Overgrowth: Varied Counter Attacks

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
akdude97

Overgrowth: Varied Counter Attacks

Post by akdude97 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Hey, before I say anything I just want you all to know that this is the first time I've ever even used a forum, so if I'm doing something wrong here tell me.

Ok, on to the topic of the... topic. I think that the combat of Overgrowth would be much, much better if there were different counter-attacks for different attacks. For example, in Lugaru, there were different reversals for the spin kick, the double-punch, and the sweep kick. In Overgrowth, on the other hand, there is only one reversal that is used for every attack; the grab/flip.

In my opinion, adding a variety of counter attacks based on the attack would make the combat a lot more interesting.

IF YOU WANT TO RESPOND RESPOND IN THE OG SPF, I MOVED IT THERE BECAUSE I WAS TOLD TO
Last edited by akdude97 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmorphousGamer

Re: Overgrowth: Varied Counter Attacks

Post by AmorphousGamer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:42 pm

First off. this should be in the OG SPF.
Second, I really don't think the over-the-shoulder-throw was ever meant to be the only sort of counter in the entire game.

akdude97

Post by akdude97 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Alright, I'll move it over. Thanks.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:18 pm

Always wanted this idea in the game:D
Last edited by halzoid on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sign1000

Post by sign1000 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:42 pm

what if each animal has a different fighting style, not just for weapons, but also for hand-hand combat? (for instance, the rats/mice would have karate, the rabbit bun-jitsu, the wolves can have kung-fu, etc) This means that each animal would have at the least, a slight variation of what we currently have. Some styles would be REALLY FAST but questionably weak, while maybe the wolves' style might be all force, but its lack of speed might be hard to compensate for

Each counter-attack can also vary based on fighting style. For instance, the cats could maybe have maybe a counter where they simply throw them up in the air, while the wolves can have a counter that throws/forces a person on the ground. (i.e., grabs them, but pushes them, not a judo flip that we currently have, not just for wolves, but for the cat when it throws/forces a person to the air.)

What do you guys think? Too complicated, or will it work (another question is how will the fighting styles of say, rabbit and wolf affect/interact with each other?)

sign1000

Post by sign1000 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:44 pm

sorry if my idea is quite a bit off-topic, but I think it JUST might be implemented into the game, and so I want people to see it, and come up with NEW ideas branching from what I came up with. (taking no credit, someone else could have this idea too, before me.)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:37 am

It would be cool, I'm pretty sure I've also suggested something like that somewhere. It's a lot of work, though, and it might require more work than the devs are willing to put into this game. Animation is slow. A couple of hours for 1 second of finished animation is a good pace.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:44 pm

I would like to say that when making animations, the team could just hook up an Xbox Kinect to the PC and record the animation from themselves. This way if would save loads of time making animations and only leave minor touch ups required to edit for the shape of the character

akazi

Post by akazi » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:58 pm

halzoid wrote:I would like to say that when making animations, the team could just hook up an Xbox Kinect to the PC and record the animation from themselves. This way if would save loads of time making animations and only leave minor touch ups required to edit for the shape of the character
Here is a blog post about motion capture here: http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/07/Initial ... ture-tests
I beleive they use the Xbox kinect for it. I can't find the video of him demonstrating it though, but here is an old fun video of BVH animation in the game:

last

Post by last » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:10 pm

David have looked into motion capture databases before Here is a nice example blog post. Keep in mind that this was made before they started animating with Blender (this happened around alpha 90 to 100) that's why they have rigging tool that works.
BVH animations can be imported into blender and from there you can export them out for OG, but it still needs some work that i am not aware of-

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Motion-captured animations always have to be retouched by hand. They're a good start, they speed up the process in the long run, but there are all sort of limitations into what you can do with them. It's a nice tool, but not an instant fix.