Overgrowth Weekly

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
GreenFlame

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by GreenFlame » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:29 am

I'm very happy to see this! Forgot OGWeekly is a thing.
Interview with David is really great way to compensate for not much going on twitter/main site. So happy to see him back!

I hope there will be more interaction with the community, missing the weekly updates a lot. Even felt some nostalgia watching the interview, I want more Wolfire back, I kind of used to live on the site, at least every Tuesday was extra special due to updates and it remains my favorite day of the week still.

Is the next interview happening by the end of the month?

So, Q1: What are the plans for interaction with the community? Is it going to be increased and how much more interaction could be worth the time taken from development?

Q2: What kind of change to updates can we expect in the near future? Do you think you are going to focus more on gameplay? Or maybe udpates are going to be more frequent? Or any other kind of change to the current state of things?

Also wonder what is that situation with TB and David? I read some twits but only got confused. Not sure if it would be a good thing to talk about on the show, but maybe something short to calm down those who got angry and explain the situation better.
And whatever the situation is, I think people overact, I've got a very strong feeling that David's actions are reasonable and right.
I'm only afraid of this situation affecting the studio in a bad way, and I hope it's not the case. So I wonder what Wolfire can tell about all that TB stuff. Maybe it can count as Q3.

Q4: What about an option to enable the double slo-mo on KOing an enemy/active block? It looked pretty fun back then!

Looking forward to hearing & seeing more & more often from you! Good Luck, Wolfire!
Last edited by GreenFlame on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:33 am

GreenFlame wrote: Also wonder what is that situation with TB and David? I read some twits but only got confused. Not sure if it would be a good thing to talk about on the show, but maybe something short to calm down those who got angry and explain the situation better.

I think that'd just invite more of the same. Have you checked the thread about Haphead comments?

GreenFlame

Post by GreenFlame » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:16 am

Yes, and seen the comments myself, people don't seem to even understand what Haphead is. Though the situation with TB is still unclear for me.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Well they did post a blog post together regarding it.

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:32 pm

I think my questions may be too simple or dumb but here goes:

What will be the difference in either killing a character or just knocking it out?

I saw some wooden spikes asset at some point in the Art Asset Overview, will those get some gameplay mechanic or be used just for decoration?

There are some blunt weapon models in the game, could we get an idea about when will those get their mechanics in place?

Could we know a bit more about how the arena campaign will work like?

And just to verify:

The pathfinding system doesn't work proper, when I tell it to calculate nav mesh it does nothing, and the AI just runs in one direction. Is it that the AI systems have been changed or that my game is messed up?
Last edited by Retarded Username on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:46 am

pretty sure is spam bot

tannim

Post by tannim » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:50 am

It DOES have spam in the profile, so yes, it is a spam bot. (as if the text it wrote wasn't obvious enough :)

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:20 am

underthedeep wrote:"Cool...coool"

Never change Silverfish... never change.
I hate myself every time. :D

Keep them questions coming! :)

goldroman22

Post by goldroman22 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:25 am

is friendly fire a possibility?

Sprinkle070

Post by Sprinkle070 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:52 am

Hello David! I have two questions about the Arena which I love to play in

Q1: The Arena is a good place to work on our fighting skills, but it can get a little bland after a while. In movies and games, arena fights are normally spiced up beyond the simple Four Walls and a Floor. This can be vertical and horizontal wooden beams, cat walks, platforms, uneven terrain, multitudes of weapons spread out all over the place, and other obstacles.

Could it be possibly to add a new Arena Game Type that gives us these randomly changing environmental factors to spice up our gameplay?

Q2: I love the brutal overkill system, and I love that we are no longer disqualified for it now. However the button for Attack (Left Click for me) is also the same as "Go to next fight"

This makes overkill difficult after winning a match, could the button to go to the next fight be something else, Like E or T?

Thank for very much! Love Overgrowth! Keep up the good work!

Sprinkle070

Post by Sprinkle070 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:58 am

Just thought of another!

Will we have a more user friendly way to load in a customized character in the game? And possibly the game remembering that we prefer a custom character over Turner?

And not just the type of model and the color selection we prefer, but also objects that have been attached to their model like Armor, Backpacks, and Hats?

I like turner, but I want to make my own character unique and have the game remember to use it as the default

Thank you for taking my question =^_^=

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:46 am

my question is more a coding question,

is it possible to script a "weapon" item to attack an enemy at a certain distance with something like particles to do damage instead of coalition markers?

example like the laser eyes script does an attack but use that on a sword for example, so instead of the normal sword thrust animation the sword would emit particles like the laser eyes and hit the enemy ncp.

and follow up question if you could script the weapon to used ranged attacks is it possible to create a probability loop that determines wether the particles hit/damage the ncp or miss/cause no damage
to the ncp?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:38 am

I actually played with those sorts of things, when I was trying out ideas for a gun mod.
It's a bit tough, since the functionality in OG's scripts was built for melee combat, primarily. I think what you're looking for is rather doable now. I chatted with David once and he said there are some new tagging system or other he made, so that individual weapons can have completely unique behavior.

I was very interested in that, for the possibility of a gun mod. I should really revisit it, now that the scripting is so much more powerful and some many animation features are exposed to the scripts.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:33 pm

Around 20 hours remain until the next Q&A and OGW goes live!

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:44 am

Just got one question, are there going to be more additions to the combat and the blood systems? If there will, could you specify what are you planning to add?