Look at the comments on the Haphead video!

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: Look at the comments on the Haphead video!

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:17 pm

If I had the time I would, doing other things right now.

Point still stands

Also, something unrelated:

Mount and Blade: Warband review on Steam:
SJWFuck wrote:WARNING: The game makes it much harder to start off when playing a female character. This is not mentioned anywhere in the store page. I and many other people would not have bought the game if we were told this before buying it. It is incredibly cowardly of TaleWorlds to refuse to mention it, and unacceptable for a game made in 2010.

If you are planning on playing a male character, the game should still be fun. I need to write this so people know about the sexism in the game, so people don't get tricked into buying a game from a developer that they wouldn't otherwise support.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:16 am

all of this shit
implying gamer gate matters at all

And who gives a shit if we're pro-Wolfire? We've stuck with the team and game for years. And yet, we're biased, because a few users that are new to the game and community "want Wolfire to finish the damn game". Maybe, fucking news flash here, it's not easy to program your own game from scratch.

Maybe, and here's a fucking stretch, many in house game engines took years and years of development before the handful of games built on them were even announced.

Maybe all of the entitled little fucks who think that they can just demand that David finish the fucking game already need to pull their heads out of their asses and let him work in peace.

And maybe, just fucking maybe, the reason we're all insanely loyal to David is because David, and the rest of the team, have been insanely loyal to us.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:18 am

I'm not one of those people nor did I attempt to try and downplay Wolfire and Overgrowth, both of which have been amazing thus far (Giggity I guess).

My point was that people here are very loyal to Wolfire and Overgrowth, meaning I'm going to tread carefully with claims against Wolfire until evidence is provided for or against the claims. Anyone here would be the same with anyone else and any other community.

There is nothing wrong with that, but for my intents and purposes, the bias here means I'd like to see evidence before I take any side wholeheartedly. Sorry if that offends some of you, but that's how I feel.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:32 am

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote: There is nothing wrong with that, but for my intents and purposes, the bias here means I'd like to see evidence before I take any side wholeheartedly. Sorry if that offends some of you, but that's how I feel.
I would be fine with that. You didn't do that. You are not neutral, you side with Gamergate.

If you had said you assume GG innocent until proven otherwise, it would be neutral. You didn't. You stand with GG...

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:54 am

Note how I said "Wholeheartedly"

SamW

Post by SamW » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:27 am

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:Is it trolling when the words are true though?
Actually, it is not true. At least one part of that statement is an assumption.

Also it is pretty much trolling when somebody uses a that kind of label in a derogatory tone.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:40 am

That's sort of a catch all.

Ylvali

Post by Ylvali » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:Also, something unrelated:

Mount and Blade: Warband review on Steam:
SJWFuck wrote:WARNING: The game makes it much harder to start off when playing a female character. This is not mentioned anywhere in the store page. I and many other people would not have bought the game if we were told this before buying it. It is incredibly cowardly of TaleWorlds to refuse to mention it, and unacceptable for a game made in 2010.

If you are planning on playing a male character, the game should still be fun. I need to write this so people know about the sexism in the game, so people don't get tricked into buying a game from a developer that they wouldn't otherwise support.
Making a female career harsher in a game depicting a extremely misogynic era is not sexist at all.

Besides, more devs need to do it like taleworlds because us female gamers need the challenge. It's kinda boring playing all games in easymode just because they're designed for the inferior sex.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:30 am

I do think it can be sexis to make a game harder for female characters.

For example, in the roguelike ADOM males are stronger and females more dexterous, and that's fine. However, the game also has Appearance and Charisma stats. Charisma is the main stat for most non-hostile interactions with NPCs and monsters, and is the stat that affects shop prices for men. Appearance used to have no major effects besides affecting shop prices for women. It was there just so pretty women get cheaper stuff.

That is an expression of sexism (women are just a pretty face) on game design. That, I think, should be discouraged.

There can also be fluff and story of a sexist world expressed on game design. For example, a Dancer class, NPC attitudes being different towards female warriors, or female characters being designed for roles emphasizing mobility, skill, grace, healing etc. instead of tanking, toughness, brutality and physical strength and endurance. It's not bad unless its ubiquitous as a trope.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Endoperez wrote:I do think it can be sexis to make a game harder for female characters.
If it's not harsher for female players, then it certainly isn't.
Developers can craft a world that is misogynistic, make realistic events based off gender, or have characters be misogynistic.
It's not as simple as "Game punishes one gender. It's sexist."

However, the game also has Appearance and Charisma stats. Charisma is the main stat for most non-hostile interactions with NPCs and monsters, and is the stat that affects shop prices for men. Appearance used to have no major effects besides affecting shop prices for women. It was there just so pretty women get cheaper stuff.
That seems sexist towards men as well, aside from being a somewhat realistic mechanic.
Male characters have nothing but their ability to talk a shopkeeper into giving them cheap items.

Female characters can use their looks to coax the apparently sex crazed shopkeeper (Plus the charisma stat) into giving her stuff for cheap.
That seems like a form of misandry (Saying all men want sex).

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:39 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:If it's not harsher for female players, then it certainly isn't.
Developers can craft a world that is misogynistic, make realistic events based off gender, or have characters be misogynistic.
It's not as simple as "Game punishes one gender. It's sexist."
Sexism can be an expressed idea. Thinking women can't drive is a sexist stereotype, even if it doesn't change traffic rules.
Yes, my last paragraph said so.
Yes.
That seems sexist towards men as well, aside from being a somewhat realistic mechanic.
Male characters have nothing but their ability to talk a shopkeeper into giving them cheap items.

Female characters can use their looks to coax the apparently sex crazed shopkeeper (Plus the charisma stat) into giving her stuff for cheap.
That seems like a form of misandry (Saying all men want sex).
Yes' it's sexist towards both genders. Most things are like that.

Shopkeepers can be male or female, it's rather random (named NPC shops are run by male NPCs though).. Stat effects stay the same AFAIK.

That's sexism not misandry, and yes it is sexist.