Wolfire Development Blog - Part 3!

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Vrav

Re: Wolfire Development Blog - Part 3!

Post by Vrav » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Ozymandias wrote:(terrain texturing)

I can't help but notice someone mentioned Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2 (Mighty183)

Will that how texturing work in this?I remember in Hammer (hal life 2) you just picked 1 texture and added decals to try to make it interesting, but in Tribes 2 you got a pallet of different textures you could "paint" onto the terrain at your will.

Not only that... Guys... Tribes 2 had an IN GAME EDITOR that knocked my socks off. I could be going about a level (or should I say map?), merrily, then any time I want I can just hit Alt+E (I think that's what the combo was) and then the level editing menus would pop up. Will I be able to do something like that in Overgrowth?
I'm not trying to be brief with you, but I believe most of the terrain editing is going to be done using World Machine, the basic non-commercial version of which is free, meaning it can be used for mods. Aubrey has said that there will likely be no in-editor heightmap painting, though I think we can assume that (if not explicit texture splatting) surface decals are going to be placed by hand, in the editor. And there will probably be plenty of them.

I think whether or not we will be able to define texture blending and location in the editor will depend on how good looking and in what format World Machine outputs that information.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:06 pm

Alright, so there's no in-game editor... fine by me, as long as editing the terrain is pretty simple I'll be allright.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:39 pm

Vrav wrote:I'm not trying to be brief with you, but I believe most of the terrain editing is going to be done using World Machine, the basic non-commercial version of which is free, meaning it can be used for mods.
But what about mac users?

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:49 am

Wow, Wolfire have been releasing updates like crazy recently =O

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:03 pm

Yes They Have!
We've entered a new level of awesomeness for sure!

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:18 am

Indeed, alpha 4 is a great step and looks awesome!

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:36 pm

(is it about time for a part 4 yet? =p)

Whole reason I'm posting here:
GC: What can we expect to see from you next, after that?

DR: We have so many game ideas floating around that we don’t even bother to write them down anymore. Possibly a dragon game (not some silly dragon rider thing, you are the dragon).
That sounds so unbelievably cool... I want that! XD Now I really can't wait till OG is done!