Overgrowth Weekly

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
PetzI

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by PetzI » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:38 pm

Are you satisfied with the cats and the female rabbits, in terms of graphics? They both seem strange to me. Neither of them look at slick as I'd expect, though I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe their necks are too fat? The rabbit girl's arms seem a bit skinny and her face seems to be too round at the nose. It could also have something to do with their animations.

Felolis

Post by Felolis » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:14 pm

Have you thought about doing trigger events or logic gates of some kind? It would really make a lot of intresting and clever maps.

kibaoo

Post by kibaoo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:15 pm

It is on?

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:47 pm

We just finished a Q&A, there were a few questions we didn't get to that we might cover next time. Thanks for all of your great questions, keep them coming and we'll ask David the ones we like the most on the next Q&A in two weeks! :)

http://ogweekly.com/87.htm

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Will there be animal running implemented? That is one of my favourite things from Lugaru. will you add spine crusher? If you come up behind someone, right click could be grab, and left click could be spine crush.

edit:
Will Wolfire send copies of Overgrowth to you tubers to gain popularity? Imagine what a Pewdiepie video could do for your fan base, he has 20 million subscribers, and I think anyone would buy the game if they saw its potential in action.
Last edited by renamedperson on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sumguy720

Post by Sumguy720 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:06 am

Back in 2010 you wrote a blog post about the yin and yang of game design. You said "games are a medium whose potential, their interactivity, is often squandered. To make the most of this potential it's important to achieve a good balance of player freedom and challenge. "

I know it might be a bit early to be tacking down gameplay for Overgrowth, but it seems to me like it's becoming a great sandbox combat game. When thinking about the balance of choice and challenge in overgrowth, what are some ways that you want the player to be in control, and to what extent do you want the game to dictate what's happening? Are there any games out there right now that have a balance of freedom and challenge that is close to what you have in mind for overgrowth?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:35 am

Sumguy720 wrote:Back in 2010 you wrote a blog post about the yin and yang of game design. You said "games are a medium whose potential, their interactivity, is often squandered. To make the most of this potential it's important to achieve a good balance of player freedom and challenge. "

I know it might be a bit early to be tacking down gameplay for Overgrowth, but it seems to me like it's becoming a great sandbox combat game. When thinking about the balance of choice and challenge in overgrowth, what are some ways that you want the player to be in control, and to what extent do you want the game to dictate what's happening? Are there any games out there right now that have a balance of freedom and challenge that is close to what you have in mind for overgrowth?

That's a lovely question! :)

ShakerGER

Post by ShakerGER » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:03 pm

I think David once said we could meet the ppl from the comics.

Now my question IF we meet them will there be several questlines? And if so will the characters meet up and use kinda the companion AI?

Next question will there be a rat charackter that helps turner / is friendly to him?

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Also, I was wondering about the Snowblood Paladins. Aubrey created these guys awhile ago, and I was wondering if they had been scrapped. As far as I know, there has been no news on this recently.
Video in which they were introduced: (THANKS ENDOPEREZ!)
Also he had done some arena stuff, and I was wondering if the hanging garden arena will be implemented in the alphas, or only in the final version. Thanks for making this awesome game David, and Aubrey!
Last edited by renamedperson on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:40 am, edited 6 times in total.

Karel

Post by Karel » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:25 pm

When will we see (or more like, hear) the main theme on the menu? We know of it since like, ages, yet it's not implemented.

Is the old 2009 video with fluids physics, blood etc still a thing? May we see that stuff happening in the game in the future?

Are we likely to see parkour/movement improvements/features soon? If yes, what ones? (I'm kinda bothered by rabbits running down slopes, stairs and having to spam jump to climb)

Here's an attempt at fan art, but my old tablet which I repaired many times already is dying, and it's something done quite fast as I don't have the time. If I had the time and hardware, I'd do a proper, non sketchy, clean, colored and shaded rabbit.

I suppose it's some kind of commoner/travelling rabbit or some shit.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:38 am

daxtart wrote:
How do I embed videos?
The youtube tags don't recognice https: in the beginning. Remove the s so it's http: . also, it has to be just the watch?CODE and not any &stuff &after it.

Swordarm

Post by Swordarm » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:04 am

How is the long-term development plan for actual game content? Overgrowth is an engine and a toolkit for years now and continues to improve but when will it finally transition to being an actual game?

Swordarm

Post by Swordarm » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:07 am

Oh forgot one question... Since it is unrelated to the original one, let's use a new post.

Will there be any development on Low Light Combat? I would love a LAN mode without a central server and a few different maps. Source Code would of course also be useful...

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:37 am

Will lanterns be in the game as an alternate light source?
Once I get better at map making, I could make a raider camp, and it is lit up by lanterns, or campfires.
Also, do shadows affect your character's visibility? If so, then I could make a sneaking map where you could avoid the lanterns, and if you get spotted by an enemy, the level ends.
Last edited by renamedperson on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Insert name here]

Post by [Insert name here] » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:08 am

I have a question,
Did you ever think of includeing dismemberment of limbs as a game mechanic? Just wondering.