Which weekly alpha video is the best in your opinion?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Arigatōr

Which weekly alpha video is the best in your opinion?

Post by Arigatōr » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:27 pm

Maybe this situation sounds familiar to some of you. You think about introducing your gamer friends to 'Overgrowth', but you have only one attempt to get them really interested in it (for example because they already roll their eyes every time you want to show them 'yet another indie game' and if the first video doesn't impress them, they are already unwilling to watch more about it).

My favorite alpha video so far is number 144, which would also be my first choice to show to other people:

- it shows a lot of Overgrowth's trademark hand-to-hand combat and highlights smoothly animated transitions from one move to the next
- David explains some rules of the fighting mechanics (parrying)
- introduction of a new feature (dodging)
- it shows sword fighting

So which one is your favorite weekly alpha video?

EDIT: edited the title and shortened the post.

Korban3

Re: Which weekly alpha video is the best in your opinion?

Post by Korban3 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:36 am

I like Alpha 114 because it shows the combat, David's intelligence and the kind of innovation and advancements that are common in his work.
Plus, it's cool as hell seeing those ragdolls.

Themap

Post by Themap » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:30 pm

I don't know what alpha was it that he first showed the blood effects in
That said, i'll just say the closest alpha to that one, 145
It's just so EFFING COOL to see the drips from the blood falling down
I keep asking myself how hasn't anyone else come up with this
I mean, even if Overgrowth wasn't half as good as it is(and will be) i would probably just buy it(btw,I'm finally buying it tomorrow) for the blood
Yup, me likes blood...

Le Petit Docteur

Post by Le Petit Docteur » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:59 am

my favorite alpha video is the blood effects one, alpha 128. does this make me a twisted person? i really think this is almost poetic.

Royal_Starlord

Post by Royal_Starlord » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:12 am

If anything, I would prefer the alpha version where it would put the game into its beta stages.

Obviously, the weekly alpha I'm talking about hasn't even been made yet. But ho, it is a dreamers dream to imagine as to what treasures lie and wait to that of the coming tomorrow.

I mean, who knows? Perhaps a multiplayer setting where you can choose from different races and fight it out in a class based war, like TeamFortress 2? Maybe be able to collect a special herb that can restore cuts and help regenerate your invisible health bar, and or a magic stone that revives oneself from unconsciousness/death?

Bows and arrows? Equip-able armor? Backpacks that can store a big weapon on your back, like war hammers, broadswords, and the bows I suggested? Different types of AI behavior, like farmers tilling land or traders giving bargains of priced goods, or telling their friends about your deeds or bringing them to end you? There is a whole slew of things that has untapped potential within this game! And with a game like this becoming a full game, there would be no doubt that there will be a few mods that will put some stuff in, like say, technological warfare like pistols or laser rifles.

I have some high hopes for this game. It might even be able to beat Minecraft. And I should know! I have Minecraft! And Overgrowth might, and 'might' being the keyword here, have the game of the year award. Perhaps better, but that's my opinion.

But if you all want to nit pick about me not choosing all the alphas that was released and whine about me going against the rules THEN I CHOOSE THE ONE WITH KNIVES STICKING INTO BODIES. But my favorite, and my opinionated best, will still be the last alpha release, because it'll be the closest one to the beta release. :D

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm sorry to say, but your expectations for Overgrowth aren't realistic. They are making a single-player action game (+ co-op, I think), you're thinking of a multiplayer action MMO deathmatch RPG with an open world.

For example:

Overgrowth will be fairly linear like Lugaru. We don't want the player to end up roaming the countryside without a clear purpose. The open-ended aspects of Overgrowth will occur during individual levels where the player will be presented with a set of objectives and have a lot of freedom to determine how best to complete those objectives (stealth vs. attacking from the front, brutality vs. non-lethal takedowns, etc.)

Royal_Starlord

Post by Royal_Starlord » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:35 pm

Don't worry, it's all in good speculation. :3

Dreamers gonna dream, right?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:40 pm

I'm not sure this counts as an alpha video. It was released shortly after the first alpha build was uploaded though. That's how old it is!

It's the Procedural Animation Redux!
The setup of this video and the delicious view of progress (and also how far wolfire's come since then) are just an eyegasm.
The intro clips are very nice too.
The music is superb as always.
Everything is fantastic.

It shows how quickly the game's become a lot more amazing, how fast its brilliance is still, even now, rising upwards and onwards, and how incredibly skilled they are around here with solving problems and creating new things.

I mean wow.
Look at it.
LOOK AT IT.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:33 pm

I haven't seen that exact video before. I had seen the shorter version. I've always wanted to use the process he shows there as a model for my own projects. It's just so fluid and solid when he jumps and lands and such.