A HUGE Fan

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
DudetheCreator

A HUGE Fan

Post by DudetheCreator » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:10 pm

Hey i'm gareth cross and I am a HUGE fan of Wolfire Software, you guys are the best! I mean it! I Love Lightnings shadow and Black Shades! (For Mac...) I just downloaded the other two... Anyway, I was wondering about games like Black Shades or GL fighters, what game engine do they use, what language are they programmed in AND what did you use to model the characters and guns in Black Shades? Oh yeah, do you guys develop on windows or mac?

DudetheCreator

K, nm

Post by DudetheCreator » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:50 pm

K nevermind stupid question, MAC of course! I want to make games to. I am learning UNIX and I just got a guide to C++. What language do you do your games in? What modeller do you use to make your models? I have the Dimension 3 game engine, but it looks a little to complicated to start with. Where can I download the source code for your games? What will be the requirements of Lugaru? I ask to many questions! Where is a good place to start when making games? Are there game design teams who are willing to teach super n00bs? What other free game engines are there?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:46 am

Black Shades and GL Fighters do not share a game engine, but they DO both use OpenGL for their graphics, they are coded in C/C++.

Don't learn unix, its not realy related to what you want to do except for debugging.

I believe most of davids games are made in C++.

He uses Cinema 4d for the models.

Dimension 3 is actualy fairly simple compared to true coding like C, you might want to try something like http://www.tntbasic.com, and create a simple 2d game to learn the concepts of coding.

The only one of davids games with source code available is Black Shades, you can email him and ask for it.

Lugaru would like at least a 500mhz G3, and at bare minimum a 8mb gfx card. For a better Lugaru experience, 800mhz+G4 with a 64mb+gfx card.

A good place to start making games, if by that you men websites try [url]http:://www.udevgames.com[/url], http://www.idevgames.com.
Or, try this nifty place called http://www.google.com

I doubt you will find somone willing to tutor you, but once you learn a language people will be willing to help you solve problems while making your game.
The two main free game engines for mac are NeoEngine and Crystal Spac, but I suggest you try TNT Basic before you even consider those. Get a nice simple 2d pong running, then make Missile Command, then make 20 other games in TNT before you start into C.

DudetheCreator

THX

Post by DudetheCreator » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:13 am

K, thanks! I have Cinema4d and a demo of TNT basic. You mentioned two other game engines, where can I see them or download them?

I will have more questions, I forget everything...

Oh, yeah, when will that 3d robot game come out? Forgot the name!

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:03 pm

http://crystal.sourceforge.net
http://www.neoengine.org

Don't try those yet however, you will just get overwhelmed and give up.
Play around with TNT Basic to learn some programming concepts, then C, then when you are Very comfortable with C you can try those 3d engines I listed above.

Most importantly, don't get in over your head, take little steps.
If you rate the difficulty of programming a piece of software on a scale of 1 to 10, your first program should be a 1; a random quote generator for instance.
Never try making something that is more than 2 above the last program you did.

As for the 3d robot game I presume you mea SOS? That will be out after Lugaru(if ever :( ) but its pretty far along in fact, so maybe david will finish it if he gets enough incentive.

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:17 pm

I did try out dim3 since they release a beta of it. It seems like a great idea to me. I also like the lighting and texters. Can't wait when more people mess around with it and mod the engine.

DudetheCreator

That's a pity....

Post by DudetheCreator » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:24 am

I tried out TNT again, the coding seems easy and useful, the online manual isn't too good, but the worst feature, TNT and Heiroglyph (Part of TNT) randomly crash. I'm not the type who wants all his data lost due to an application. And have you seen this:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/d ... eator.html

It's sort of hard to uses due to the fact that there are NO tutorials!

Is javascript a good language to program games in??[/url]

DudetheCreator

dev tools

Post by DudetheCreator » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:27 am

Do u use the Dev tools when your building you games? It just doesn't seem like a game developing enviroment.

DudetheCreator

C++

Post by DudetheCreator » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:29 am

Is it worth learning c++?

How about Python?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:45 am

The apple dev tools is a much better way to make games than Silver Creator *blanch gag*. It requires more effort (you need to learn Obj-C and OpenGL, among other things) but the reward is far greater.
As for Python... sure, you could use PyGame. But don't expect to make Lugaru with it.
And javascript.. no, avoid it like the plague.

DudetheCreator

K

Post by DudetheCreator » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:30 pm

A Dude Equation:

Me+OpenGL= WTF? = Using text to make 3d? HOLY ****!

Sorry, I have looked at gl code at quite frankly, it makes no sense, not the code itself, but the idea of making 3d out of ours of typing...

What's pygame? Where can I get it?

DudetheCreator

Advert

Post by DudetheCreator » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:35 pm

And now a Dude Software add!

Want free compression and uncompression software? Goto Dude Soft! Here is a list of our current products: (all free!)

- Atomize, turn files into .gz archives easily with Drag and Drop Technology

- Mini-Atomize, turn folders filled with files into .tgz archives easily! Drag and Drop Included!

- Zarchive, compress uniz archives (.z) easily! Also with Drag and Drop!

- Genesis, un compress these formats:
-.zip
-.gz
-.tgz
-.tar
-.z

-Speech, drag and drop text files (.rtf or .txt) onto this app to speak them into .aiff files!

Sorry, I couldn't resist putting an add here...

Glabbit

Re: A HUGE Fan

Post by Glabbit » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:00 am

DudetheCreator wrote:Hey i'm gareth cross and I am a HUGE fan of Wolfire Software, you guys are the best! I mean it! I Love Lightnings shadow and Black Shades! (For Mac...)
i totally agree, but i never really got the grip in black shades though!

DudetheCreator

Post by DudetheCreator » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:19 am

Please, don't post in outdated posts!!!