Wolfire Development Blog - part 2!

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:54 pm

rudel_ic wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:*Wakes up.*

Oh cool. Multiplayer. I live in Ireland. Funk that.
Yo, I'm in europe as well. So ... we can battle each other! I'll punish you mwahahacoughcoughargh.
I hope we will be able to run our own servers so we don't have to push the traffic all over the big ocean for battling over here.
Wait, there's also Crill3 and I. We can do 2 on 2 in our own backwater European countries! :o

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:56 pm

I'll freaking torture you guys in a 3 on 1.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:19 pm

Somehow, I find that hard to believe if it includes Silb. :P

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:25 pm

Me and Jeff are going to go 1 on 1, huh, Jeff :twisted: ? HUH? (That did not sound right if you're the right type of person :P ...)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:18 pm

Notice he said "right type of person" and not "wrong type of person". He's making an offer, Jeff.

Also I'm going to feel like such an underdog if we go in a 2-on-2. I'll be a liability. :lol:

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:08 pm

Worst comes to worst, you can always do like me and do the obnoxiously effective "wall-jump until you can rabbit kick them into a wall" strategy.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:44 am

Shame flips won't confuse in multiplayer, it would make killing silb so much easier.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:44 pm

No it would make silb killing YOU easier. Remember, He can still do the moves... I think Nice aim kills will be common in Lugaru 2 Multipayer :lol:

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:00 pm

Of course. You're bud's fighting someone and you feel like being a traitor at the moment and just spring up behind him and rabbit kick him into his opponent. Let's hear it for team-work!

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:15 pm

tallyl.iii wrote:Of course. You're bud's fighting someone and you feel like being a traitor at the moment and just spring up behind him and rabbit kick him into his opponent. Let's hear it for team-work!
When I say charge, I mean CHARGE!!!
Awarded when you use your team mate as a weapon to kill your opponents.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:18 am

Hey, what's the difference between Lugaru 2's physics based animation and invert kinematics animation?

A long time ago on Gametrailers I saw this sweet techdemo trailer for this game called Heavy Duty. The gameplay itself didn't look that amazing, but anyways, among other things the game's invert kinematics animations looked really awesome. The robot had four legs but it manuevered around the land like it was nothing. There was a hill, and the robot did a perfect verticle accension but what was cooler is that the robot went up to a boulder and the legs automatically came up and rolled the thing forward as it pushed with it's backlegs. I thought it was really sick.

Most people complained about the music, I thought it was good. It made me smile stupidly when she sang... uhh, nevermind that last part.
Last edited by Zantalos on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:30 am

As I understand it, the program tells the robot where to move his foot, and inverse kinematics compute how the robot should bend its knees, etc accordingly.

As I understand it (again- not sure), L2 can do this--I think there was a blog post with Turner sitting at a table grabbing objects with inverse cinematics. But it also does something else: where a foot should go is not entirely predetermined - it depends on physics (for instance, compensating gravity center to maintain balance while running). Everything is based on physics, so perhaps things like speed, style, strength, terrain inclination, opponent weight, might influence the animation - and I guess the moves it remains realistic in all circumstances (like if it's interrupted or hindered by some object). (I kinda extrapolate from what David and Jeff said, I don't really know).

How it all works together exactly, and how ragdoll, inverse kinematics, stored animations mix together, I don't think David has said.

But it's much more than just inverse kinematics.

It's sicker. :)

Ink

Post by Ink » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:24 am

I'm picturing playing online, and then some stupid douche has added the damn unreal tournament sounds. So it's all.. "(silb is) DOMINATING!" and so on. I hope to GOD that doesn't happen. It was really annoying in Counter-strike. Because you had to download the same sounds over and over again. And they were just.. getting on your nerves. :roll:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:05 pm

Time-consuming college courses suck ass.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:44 pm

Well, what else Would they Suck Ren?