Random problem

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Ubis_Anubis

Random problem

Post by Ubis_Anubis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:38 am

I have just recently gotten the game and obtained access to sum launcher today and i have a strange issue that i don't know if it is associated with sum launcher, but i would guess it is because i didn't have any issues before. the problem is that whenever i have tried to start the game, it gives a black screen and doesn't do anything. don't get me wrong, i'm a complete noob with this kind of stuff and am probably just forgetting something trivial, but i really am stuck and have no idea how to fix this, some help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :)

EPR89

Re: Random problem

Post by EPR89 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:14 am

Overgrowth related issues go in the SPF.

I find it hard to believe that this is caused by the SUMLauncher. I have just reinstalled the game today and have added a few custom maps and items with the SUMLauncher and it is running fine. The program doesn't really change anything about the game anyway. It just adds custom files and alters the main menu a bit.

The first thing you should try is go into your documents, locate the WOlfire folder in there and delete the Data folder in there. That's the game's cache. It's kind of a stab in the dark, but maybe it fixes it.
If that doesn't work try to completely uninstall the game, then do a fresh installation and see if it runs like that. Then, use the SUMLauncher again and see if your issue returns. Checking it that way could limit the possibilities at least somewhat.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:42 am

I can't really add anything on what EPR said, but I'd like to explain what cache is.

Cache is where the game saves temporary files so levels load faster and the game starts faster. Also some of the setting you have changed might be saved in there. If something in those files has been corrupted and is causing a problem, deleting the cache and letting the game generate a new cache might help.

Ubis_Anubis

Post by Ubis_Anubis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:06 pm

i have reinstalled the game and there is no change, when the game starts all i get is a blackscreen

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:17 pm

Ubis_Anubis wrote:i have reinstalled the game and there is no change, when the game starts all i get is a blackscreen
like Endo said try deleting your cache.

Ubis_Anubis

Post by Ubis_Anubis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:28 pm

i did try that and then i completely reinstalled the game, no results for either

Ubis_Anubis

Post by Ubis_Anubis » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:14 pm

Edit: i have figured out what the problem was, i had changed settings in the config with sumlauncher and because of that the game wouldn't launch (tanks akazi lelele)

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:34 pm

Ubis_Anubis wrote:Edit: i have figured out what the problem was, i had changed settings in the config with sumlauncher and because of that the game wouldn't launch (tanks akazi lelele)
What setting specifically?
Were the shaders deactivated?

Knowing that could potentially help us to help others with similar issues in the future?

Ubis_Anubis

Post by Ubis_Anubis » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Quite honestly, I was excited to have resolved the problem, so I didn't really take a look at what specifically I had changed, I know however that I did change anti aliasing which may have done something. I also know that I didn't do anything with the shaders so that was probably not my issue.

if I were to say anything, it would be "don't screw around with config in sum launcher unless you know that you're doing." sorry i don't have specifics, but if i find another issue i'll make sure to take that stuff down. thanks guys for all the help!

(edit) if you need me to test and see what went wrong by changing the settings again i will certainly do so!

kiddk5180

Post by kiddk5180 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:49 pm

i cant even access sandbox or my mods
Attachments
overgrowth problem.png

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:19 pm

kiddk5180 wrote:i cant even access sandbox or my mods
You're replying to a post from "Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:38 pm"

This is definitely not the same problem the OP has. Please create a new thread to describe your new problem.

In this case, to open your levels, click "File -> Open Level".
To open the sandbox levels, click "File -> Open Level -> Levels/Project60/<something>.xml"

peter007

Post by peter007 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:31 am

I'm experiencing the same problem.....but i can't fix it.Any help??

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:46 am

peter007 wrote:I'm experiencing the same problem.....but i can't fix it.Any help??
Please email [email protected] and attach your logfile and hwreport.txt - here's instructions on how to find those files: http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/How_T ... Overgrowth