Overgrowth Weekly

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Silverfish

Re: OGW Q&A with the developers

Post by Silverfish » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:27 pm

wake wrote:In the spirit of open development, you could have each team member say a little bit about what they have been working in a blog post or a video for the next alpha.
That would be cool. We generally don't want to take people's time to do things like this though simply because it's time that could be spent on the game instead.

We have been working on a time tracking system which will give a better overview over what everyone does. So if we get someone who's tasked with PR, writing a summary might be something that person could do.

It's a Google Docs based system, so we could in theory just allow anyone to look at it. I'm not sure if we want to do that though. It could contain spoilers, and it's important that the team is comfortable with using the system, which they might not be if anyone can see what is going on in there.

I think right now the best way to keep up to date on what people are doing is to follow OGW. We start out each show with a summary of what has been going on in the project since the last OGW.

wake

Post by wake » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Will you make a countdown to the next alphas on the website?

wake

Post by wake » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:54 am

Will you consider releasing alphas, even if you are not pleased with them or if they have bugs? People can always choose to play one of the more stable alphas.

I am looking forwards to trying out the mod stuff on linux :)

wake

Post by wake » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:21 am

In the changelog for a209 it says "Progress on native UI widgets".

Will you replace awesomium? On Linux, so many dependencies are needed to get Phoenix to work because of it...
edit: Tested a210, it works well on my Linux computer so I guess I shouldn't complain :)

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Here is the recording for OGW 103.

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:17 pm

Hello. Nice episode. I hear how Anton is working on the music for the arena. He said a while back that he wanted some heavy percussion that fit the overgrowth world.
I think the music when it picks up 28 seconds into the video has some great drums. Would this be something similar to what you have in mind? Also on another note...
Is this still a possibility for cutscenes? The motion capture just makes the characters seem so real, the way they move, the way they act slightly bored (I certainly would be If I had to guard a block for days) and try to keep themselves entertained. You would have to close the mouth and fix the hands and feet of course. Thanks!

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:24 pm

daxtart wrote:Hello. Nice episode. I hear how Anton is working on the music for the arena. He said a while back that he wanted some heavy percussion that fit the overgrowth world.
I think the music when it picks up 28 seconds into the video has some great drums. Would this be something similar to what you have in mind?
That music is already written for the game. We're working to do something new. :) We will probably still use those tracks, but we're playing around with how they interact with the game.

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:02 pm

Anton wrote:
That music is already written for the game. We're working to do something new. :) We will probably still use those tracks, but we're playing around with how they interact with the game.
Nice. Sounds pretty difficult to me.

sauron17

Post by sauron17 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:56 pm

AMD vs Nvidia?
I have a PC running an AMD with 16 GB of RAM, a 64-bit OS and an 8-core processor. My problem is the game runs at under 10 FPS.
I have a much older PC with 4 GB, a 2-core, 32-bit Vista and an Nvidia. The game runs just fine on that PC.
So, I'm wondering if this has to do with AMD vs Nvidia and/or if there is anything that I can do about it.

wake

Post by wake » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:08 am

sauron17 wrote:AMD vs Nvidia?
I have a PC running an AMD with 16 GB of RAM, a 64-bit OS and an 8-core processor. My problem is the game runs at under 10 FPS.
I have a much older PC with 4 GB, a 2-core, 32-bit Vista and an Nvidia. The game runs just fine on that PC.
So, I'm wondering if this has to do with AMD vs Nvidia and/or if there is anything that I can do about it.
AMD are known for terrible OpenGL drivers for Windows, where their DirectX implementations are usually fair enough. Nvidia are known to be good at drivers, and supporting even their older devices.

When Unity3D developers started out, they made everyone buy a Mac to use Unity3D, and they developed the editor for OS X. They decided to implement a Direct3D implementation for their runtime, which they say was one of their best decisions.

wake

Post by wake » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:14 am

Will you guys add Wii mote and nunchuck support? :)

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:31 am

At first I thought that was a stupid idea but I thought about it. That would be amazing. And they have Bluetooth support! I am still trying to figure out a reasonable control scheme though. Also, you guys might want to move the most recent update into 'Overgrowth Development Videos' playlist. That is the first thing they see on the page and if they don't spot the update they might not notice it.

wake

Post by wake » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:40 am

Will you consider supporting Google Angle? It translates OpenGL ES 2.0 into DirectX 9/DirectX 11. This will solve your performance and compatibility problems on Windows. https://github.com/google/angle

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:14 pm

I sti wonder if thers still happening sth with the under glass jam thing. There was supposed to be an unfinished release i think... Kindof liked the assets & stuff

Maybe could we have them imported in og?

Dammasta
Location: Somewhere under the rainbow, face down in the dirt.

Post by Dammasta » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Silverfish wrote:Here is the recording for OGW 103.
I'm not sure how I feel about that "sniper project". :?