Questions about buying Overgrowth with Steam vs HumbleBundle

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
bugmenot

Questions about buying Overgrowth with Steam vs HumbleBundle

Post by bugmenot » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:59 pm

Hello,
I have some "Steam Wallet" cards, and I'm considering purchasing Overgrowth through Steam, I know that if I buy it through the HumbleBundle store I get Receiver & Low Light Combat, but the information on the Steam page only says that I'll get Low Light Combat (no mention of Receiver at all), so I'm wondering, if I buy Overgrowth via Steam, will I not get Receiver? or is it not mentioned because I won't have Receiver through Steam? (i.e. will I get it, but only through the Humble Bundle site's download page?)

I was also wondering, if I buy Overgrowth via Steam while it's on sale (e.g. right now), who takes the loss? who will have approximately $5 less money than if I were to wait a few days and buy it when it's not on sale? Wolfire? or Valve?

Are there any other differences that I should be aware of before I make a decision?

EPR89

Re: Questions about buying Overgrowth with Steam vs HumbleBu

Post by EPR89 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:50 pm

As for what you get:

It doesn't matter where you preorder from. If you preorder from the Humble Store, you will get the free games, access to the SPF and a Steam key.
If you preorder from Steam, you will get a CD key that can be used to unlock the game on the Humble Store and get everything associated with that version. This seems to be a tiny bit more difficult, though. But we have pretty solid instructions that will help you to set everything up.

bugmenot

Post by bugmenot » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks, I've already seen those instructions, but they don't cover my question (thanks for the link anyway, it may prove helpful to others who read this thread in the future).
I understand that I can get Overgrowth & Low Light Combat no matter which way I buy Overgrowth. What I'm wondering is this: If I buy Overgrowth via Steam, will I get Receiver too? or is that only for people who buy via the Humble Bundle store? (and/or got it in a Humble Bundle bundle?)

I want to know, because I want to buy Overgrowth with my "Steam Wallet" cards, but If I won't get Receiver along with it, then I'll probably wait till I can (hopefully, eventually) buy it via the HumbleBundle store, because I want Receiver too.

Can someone who knows (e.g. someone who purchased a copy of Overgrowth via Steam) please respond?

akazi

Post by akazi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:47 pm

Yes you do get a free copy of Receiver, no matter where you buy from.

bugmenot

Post by bugmenot » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:09 am

Thank you Akazi.

Now I'm just wondering if I should hurry up and get it now while it's still 15% off, or should I wait and get it when it's full price? I don't mind buying it on sale if Valve's the one taking the cut, but if it's coming out of how much goes to Wolfire, then I think I'll wait & buy it after the sale's up.
Does anyone know?

And again, Thank you both for your answers.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:49 am

bugmenot wrote:Now I'm just wondering if I should hurry up and get it now while it's still 15% off, or should I wait and get it when it's full price? I don't mind buying it on sale if Valve's the one taking the cut, but if it's coming out of how much goes to Wolfire, then I think I'll wait & buy it after the sale's up.
Does anyone know?
I have no idea, but I LOVE your attitude! I haven't come across anyone wanting to make sure the developers get their money, instead of just grabbing the game from the sale ASAP. So whatever you decide to do, it's cool that you put some thought into it. :)