SOS Ideas

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
loki J Lo
What's "what's a computer"?

SOS Ideas

Post by loki J Lo » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:04 am

Post messages about ideas for SOS here.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:40 pm

There is no info available about the game, what ideas are expected?

What's the plot, the gameplay?

Or there is only engine? Interesting to know

Touque Guy

Post by Touque Guy » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:06 pm

Uh...a cool factory level or getaway (chase) level?

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:31 pm

Some people are just sick of the regular guns-blazin' kill'emall FPS, namely me, unless it has multiplay in it. As for the main storyline, if any, there should be a helluvalotta covert ops crap in there, 'cuz there's nothing that makes hands sweat more than a high-tension situation.

Also, if you're able to just grab parts from the enemies, why not be able to store some on you in one of the weapon slots? Ex: PK-188 just killed PK-190, and takes both his arms off. The blaster arm he immediately attaches to himself, powering up the new appendage to test if the connections are working (afterall, he just killed PK-190. Can't really tell if the arm is functional or not. Maybe add this in, too? Ya gotta test the stolen part to see if it works or not.). Satisfied, PK-188 takes the other arm and straps it to his back, just in case he needs it should he lose his original secondary arm.
This use of spare parts could replace a health system. Instead of "You're at 100% health" or "You're at a critical state" or one of those boring green/yellow/red health bars, there could be a status screen that shows your bot's layout and the status of all the appendages- armor, energy, etc. This would add a bit of realism and a better look than most boring crap out there.

-Fournine

loki J Lo

Post by loki J Lo » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:32 am

If it was multiplayer, it would be the only game I ever play, unless you made a sequil :D

loki J Lo

Post by loki J Lo » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:33 am

If it was multiplayer, it would be the only game I ever play, unless you made a sequel :D

Nemo
post whore

Post by Nemo » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:13 am

how do u take body parts? i cant figure out how. of course, i just got it yesterday.

excalibur
are we there yet?
Location: Somewhere on earth... If you look long enough you will find me. Might take a while

Post by excalibur » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:39 pm

i don't think you can get body parts yet. Though the controls are set.

Nemo
post whore

Post by Nemo » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:02 pm

:) o :)

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:39 am

since it is in really early development, and may or may not ever be done, I might as well post the beta here so everyone knows what you're talking about.

http://wolfire.com/SOS.sit

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:42 am

goody =D

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:08 pm

Woah... mega cool.

It rocks how you can shoot their legs off and they they drag themselves around =D

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:10 pm

Ok here are a few things SOS needs or needs to have fixed.

1. Object tilt like in Lugaru

2. No aiming help at difficulty 2, its realy annoying when your sights say you should have missed but you hit the guy.

3. Sometimes with makes you make when you load them all the objects will be raised up above the ground, or buried into it, not where you originaly placed them.

4. Give objects like spikes a bottom.

Flickta

SoS Ideas (sort of)

Post by Flickta » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:12 am

Since I know nothing about the game (but enjoy the beta tremendously)
I decided to put my vision of it here. Maybe reading this text (if anyone will ever bother to read it) will force mr. David Rosen to unveil some ideas he has about SoS?
forgive my grammar and spelling, o wise forum inhabitants, English isn't my natvie language... :wink:

Humanity has destroyed itself. The major interstellar conflict brought an end to the Republic, and all advanced worlds were destroyed during the war. People living here are perhaps the only successors of the humanity.
But ironically, they are less human then their machines. Trapped inside exoskeletons, they can't survive beyond the Sphere - the greatest fortress ever built. The Sphere receives energy from the core of the planet and feeds myriad of machines which serve their weak masters. The Sphere is also the last "habitable" place on the surface of the planet. The rest is called "the Void". One of the last battles of the war took place in the orbit of Alia, which suffered from heavy bombardment. Electro-magnetic and nuclear bombs eradicated lots of living creatures... and made the planet unsuitable for the fragile human exoskeletons or machinery.
The Sphere survived the assault, and enemy fleets were destroyed... But at a high price.
All factories situated outside the Sphere, all science posts were left dead and silent. Colonists could only support their city, but were unable to regain former power. Any attempts to shield human exoskeletons to enable them to work in the Void were unsuccesful. Colonists designed special machines - autonomous robots with a sophisticated artificial intelligence as a replacement for human workers. Fragile brains of the machines were too often damaged by heavy radiation, to which living creatures - animals and plants - eventually got used to (via mutations), and majority of robots could only be used deep under the surface, in the mines.
It took 20 years to design new system of shielding - a phase shield. It protected the brain of the machine allowing to make it even more complex. But phase shielding required enormous amount of rare elements.
Only few machines are produced. They serve as guardians of the Sphere, and control the Void. Lots of the machines of the first series are still somewhere on the surface. They are dying, of course, but long before their brain ceases to function, they go rampant. They are attacking any machine or living creature in the vicinity. In the state of rampancy they can still plan their actions, and so they do. Many of the mines and factories in the Void were destroyed in the last years.

You are one of the guardians of the Sphere, and has just received a mission to search the wrecks of the old spaceship in search of technology and information useful for colony scientists. During the final battle three large ships managed to crash-land on the planet. One of them exploded several days later, leaving a crater of about 3 kilometers in size. One sunk in the ocean, poisoning the water thus adding to the ecological disaster. The third ship is still lying in the mountains near one of the destroyed settlements. Radiation levels now, 70 years after the war, became "normal" if this can be said about irradiated, poisoned planet. At least, heavy shielding of the last generation of robots allows them to work here. So, you are entering the spaceship in search of information, knowledge... abiding orders for the last time.

Flow:

No maps/missions, only a set of way-points leading to sectors where the plot develops. (well, one large level. but better than multiple missions.)

1 Spaceship (Docking Bay, Corridors, locked doors, bridge - alert - blackout... ... ... ... wake, broadcasted message: "All autonomous robots are hereby ordered to destroy hostile unit AR 3712" - fight with an assault team. Their transport is to the west of here, in the ruins of an old settlement.)
2 Settlement ruins (guard of AR's is fighting rampant units (armed with melee weapons and primitive yet effective shotguns) - helping AR's then arrested and put in Flyer. Flyer takes off and then guards receive order to destroy hostile AR in place. Fighting - crash in the forest just several kilometers away from the settlement.)
3 Forest (Night. AR 3712 thinks about going to the Sphere to get explanation. Some mutant animals are attacking him in the forest. The Sphere is straight ahead - but soon mountains get in the way)
4 Mountains (Morning. Climbing mountains, fighting animals, and receiving a distress signal from the mine - close in the vicinity. A large group of rampant units is attacking the mine)
5 Mines (Day. heavy fighting goes on in the mine. AR 3712 helps the miners to destroy the attackers, but then several assault teams arrive. 3712 is forced to escape. Into the canyon - going to the Sphere)
6 Canyon (Evening. Chase. Heavily armed flyers, assault teams. Large canyon. Finally, AR 3712 manages to escape from the chasing troops)
7 Abandoned science station (Night. Beacons on the towers of an abandoned science station attract attention of the 3712. Something strange... Camp of rampant units. Fighting... Leader - a prototype machine, first of an AR series. Conversation. "I know what you need... I'll help you to get to the Sphere. And then..."
8 Dead plains (closer to the Sphere) (Morning. No living creatures. Intense radiation. Primitive machines, several rampant units - "You are their leader, after all! - No, these are out of control. Their conscience is no more." )
9 Destroyed fortifications (closer...) (Day. Traces of a great battle everywhere. ...Blackout... ... wake.)
10 The walls of the Sphere (Epic proportions...) (Evening. Sophisticated fortifications, complex machines, minefields. "There is no way in" Communications tunnel)
11 Communications (under the Sphere) (Night. Labyrinths. Only one way out. primitive machines.)
12 Inside the Sphere (City outskirts. people, Black Shades-like skyscrapers) (Morning. People in exoskeletons (unarmed) no guards yet. Monorail... Council)
13 The Council (Day. Fighting with some armored troopers... More fighting... the rest of the plot is unveiled...)
14 Exodus (Evening. Setting Sun... Time good enough to... Well, no one was expecting a happy ending, right?)

Enemies:

Animals (mutants)
1 Small, wolf-like.
2 Large, White-bearish
3 Flying.
Robots (primitive)
4 Small robots in communication tunnels
5 Middle-sized hovering search and destroy robots close to the Sphere.
AR's
6 Rampant units with melee weapons (like pipes etc)
7 Rampant units with (primitive) shotguns
8 Standard AR Guards
9 AR Assault teams (automatic weapons)
10 AR Heavy troopers (Heavy weapons, tough armor)
Vehicles
11 Flyer (machine guns)
12 Bomber (rockets/bombs)

Weapons

1 Standard Semi-auto pistol
2 Two Semi auto pistols (let the soul of Marathon in!)
3 Automatic rifle
4 Shotgun
5 Sniper rifle (The rarest and most sought after weapon in the game)
6 Rocket launcher

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:31 am

Wow... you have a lot of time :shock: (this from the boy who spends his time documenting Lugaru scores)

Looks realy good, but SOS is designed to have seperate levels, though you may be comforted to know that infact all levels in SOS use the same map(heightmap.png), which is very expansive.

Unfortunately SOS has not been worked on for quite some time, though maybe when david finishes off Lugaru...