Fan segestions for Future Wolfire Projects

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products

What kind of games do you Prefer to play over all in list?

FPS (First person shooter) (Doom, Half Life)
28%
RTS (Real time Strategy) (Command and Conquer, Age of Empires)
12%
RPG (Role Playing games) (Zelda, Diablo)
16%
Arcade (Lighting Shadow, Jets'n'guns)
No votes
Action (Lugaru, Tomb Raider)
36%
Other (new Ideas? please share)
8%

Total votes: 25

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sun May 25, 2008 12:42 am

You call up Wetta workshop, and get Peter Jackson to make a Movie.

Movie... I got it.
David, Do you feel like making a nonprofit short movie to show liquid physics of your game? yes or no, If yes, Ill email you my Idea. If no (and Please State No) Ill respect that.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Sun May 25, 2008 3:48 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:
marmorek wrote:I'd love to see a game based on all of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. It would be the most epic game ever created. Ever.
I concur. It is my favourite novel series ever made, even preferred to Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

However, I had the conversation before with someone about how hard it would be to translate the magic of the novels to a computer screen or a cinema screen.
I think it could be possible, you'd just need the right people to do it. Stephen King himself would have to be a major contributor.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun May 25, 2008 2:42 pm

Lol Peter Jackson's adaptation of the LOTR movies were a success because they were on such a grand scale that many proportioned to being epic. I liked the films, but the scale everything was done on was so impressive that it would have been hard to make an unwatchable movie with the budget they had. Even Uwe Boll could make a good movie with a big enough budget...or could he?

Anyway, yeah, Stephen King would definitely have to be a huge contributor to the project. I mean, his novels have been adapted to make some of the best films of our time, e.g. Carrie, The Green Mile, The Shining, It, but I think the Dark Tower series would be a bit more difficult to pull off than these were. They were smaller setting-type novels, and didn't span as many locations and time periods. I'd love to be proved wrong, however.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sun May 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Lol Peter Jackson's adaptation of the LOTR movies were a success because they were on such a grand scale that many proportioned to being epic. I liked the films, but the scale everything was done on was so impressive that it would have been hard to make an unwatchable movie with the budget they had. Even Uwe Boll could make a good movie with a big enough budget...or could he?

Anyway, yeah, Stephen King would definitely have to be a huge contributor to the project. I mean, his novels have been adapted to make some of the best films of our time, e.g. Carrie, The Green Mile, The Shining, It, but I think the Dark Tower series would be a bit more difficult to pull off than these were. They were smaller setting-type novels, and didn't span as many locations and time periods. I'd love to be proved wrong, however.
Ehh, the budget helped, but directors can make movies that are complete trash even with huge budgets. Miami Vice, The War of the Worlds, the list goes on.

I think the Lord of the Rings movies are so good because of Peter Jackson's directing ability more than anything else.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun May 25, 2008 4:17 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Lol Peter Jackson's adaptation of the LOTR movies were a success because they were on such a grand scale that many proportioned to being epic. I liked the films, but the scale everything was done on was so impressive that it would have been hard to make an unwatchable movie with the budget they had. Even Uwe Boll could make a good movie with a big enough budget...or could he?
There are a number of counter-examples I can think of: Battlefield Earth, Star Wars 1-3, Matrix 2-3, Narnia, Timeline, and The Alamo are all epic, huge-budget movies that were mediocre at best.

Oops, beaten by wormguy :)

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sun May 25, 2008 5:13 pm

I heard Uwe Boll did make one half decent movies, Blackwoods, and Heart of America. However, I have not seen ether yet it, and cant really state its Crap rubbish or Anal seepage. from what I am told of him, I think he should stay away from the games and such.

I think he has a Slimy dog fetish... :?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun May 25, 2008 6:38 pm

Anyway, my point is I think that without the budget the LOTR series of films wouldn't have been very good at all. The LOTR series have such compelling stories that people would have eaten it up no matter who directed it.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun May 25, 2008 10:34 pm

David wrote:I am going to write the story for L2, and you can let me know if you like it or not :) The L1 story is a pretty standard revenge story, and I think it holds up decently compared to most action games (i.e. it has a storyline with distinct characters, and it is not ridiculously awful). However, I think I can do a much better job in L2. I went through four more years of school, wrote a few hundred pages for various classes, and took a few drama classes. I guess we'll find out if that helps!
I trust David to write the story for L2 way more than a writer. Most writers don't know how to write games. John Woo is an amazing writer and director but look at Stranglehold, it was so retarded. Really cheesy and annoying dialogue, extremely dull "rescue the princess" story that held no interest for me whatsoever, it was written like a movie instead of a game.
Lugaru 1 had a better story and better dialogue because it was written as a game. Both the story and the game play felt like they went hand in hand with each other. It was like reading a book or watching a movie, except you were playing the book and playing the movie.
The bosses felt like distinct bosses you should be killing, the weapons felt like they held real power over enemies, the alpha wolf acknowledges your sword and people eventually come to realize you are better than them, just the way you get your sword and knife and the way you earn back your leather armor made it more in touch with the story it made the weapons feel really important to use and as part of the story, like you are conitnually playing the actual story, not watching a cut scene and then killing random enemies with their random weapons until you reach your next cut scene. I can't explain it very well. Like in Lugaru you go to the scene where you encounter a bunch of rabbits who are wielding swords and staffs, they tell you it's futile to attack the wolves despite their weapons, but then you kill them and now you have a sword, you go to the wolves' den and then because you have a sword and all the wolves are unarmed you easily kill them all, this made the sword have a lot of weight behind it in terms of the story and what you were actually playing. Take Gears of War, or most any game, you're going though the tunnels battling locusts, then you randomly find this grenade launcher bow that instant kills all enemies, and now one in 3 enemies is wielding it, thing is coming out of nowhere. And nobody notices this, like there is absolutely nothing in the story that relates to you finding this god weapon, none of your allies take notice, and you don't even take notice or react like holy shit when you pick it up, the enemies don't care that you have it, you just start killing them all. It's a completely uninspiring weapon and yet in terms of game play it is extremely important to the character, the best weapon you will ever find.
David would have known what to do with that weapon, but most writers that write scripts and short stories don't know how to translate them to game. In the Mercenaries game, they hired this writer to write the story, like it came out of a Tom Clancy book it may have been interesting as a snippet in a book but for a game that story was boring as hell, it held no meaning to the player and basically died down to kill 4 bosses that have to do with a deck of cards and win game. Story had no effect at all on the game, and it was very boring to pay attention to. Then in Mercenaries 2 they hire another writer to write a story but then the technical director reads it, sees it is crap and throws it away and writes a new story. I'm not convinced that hiring a writer can magically make the story compelling. I think the ones who design the game and make the story themselves are where the best stories are made like in Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear series. Writers may be good to have I guess, but I think especially in David's case they are not needed to make a good story. David wrote a good story for Lugaru, it holds it's own against many commercial games and I think he can make a much better one in Lugaru 2.

marmorek

Another super-random suggestion

Post by marmorek » Mon May 26, 2008 12:47 am

Okay, how about this:

An urban crime game, à la GTA, only it's set in the future! The city would be like New York in The Fifth Element, or Coruscant in Star Wars. Aerial car chases for the win!

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Mon May 26, 2008 1:07 am

Ok... *looses cops in fog of lower parts of the city like in 5th element*
I rule! Now to go hold up another shop!

FPS seems to be the popular way to go.
Ever since the dawn of man, and big guns, men have seeked the need of big guns.

friday

Post by friday » Mon May 26, 2008 6:53 pm

Zantalos wrote:
David wrote:I am going to write the story for L2, and you can let me know if you like it or not :) The L1 story is a pretty standard revenge story, and I think it holds up decently compared to most action games (i.e. it has a storyline with distinct characters, and it is not ridiculously awful) However, I think I can do a much better job in L2. I went through four more years of school, wrote a few hundred pages for various classes, and took a few drama classes. I guess we'll find out if that helps!
I trust David to write the story for L2 way more than a writer. Most writers don't know how to write games. John Woo is an amazing writer and director but look at Stranglehold, it was so retarded. Really cheesy and annoying dialogue, extremely dull "rescue the princess" story that held no interest for me whatsoever, it was written like a movie instead of a game.
Lugaru 1 had a better story and better dialogue because it was written as a game. Both the story and the game play felt like they went hand in hand with each other. It was like reading a book or watching a movie, except you were playing the book and playing the......
yadda yadda yadda yadda yadaa
.....wrote a good story for Lugaru, it holds it's own against many commercial games and I think he can make a much better one in Lugaru 2.
Remember sometimes less is more

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Mon May 26, 2008 10:06 pm

Zantalos wrote:
David wrote:I am going to write the story for L2, and you can let me know if you like it or not :) The L1 story is a pretty standard revenge story, and I think it holds up decently compared to most action games (i.e. it has a storyline with distinct characters, and it is not ridiculously awful). However, I think I can do a much better job in L2. I went through four more years of school, wrote a few hundred pages for various classes, and took a few drama classes. I guess we'll find out if that helps!
Lugaru 1 had a better story and better dialogue because it was written as a game. Both the story and the game play felt like they went hand in hand with each other. It was like reading a book or watching a movie, except you were playing the book and playing the movie.
Clearly you have never seen a John Woo movie because the charm of his most famous movies are the great action, campy dialogue and simple stories. I thought Stranglehold captured that perfectly.

There is no such thing as writing as if for a movie instead of a game. Honestly, what's the difference? If anything, most movies are written better than 90% of games. I think games have a lot to learn from movies as far as storytelling goes.

Stop trying to defend Lugaru 1's story as though it were something to be praised. Lugaru is an action game and the story was obviously meant to act as a backdrop for the action, as it is with most action games. It is not complex, nor is it particularly compelling. If anything it followed the traditional RPG beginning: hero is lured away from village, hero returns to find village destroyed, hero sets out to SAAAAAAAAAVE THE WOOOOOOORLD. But I do not judge Lugaru by its storyline, but its gameplay.

If David thinks he can write a better, more compelling story for Lugaru 2, more power to him, but I'll be waiting to see how it plays more than anything else.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon May 26, 2008 11:39 pm

Enough bashing the Lugaru story. Yes it is a revenge story with only a few twists. However, it integrates well with the gameplay and is not too pretentious or ridiculous, a common combination in other action games. In L2 I will spend more time working on the story and setting, and try to provide more depth for those who are interested in exploring it, without forcing it on those who are not. I don't know if there is much more to say about this until L2 is released.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue May 27, 2008 12:20 am

I wouldn't call it a bad story at all. It's just not brilliant. Well, big deal. That's not a dealbreaker.

I hope I didn't say so before, that would be weird right now. Uh oh :?

No I didn't, phew.
I said putting more substance into the story would be something that would elevate your game(s) to a new level.

But that's just me.

Sorry for bringing the discussion off-topic :( And don't let the internet get to you ;)

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Tue May 27, 2008 12:24 am

Yes guys, enough with it, enough with the Bible bashing!
hmm, bible... lugaru, bash, bible... I just got a Nugget of an Idea for an idea that will lead to an even greater apocalyptic idea!
hmm... Lugaru Bible anyone?
The New Lugaru Expansion!

Now, back to Davids potential games.
We need to make a new Black Shades game!
With chainsaws to accompany Zombi slaying, and more missions.

How funny would it be if you VIP went to a Restaurant and assassin's were sitting at tables. They do all sorts of things like Try to drive though the Front window, fire at him from a roof top, fired poisoned darts at him from far tables, plant bombs in his car, or a waiter offers him a Castro cigar (BOOM!) and hes doing everything he can to have a peaceful evening with his wife (2 VIP's!) and your bussy tackling them off there chairs and firing at snipers and stuff.

I think it would be funny if the VIPs said stuff.
Thinking of a Voice actor? I'm good with my voice. (A Hell of allot better with it than my spelling.)