Does Overgrowth work on windows 8?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Turner_rabbot

Does Overgrowth work on windows 8?

Post by Turner_rabbot » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:20 am

I recently got a new computer, and I have already pre-orded Overgrowth but will it run on windows 8 with these specs?: Processor: AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M APU with Radeon HD 7520G Discrete-Class Graphics (2.7 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache)
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 (2 x 4 GB)
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7520G Discrete-Class Hard drive 1 TB

tannim

Re: Does Overgrowth work on windows 8?

Post by tannim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:38 am

Despite my great dislike of windows 8 for it's surprisingly bad tablet user interface...

It should play alright, though you may want to see if you can overclock your CPU if it lags too much. I wouldn't expect it to play at full HD resolution at a good framerate.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:40 am

It'll certainly run no worse on Windows 8 than it would on Windows 7.

(Source: I've used both and from reading articles, I know that the differences in Windows 7 and Windows 8 shouldn't affect games much at all since the main changes in Windows 8 are interface-related and most performance boosts are compression/file-system based, not runtime-based)

Turner_rabbot

Post by Turner_rabbot » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:10 pm

tannim wrote:Despite my great dislike of windows 8 for it's surprisingly bad tablet user interface...
That's why I use the Classic layout. :wink:

Turner_rabbot

Post by Turner_rabbot » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:11 pm

Jaz wrote:It'll certainly run no worse on Windows 8 than it would on Windows 7.

(Source: I've used both and from reading articles, I know that the differences in Windows 7 and Windows 8 shouldn't affect games much at all since the main changes in Windows 8 are interface-related and most performance boosts are compression/file-system based, not runtime-based)
Thanks.

tannim

Post by tannim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Actually, I just remembered something about windows 8 and overclocking, they don't mix well

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/16 ... cking-site

Windows 8 has a real time clock issue when the CPU speed is changed after boot up.

Turner_rabbot

Post by Turner_rabbot » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:39 am

tannim wrote:Actually, I just remembered something about windows 8 and overclocking, they don't mix well

Windows 8 has a real time clock issue when the CPU speed is changed after boot up.
To be honest, I don't really turn it off or play anything major after I do turn it back on.

Jaz

Post by Jaz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:09 am

tannim wrote:Actually, I just remembered something about windows 8 and overclocking, they don't mix well

Who in the hells overclocks with software anyway? It's a bad idea, full stop. It can cause loads of issues and it means skipping POST warnings. It's really an absolutely horrible idea imo.
But then, I'm also against ever updating the BIOS in-OS or changing any BIOS settings at all in-OS because it sounds like a really stupid thing to do. Sure, the failure rate isn't that high but it's a lot more dangerous than BIOS over/underclocking, I believe so I really didn't think many people bothered with software overclocking.

tannim

Post by tannim » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:47 pm

Most laptop CPUs automatically over and under clock themselves these days to save power or boost performance.

Jaz

Post by Jaz » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:18 am

tannim wrote:Most laptop CPUs automatically over and under clock themselves these days to save power or boost performance.
Yes, but they only clock to the original limit. Underclocking is almost always completely safe and clocking back to the original highest speed is absolutely fine.

Overclocking over the original speed however is a stupid thing to do with software. No in-OS software can as accurately measure voltage as the BIOS and a lot of important warnings just aren't registered after POST. So you should always only overclock through the BIOS, imo.

(Oh and for the record, regardless, I have overclocked my CPU through software before to test it and I've set my CPU to underclock significantly when idle and I have not experienced any issues, though clock issues may be possible, sure, but still, if you're frequently benchmarking, you should be using the BIOS for such frequent overclocking anyway)

tannim

Post by tannim » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:56 am

My laptop's base cpu speed is 1.5, it can/will automatically overclock itself to 2.4ghz for single thread programs(and a few other things) when it is cool enough in general. I've never had a problem with heat so far. I'm using an AMD cpu, so it doesn't produce as much heat as an intel and has decent video instead of the awful intel graphics.