, different height, slightly different body proportions, movement patterns and such.

Noz

Post by Noz » Thu May 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Another female character thread?

Is it that big of a deal? This interest in female furry characters is just a little creepy.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 pm

Most of the discussions are about ways to implement female characters without them looking like this:

BEWBS
NOT FOR KIDS
[+] BEWBEHS
Notice a theme, there? Sex sells, amirite?
In fact, the idea of female anthro characters is only creepy if you put a sexual spin on it. Otherwise, it's more akin to this:
[+] Badass Females
Chick
Also a chick. These two are the Charr, from Guild Wars 2.
Her too.
Hell, even Xena tried to cover up a bit more than modern characters do.
One awesome design example is the female Charr in Guild Wars 2 (See above, non-boob spoiler tag). They were made feminine, compared to the male Charr, with a complete lack of bewbage. Good move, dev team.
And then they went and fucked it up with every other race's females by hyper-sexualizing them.
*Dissaproving head shake*

Zelron

Post by Zelron » Thu May 31, 2012 11:46 pm

The problem with females in games are that, statistically, the majorty of the market consists of adolescent males. Adolescent males are easily influenced by their raging hormones and will buy anything they can secretly fap too while mom's not watching.
This leads to female charactors with impressive "assests", usually wearing about a square meter of clothing, or charactors that are cooler than a penguin assassin, yet still with a tremendous rack and wearing shrink wrap.

I liked your example in Guild wars 2, because fem furries ought to look like animals, not humans, even if they are "humanoid". "Breasts" are really more of a human trait applied to females. I can think of almost no other animals that have them. (I said ALMOST so don't be running in with your "lawl, cow noob")
If you think about it large breasts are just evolutionarily unsound. I don't if you've ever seen a large breasted woman run before (you know, for the purpose of scientific research of course :oops: ), but they aren't getting around too comforatably. So it's not exactly an evolutionary trait any animal would pick up to have big 'o titties if they are expected to be able to move quickly (not to mention just general back issues).
Animals have their own distinctive sex differences. If you saw a female lion you could proably tell it apart from a male one, even without a mane.
To be honest, breasts are really the lazy man's way of defining sex. It's the "I can't think of how to make this look different enough, let's just put tits on it" stratagy.

This is of course just refering to the breasts issue, not saying there shouldn't be any female charactors.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:00 am

Yup, pretty much that entire post.
I like that David and friends are going to explore female characters through culture development instead, though. It'd the un-lazy man's method and awesome.

I'm stilled pissed that the female design for the other races isn't as well-done as the Charr though. I mean seriously. They put so much work into the Charr and then just sort of spat the other ones out all generic like.
[/shortrant]