What comes after i get my shit together ?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
theonemat

What comes after i get my shit together ?

Post by theonemat » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:16 pm

I REALLY want to contribute to this community but i all ways feel uninspired and after i get over that I would really like to know how to rig a characterin blender . so if anyone knows how to do that please tell/link me how to do it.

Endoperez

Re: What comes after i get my shit together ?

Post by Endoperez » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:25 pm

Vertex weighting, or skinning, is what you want to do.

Basically,"if I move my left toe, do I want the vertex on my right ear to move? No. What about left pinkie finger? No. What about my eyes? No."

Rigging would be "how many bones do I have, again? If I turn my head that way, what happens to my jaw? Wait, are you telling me I can put my leg down TOES first, too?!" Sometimes they're called with different names, or combined into one task of rigging, but the way I learned them rigging is the harder groundwork and skinning is the weight painting that uses an existing rig. In OG you can use the existing rabbit rig, so you only need to do the weight painting.

That hard part comes when you try to do the parts between two bones. If my thumb moves,how much does it affect the side of my palm? If my hand turns up at the wrist, how much of the wrist follows, how much stays put?

You want to do the sort of thing explained in these videos.

Envelope weights is the automatic weight painting, which is a good starting place but needs to be fixed if you want good results.

edit: 10 minutes from starting up my computer to answering a complex-ish question. This might be a personal record. :P

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:38 pm

Where is guinnes? we need him right now!

*whispers* don't you say a word about that it might have been a personal record. I'm trying to get you name into a book! *whispers*

theonemat

Post by theonemat » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:22 pm

Thanks for the response. Really help -full and nice it came so quick