Porting Windows Software (games) to Mac

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Flickta

Porting Windows Software (games) to Mac

Post by Flickta » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:27 am

Hi, everybody!

The situation: My friend is working at a game-dev. company. A Russian one. He had no knowledge of Mac-programming or even using the Macintosh. But I got him interested. Now that is where I need help. I'm not a programmer. I don't know the ins and outs of Mac OS from developer's point of view. I do not know anything about programming. But I have to answer his questions, or at least try to find some answers. Jeff and David possibly have them... Or know where to get 'em. So, how about assistance? Names, website addresses, etc. You could help bring more games to Mac.

Thanks, Nik.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:42 pm

Well, if he is willing to invest money I would suggest he get some O'Reilly books on the subject.
If his games are written in OpenGL then porting becomes much easier, but if they are DirectX then they will have to be converted(a horrendous job).

Flickta

Post by Flickta » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:39 pm

zip wrote:Well, if he is willing to invest money I would suggest he get some O'Reilly books on the subject.
If his games are written in OpenGL then porting becomes much easier, but if they are DirectX then they will have to be converted(a horrendous job).
Books are not an option. After all, he is currently researching the feasibility of porting in his spare time. It's a hobby, and the only Mac-user he knows is me. I'd prefer some web-based materials.

He is a huge fan of OpenGL, and writes software in C++ in -don't know exact name- Microsoft visual studio or something. Therefore the problem is (if to work on a Mac on games) to import/move project to xCode.

Well?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:29 am

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:04 am

You could pick up a book called Pange Softwares Ultimate Game Programming Guide for Mac OS X. I am not sure if that's availble at most book stores but you could buy it off of there web site. :wink:

But I guess you don't want to read a book about os x programming so I guess you should find some good resources on the web about c++ and open GL.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 am

Personally I would try and avoid anything that has anything to do with Pangea, for various reasons that I will not go into right now. In any case, I would post on the IDG forum asking for help porting the game to mac, and someone will probably volunteer to do it.

Flickta

Post by Flickta » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:55 pm

David wrote:Personally I would try and avoid anything that has anything to do with Pangea, for various reasons that I will not go into right now. In any case, I would post on the IDG forum asking for help porting the game to mac, and someone will probably volunteer to do it.
Heh. I'm getting extremely interested in your relationships with Pangea, David! But if you do not want to talk about this in public, don't. But still... Why could it...

Back to topic: Thank you and... May be there is a way to talk to the person who is porting Lugaru to Windows?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:08 pm

Because Pangea makes sucky games, and IMG always gives them great reviews :x .

Lugaruman100: he already knows how to code, what he wants to know is how to code for OS X.

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:30 pm

zip wrote:Because Pangea makes sucky games, and IMG always gives them great reviews :x .
Pangea software isn't that bad when it came to ''Nanosaur 1'' and mighty mike(Power Pete). But then again ''Nanosaur 2 Hatchling'' wasn't that great, since the controls and physics were very screwed up.

Flickta

Post by Flickta » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:06 pm

I am actually not at all interested in Pangea games - to be honest, I think they are good for certain audience and not bad at all. Price/quality ratio is other thing.

But guys, please, any more info on my topic?