Anything new? whats going on?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Razor7

Post by Razor7 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:24 pm

it wouldnt be totally pointless to port it, but you still need textures (i got a glimpse from frozen thunder, he added color to that desolate world) and you still need levels with gameplay similiar to Lugaru. (by the way, David, can you post more screen shots of Lugaru? i am drooling all over my keyboard... but there is nothing to look at any more). "the ability to use another robots limbs" sounds interesting, but has it been added to any new builds?

#HM#Razor7

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:22 am

Yeah I would be posting screenshots of the colored version but unfortunately for us all both Lugaru and SOS will Not allow snapzproX to take control of the screen even for a couple seconds. IF i use mac OS X's built in screenshot feature I just get a scrambled screenshot and with snapzpro I just get a frozen Lugaru/SOS window. It really does suck not being able to take screens.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:40 pm

SOS has textures, the reason most of it is in monochrome is the setting, a desolate post-apocolyptic type world.
As for Lugaru type gameplay... they are 2 different games, although they use an almost identical engine.
Did you [razor7] finaly aquire a Lugaru beta then?

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:07 pm

Razor was talking about SOS. I modified the original texture files for SOS and made it have color and I sent Razor the modified textures. I also gave them to David and he says they look good. But I still have to redo the skybox since it looks like crap (I did a rushjob on the skybox so I could go to sleep, it was already 2:30 AM) So later on I will get that all set up as well. I would be posting screenshots but unfortunately there isn't a way to take a snapshot in SOS. At least not any that I know of.

I wish that Lugaru and SOS could run in a window. I can't imagine why that feature wouldn't be implemented :?
Last edited by FrozenThunder on Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:17 pm

The colored textures are cool, but keep in mind that I had them black and white for a reason :p

Also I agree about the windowed mode, but as far as I know it's not possible to do that and keep OS 9 compatibility.

Razor7

Post by Razor7 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:51 pm

zip wrote: Did you [razor7] finaly aquire a Lugaru beta then?
Nope, never did get Lugaru.EVEN THOUGH I WORK @ APPLE COMPUTERS IN CUPERTINO CALIFORNIA, AND I CAN TEST IT ON ANY COMPUTER FROM AN EMAC TO XSERVE. i'm using a G5 with the 30" cinema too. BUT I GUESS THAT DAVID NEVER CHECKS HIS PMS!

I hear its good, and i have been checking around, so i know most of the basic gameplay (thank you betatesters that post!). It sounds good, and i know the engine is the same.

Desolate wasteland is the setting for SOS i know, but the textures just about kill your eyes. To many greys...

What i mean by "levels with gameplay similiar to Lugaru" is that in the screen shots you can see walls and stuff to jump off of. Given there are some walls in SOS, but not many. I also dont see any different settings, like snow and sand levels.

Just a thought. David, are you going to update/add screenshots? Movies as well?

#HM#Razor7

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:57 pm

Oh yeah and I know you had them black and white for a reason I just added it for the sake of our eyes but also thats why I kept the original textures you made David :)

Hmm maybe I could remake em to have more of a desert wasteland look to it..

Hmm...

*Ponders at the thought*

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:01 pm

I thought SOS had 3 different terrain types like Lugaru... I could be wrong though, its been a while since I did any editing with SOS.

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:16 pm

zip wrote:I thought SOS had 3 different terrain types like Lugaru... I could be wrong though, its been a while since I did any editing with SOS.
Nope only one type of texture each that I know of. Unless I have an older version but I don't think there were any new ones created. There is only one Skybox folder in the SOS texture folder and it's named "Skybox(grass)" which due to that name I had originally created a grassy green color scheme.

I re-colored the textures and it now looks more like a desert wasteland in my oppinion. Still waiting for a word from david about how the new textures look with the desert theme going on though. I sent the link to the file via AIM to him but I'm not sure if he had a chance to check it out.

Still have to redo the skybox but I'm going to holdoff on that until I have finalized the ground/wall textures.

ben

david

Post by ben » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:17 am

It seams to me that David will never have the time or experience to release a commercial game especially by himself. One person simply does not have all the experience in all the fields that are required to make a salable game. I appreciate David’s efforts and I'm content with his games. They are some of the best mac homebrew games ever. But I don't think we can expect a student to operate like a company.

OVER AND OUT!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: david

Post by Jeff » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:02 am

ben wrote:It seams to me that David will never have the time or experience to release a commercial game especially by himself. One person simply does not have all the experience in all the fields that are required to make a salable game. I appreciate David’s efforts and I'm content with his games. They are some of the best mac homebrew games ever. But I don't think we can expect a student to operate like a company.

OVER AND OUT!
So wrong.

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Re: david

Post by FrozenThunder » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:06 am

ben wrote:It seams to me that David will never have the time or experience to release a commercial game especially by himself. One person simply does not have all the experience in all the fields that are required to make a salable game. I appreciate David’s efforts and I'm content with his games. They are some of the best mac homebrew games ever. But I don't think we can expect a student to operate like a company.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. David does have enough experience to make a game that can be sold. The only thing he is short of is time since he is currently programming Lugaru on the side of his normal college work. He certainly can sell Lugaru when he finishes it. The only thing I really see lacking is texture quality which is only low since David has spent most of his time trying to work on gameplay which overall is the most important part. The rest is just eye/ear candy.

I'm sure if anyone that was remotely good with texture design could help improve the textures but it seems like nobody is willing to step up onto the plate for that one. And it really isn't that complicated to make a decent texture, you just need the patience and the will to make something good.

To say that one person can't make a commercial game by himself is a misconception, If you haven't noticed david has come quite far in making Lugaru. Games "Take time" to be completed just as it takes a long time for a big companies commercial game to be released. If you didn't know, Big companies are working on their games long before they even announce that they are even making something. When they finally do announce the new title it is either approaching completion or it is really far into development. They never miraculously get completed in 3 or 4 months from start to finish unless the games absolute sh*t, so just be patient when waiting for lugaru. It will be ready when it's ready. 8)

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:58 am

And supposedly it will be ready in a month.
The character textures are excellent, look at something like DarkWolf in the textures folder.

Flickta

Post by Flickta » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:00 pm

FrozenThunder wrote:Yeah I would be posting screenshots of the colored version but unfortunately for us all both Lugaru and SOS will Not allow snapzproX to take control of the screen even for a couple seconds. IF i use mac OS X's built in screenshot feature I just get a scrambled screenshot and with snapzpro I just get a frozen Lugaru/SOS window. It really does suck not being able to take screens.
I do it that way: Start up Lugaru, enter console, and make lots of screenshots. then clear out the garbage in Photoshop. Combine parts...

Or start Lugaru in classic mode. Then screenshots are ok, but the game is slow as hell