What would it take to add... Shields?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Rakaydos

What would it take to add... Shields?

Post by Rakaydos » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 am

I am wondering what it would take to create an offhand "weapon" with really good parry capability but weak offensive capability. Wicker shields are well within the capability of even tribal groups, and I feeel like their addition would add to Overgrowth.

Endoperez

Re: What would it take to add... Shields?

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:46 pm

Rakaydos wrote:I am wondering what it would take to create an offhand "weapon" with really good parry capability but weak offensive capability. Wicker shields are well within the capability of even tribal groups, and I feeel like their addition would add to Overgrowth.
They fit the world perfectly, but how would they make the combat more fun?

If they make combat less fun, they shouldn't be added.

If they don't make combat any more fun, they just make the game look better - in which case priority should be reserved for things that improve the looks of the game but are faster to do.

Now, what would they add? Would blocking be easier? Probably. Is making the blocking easier a good thing? Dunno. Maybe it could be used as an extra layer of "hitpoints" - shield takes few hits before breaking. Is that more fun than the enemy having more hitpoints?

Even if shields made combat more fun, they require first the models themselves, then the animations where they are used. Basically, alternate block animations. This is less work than adding a new weapon, but adding the code support for these additional animations would take some time (since there's the threat of accidentally causing a bug somewhere in the attacking, weapon-using or defending parts).

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:53 am

Shields should definitely be added. They have a lot of potential for mixing up combat. They would increase you block skill and be useful in the off hand, but prevent you from using two handed weapons, decrease melee attack (Overgrowth Rabbits tend to throw head makers with more power than you would get from a shield bunt, and possibly negate the reversal (Try throwing a person over your shoulder when there's a shield in the way. In short, it would increase defense while lowering offense, opening up new play styles for less aggressive, more careful players. However, the one handed swords will probably need a change first, since now they are overpowered in a similar way as in 1st edition DnD (Smaller weapons to the same damage as large ones, but attack faster).

jacobhankins

Post by jacobhankins » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:06 pm

Shields are important and its definitely should be added when you are playing this game cos it adds more fun.