Overgrowth Weekly

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
slunchy

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by slunchy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:57 am

a) It was mentioned previously that more "essential" features were in line. Generally, what's the idea there (what's essential)?

If "flexible," or something alike is in the response:

b) When the core components of the game's mechanics are formed, will that simplify aesthetic or narrative decisions? Is that typical of game development?

I really enjoy the fluidity and scope of the design so far, and look forward to the next alpha video.
Thanks!

fromkms

Post by fromkms » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:23 am

Are you planning to add new challenges? Maybe additions to "gladiator" campaign?

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:42 am

my questions to david:
are you gonna add more "eyecandy" or will you get the game in beta and add content(story, maps and so on) and then add detail (eyecandy).

will there be more characters?

will the story be bigger than in lugaru?

will there be guns or bows

Ecomp

Post by Ecomp » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:57 am

How much time do you spend developing OG on an average week?
How frequently will future updates come out?
Do you plan on adding bodies of water to the game, or would that be too difficult, or take away from more important things?

Cute lil' Kitty

Post by Cute lil' Kitty » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:51 pm

I have a question, and I think quite a few people would like to see answered:

Will there be any form of multiplayer? If so, how will it work?

I have a possible answer to countering the jump cannon attacks brought up in the previous Q&A. If you or an enemy performs a cannon, but misses, the performer could be in a vulnerable state whenever he/she lands, like kneeling to the ground, allowing the opposing fighter to get a free hit.

ausome12345

Post by ausome12345 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:16 pm

How far are you into the story for the game?

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks for answering my question David, I was really hoping for blood pools and I`m glad to hear its planned to be done.

Cute lil' Kitty

Post by Cute lil' Kitty » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm glad to see my question answered David, quite an unexpected suprise :D .

Edit: I did mean to ask about online multiplayer, but I'm glad it was thought as online multiplayer. You guys do a fantastic job on your show, though I can't watch it live since my internet isn't as good as i'd like it to be.
Last edited by Cute lil' Kitty on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aidanrooney95

Post by aidanrooney95 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Do you plan to add a way to have checkpoints? Maybe once you go through a trigger you spawn in a certain place next time you die/press a respawn key

akazi

Post by akazi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:30 pm

Hello David I have a question, are you guys at the stage where you know exactly what is required to rig and/or animate characters in Overgrowth? If you're at a solid foundation with all this, then can we get some developer made tips on proper ways to set up rigs and animations for custom characters and weapons so they are ready to be exported into overgrowth?
Everyone is pretty much doing this blindly, and I would REALLY love a tutorial of some kind. I hope I wrote this in a way that makes sense. :D Also update blender scripts to a more stable version of blender, and a fix for the animation import script? *falls to knees begging* :mrgreen:

Another question, I noticed you changed the layout of the custom content folders such as the "InstalledContent" folder with a few mods and fixes but they are all .json files. And also the "content.json file located in the Data folder. Is this a slow transition to Steam Workshop support?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:33 am

akazi wrote:Another question, I noticed you changed the layout of the custom content folders such as the "InstalledContent" folder with a few mods and fixes but they are all .json files. And also the "content.json file located in the Data folder. Is this a slow transition to Steam Workshop support?
I think I can answer this question for you... those are all SUMLauncher files. :) That is how SUMLauncher knows what you have installed, and how to delete the files.

GreenFlame

Post by GreenFlame » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:02 am

Nice to see these Q&A, got some more questions. Though some of them are more like suggestions & some sound like criticism, but I'm very curious to know, so hope they get asked too.

The Questions:

Q1:Any changes/additions to combat mechanics or any new ways for the player to interact with the world more? Maybe things like being able to talk to enemy during/before battle.

Q2:Are animations getting more polishing?(e.g. character body twists unnaturally when performing roundhouse kick). Do you plan to hire an animator to free more time for programming or you rather enjoy animating yourself?

Also a bunch of blood-related questions:

QB1:Do you plan to add visual marks for wounds? As of now there is blood mark but it blends in with the blood trails. It could be nice if there was distinct cut and the following blood around it.

QB2:When you hit an enemy with the big sword there is a fountain of blood that seems a bit too huge and out of place. Is it a placeholder or pretty much final effect?

QB3:The blood on enemy body starts light-red and ends up cherry-red. Not an expert myself, but maybe it could start cherry-red and end up brown-red upon drying?

QB4:Do you plan to use the blood shader from the old video(blood splattered on the cube)?

QB5:Are wounds going to affect character's abilities, like disabling them from jumps or kicks? Will players need to render their wounds or they recover behind the scene between the levels like in Lugaru?

Thanks for reading & answering, waiting for the next Q&A =)

Karel

Post by Karel » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:23 pm

sweet!

zomsabra

Post by zomsabra » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:32 pm

Hmm...So many questions I could ask, but Ill keep it to one.

Do you have any plans for a Multiplayer Dual mode? Or any kind of online multiplayer?

Karel

Post by Karel » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:48 pm

- How likely would it be to see Sum launcher integrated by default as an official solution, or an official OG launcher to be made? Currently having the sum launcher on the steam version can be bothering.

- Do you plan on using the steam workshop for OG mods/maps/etc, along with the steam cloud?

-Are any improvements to be made on parkour, and movement in general (Like, we are currently forced to spam jumping to walk up slopes)

- Did you think of a way to rebalance/nerf the leg cannon, or making it harder to use/easier to counter?