Overgrowth Weekly

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
User avatar
moomoohk
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:43 pm
Location: Israel
Contact:

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by moomoohk » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:20 am

yo booyakasha it's ya boi moomoohk wif a question for ma boi david

a few days ago david came on irc and someone asked about proper mod support. i think everyone agrees the current system is pretty pants for both developers and users, can't really say "mod support" is a real feature of the game.

so dave, what's the game plan?

p.s. i suggested a mod loading concept to you which is simple and powerful in theory. i'm pretty sure you got the idea at the time but if not, lemme know.

User avatar
rodeje25
Posts: 1036
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 am
Location: Cold and Rainy Netherlands

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by rodeje25 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:35 am

moomoohk wrote:yo booyakasha it's ya boi moomoohk wif a question for ma boi david

a few days ago david came on irc and someone asked about proper mod support. i think everyone agrees the current system is pretty pants for both developers and users, can't really say "mod support" is a real feature of the game.

so dave, what's the game plan?

p.s. i suggested a mod loading concept to you which is simple and powerful in theory. i'm pretty sure you got the idea at the time but if not, lemme know.
just got an idea for an application in wich you can load your .obj file and your sharpnss map or shinnyness map and then it "compiles" the mod for you so you don't have to fuck around making .xml files refering to everything the mod needs and bladiebladiebla

NINJATIGERXD
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:52 pm

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by NINJATIGERXD » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Will you ever release a free demo of overgrowth?

User avatar
rodeje25
Posts: 1036
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 am
Location: Cold and Rainy Netherlands

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by rodeje25 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:56 pm

Lukas i think you won't be able to keep up with all the questions.
Good luck this evening (timezones)

User avatar
Windlord
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:42 am
Location: Up in the sky, over the clouds
Contact:

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by Windlord » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:02 pm

How do you both (David, Aubrey) keep yourselves at the top of your game, motivated, and focused?

I would imagine that there might be lulls in productivity for such a large-scale and long-running project, especially done by just a couple of people.

User avatar
theonemat
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by theonemat » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:31 pm

Will we ever see bones as more of a feature. eg a broken leg affecting walking or a broken arm effecting damage ?

VoidSkull
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by VoidSkull » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:12 pm

Will we ever see unique character customization, and will we ever see forest settings or environmental damage?

VoidSkull
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by VoidSkull » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:14 pm

Will we ever see unique character customization, forest maps, and will we ever see environmental damage?

User avatar
Silverfish
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:24 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by Silverfish » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:54 pm

Here's the latest recording!


User avatar
Thomason1005
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:44 am
Location: GerMany

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by Thomason1005 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:26 pm

now i have one more question about graphics:

the Detail texture System which OG uses is cool but creates pretty flat surfaces atm. other games feature parallax mapping (aka Offset mapping/ displacement mapping) or tesselation which both use a depth texture in the end.
Now is this sth you would consider putting into the game or would it mean too much work to make these depth maps.

also have you heard of ninja theory's hellblade Project and would you compare their way of doing Thing to yours? they also try to make a AAA Quality singleplayer game with a small Team using repeating objects and slight character differences.
do you think more People approching this "AAA indie" sector is a good Thing?

MalekTaktak
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:50 am

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by MalekTaktak » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:06 am

So I recently discovered that Overgrowth had a lot of level designing potential especially with dialogues, custom animations, hotspots and such, I've even been making an RPG type level complete with parkour, enemies, cutscenes, secrets, objects that your character comments on and findable party members/items.

It's rather interesting what you can do with Overgrowth assets, and I'm still discovering a lot of hidden items and functionalities, I have even meddled with the scripts and fixed a few annoying bugs with the levels and the characters.

Anyway, in certain situations, I find myself missing some kind of event flags, if I find a new party member and bring him with me, then there's a dialogue he may or may not be included in, I would like some kind of trigger or if condition to make him part of the dialogue in case he's with me.

Also, I made a few hidden trap doors and huts with more characters and secrets, the way I did this was to load another level the moment you reach the door, of course it would be convenient with a button trigger but whatever, the problem is that when you're done and go back to the initial level, you go back waay before to your initial spawn, because the level resets and you didn't have your progress saved. So I've been wondering if there would be some kind of level save hotspot as a solution, so you could save your progression and respawn at that checkpoint and not resetting anything.

Even better, a teleporter hotspot and a teleporting destination hotspot (which could have a "go back" parameter that can be set to true or false) so I wouldn't have to load a new level each time I want to "enter a trapdoor" which is really just teleporting to another level then going back to the previous just to find it reset with all the npcs alive and my progress wiped.

Does any of this have a chance to be part of the game's editor in the future?

Right now, my level isn't anything truly outstanding compared to what I see on Overgrowth Mod videos, but it does try to be something... different. Like the RPG party thing and secret interactions. So I'm going to wait until something like savepoints get added before releasing it in its full glory.

Thanks for reading!

User avatar
rodeje25
Posts: 1036
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 am
Location: Cold and Rainy Netherlands

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:21 pm

What have you planned for OG in the coming weeks? Months? Years?

User avatar
Anton
pretty cool guy
Posts: 3327
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by Anton » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:29 pm

MalekTaktak wrote:
[+] ShortenedforSpace
So I recently discovered that Overgrowth had a lot of level designing potential especially with dialogues, custom animations, hotspots and such, I've even been making an RPG type level complete with parkour, enemies, cutscenes, secrets, objects that your character comments on and findable party members/items.

It's rather interesting what you can do with Overgrowth assets, and I'm still discovering a lot of hidden items and functionalities, I have even meddled with the scripts and fixed a few annoying bugs with the levels and the characters.

Anyway, in certain situations, I find myself missing some kind of event flags, if I find a new party member and bring him with me, then there's a dialogue he may or may not be included in, I would like some kind of trigger or if condition to make him part of the dialogue in case he's with me.

Also, I made a few hidden trap doors and huts with more characters and secrets, the way I did this was to load another level the moment you reach the door, of course it would be convenient with a button trigger but whatever, the problem is that when you're done and go back to the initial level, you go back waay before to your initial spawn, because the level resets and you didn't have your progress saved. So I've been wondering if there would be some kind of level save hotspot as a solution, so you could save your progression and respawn at that checkpoint and not resetting anything.
Even better, a teleporter hotspot and a teleporting destination hotspot (which could have a "go back" parameter that can be set to true or false) so I wouldn't have to load a new level each time I want to "enter a trapdoor" which is really just teleporting to another level then going back to the previous just to find it reset with all the npcs alive and my progress wiped.
[+] Shortened For Space
Does any of this have a chance to be part of the game's editor in the future?

Right now, my level isn't anything truly outstanding compared to what I see on Overgrowth Mod videos, but it does try to be something... different. Like the RPG party thing and secret interactions. So I'm going to wait until something like savepoints get added before releasing it in its full glory.

Thanks for reading!
There are some modders who have made teleport scripts, which you can find in the modding subforum, as well as some other mods that save the state of the game. In general though, some kind of checkpoint / save state would be a great addition.

You should follow the link here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16422 and register your account, and share with the other modders some of what you have done, but also look for potential solutions to your issues. Good luck with the mod!

MalekTaktak
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:50 am

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by MalekTaktak » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:22 am

Anton wrote:
There are some modders who have made teleport scripts, which you can find in the modding subforum, as well as some other mods that save the state of the game. In general though, some kind of checkpoint / save state would be a great addition.

You should follow the link here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16422 and register your account, and share with the other modders some of what you have done, but also look for potential solutions to your issues. Good luck with the mod!
Thank you for answering and reading my insanely long post!

Actually, I have some trouble with my Overgrowth Steam copy not having a CD Key attached which I've submitted as a ticket to [email protected].

Anyway, I'd love to see if these scripts actually save things like dialogues triggered, enemies positions and statuses, and your own status.

Since you're a developer, I have a few questions concerning dialogues: is there a chance that we see some dialogue improvements/changes in the future? Specific small dialogue parameters like when a dialogue is up, any non-participants cannot agro on participants, if any participants are dead, the dialogue hotspot cannot trigger (usually if I sneak up on an enemy encounter and kill them, the dialogue involving them can still trigger if I get inside the hotspot zone)

Could we see an option for triggering dialogues with a button press?

There's also something a bit more advanced regarding the start_dialogue hotspot, which is sharing multiple dialogues within the same trigger hotspot.

By that I mean when you trigger it for the first time, it triggers one dialogue, if you trigger it again, optionally after completing an objective like bringing a certain item or killing an enemy, another dialogue can trigger from the same hotspot.

This is useful when you need a dialogue in the same spot as another one for when some event flags were triggered or when someone repeats a new tip phrase after you've done talking to them once.

Thanks for reading!

Arekku-Senpai
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:18 pm

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by Arekku-Senpai » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:46 pm

I saw on YouTube this thing called Sum Launcher for Overgrowth and i wanted to download it, but they say when u buy the game u get an email. I bought the game on Steam and i didn't get an email showing where to enter my forum code. Overgrowth gives me a code every time i open it, but i don't have a place to enter it because it didn't get a link. What do i do to download Sum Launcher if i don't have anywhere to enter my forum code?

Post Reply