The Community- Negativity Irc chat +more

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
huey

The Community- Negativity Irc chat +more

Post by huey » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:34 am

Hello!
My name is Hugo a.k.a Huey
You may remember me if your a long time Overgrowth fan, some of my art was showcased when i was around 10 on the main feed! anyway. Today I want to talk about this community. Wolfire, Reciever, Overgrowth what ever. If you're here I presume you love Wolfire and its games, I know I do. However sadly when I go down and read the comments on some of the latests updates on Og, all I mainly see (not all) is negativity. Comments such as "this team is useless' or "This will never get finished, waste of money".
Constructive criticism if fine, but I don't think that is! I think more people need to be aware of the current situation that Wolfire's in. Now to get people aware, I would normally recommend OG weekly. But I don't know if this is just me but, I rarely watch the whole thing. Usually because A. I cannot get questions answered on the spot or I miss It and B.Theres not really any fan interaction going on there. We simply watch and get bored/ skip to the bits we care about. Now adding on to that. We have the Wolfire IRC Channel, which could potential be a great tool. But its mostly empty and there's no staff there to answer our questions. I was thinking maybe we could have a weekly QnA aside from OG weekly were the staff set a time and they could join the IRC? Idk just ideas but I think we can all benefit from having more interaction with the Wolfire team. Back to OG weekly, even a post prior to the show (not on the ogweekly.com) to tell us that when its on, would definitely help.
I dont know. This may all sound like bullocks to you guys.
But please comment suggestions etc
Because I think our community is great, but it can be allot better.
Thanks for your time
Hugo a.k.a Huey

EPR89

Re: The Community- Negativity Irc chat +more

Post by EPR89 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:54 am

Most of that negativity seems to be on Steam. And if the people over there have proven one thing so far, it's that they are either not interested or for some reason not able to look up information about the game, even if t is posted there again and again or even in pinned topics. The community thee doesn't seem to understand what Early Access actually is.

There have been multiple attempts to summarize the Q&A sessions in text form. I have started a thread over on Steam (that I can't update as often as I'd like to), rodeje has a thread here and the team is now starting to add summaries to the video descriptions.

I think in order to make your idea happen, they would need something like a community manager. The idea itself is interesting, but I doubt it would reach the people who would need that sort of interaction. I mean, they have trouble reading instructions to join the SPF forum...

huey

Post by huey » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:06 am

Hmm interesting. I havent checked out the steam discussions about Og. But thanks for your Feed back :)

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:14 am

I agree with EPR. A lot of people just want the food to be chewed for them (wich sounds gross to me) and that's something we don't and won't do. Some people just have to grow up and figure out some problems on their own. We just place the information in a place that's easy to find and still people don't see it.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:24 am

I don't really have a problem with chewing the food for them (let's face it, not all the information is easily accessible).

What I do have a problem with is hungry people screaming for food, but not looking for it. And when you give it to them they say that they won't eat it because it isn't gluten-free, organic and at the same time sold below the initial buyer's price.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:57 am

EPR89 wrote:I don't really have a problem with chewing the food for them (let's face it, not all the information is easily accessible).
so we should place big banners on the side of the website with EVERY BIT OF INFORMATION YOU NEED ABOUT OVERGROWTH AND WOLFIRE. CLICK HERE BEFORE YOU START MAKING COMPLAINT TOPICS
..... on a second thought i don't think that's a bad idea :P
EPR wrote: What I do have a problem with is hungry people screaming for food, but not looking for it. And when you give it to them they say that they won't eat it because it isn't gluten-free, organic and at the same time sold below the initial buyer's price.
that's an unsolvable problem with humanity and i really just want to put people in a bag and throw them in a volcano and watch them explode before they even fall into the lava (because physics).
so i really get what you mean.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:36 pm

In OGW we try to keep an eye on the chat and answer any questions that come up. And in recent OGWs there is a written summary of the episode for those who do not want to watch it.

huey

Post by huey » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Silverfish wrote:In OGW we try to keep an eye on the chat and answer any questions that come up. And in recent OGWs there is a written summary of the episode for those who do not want to watch it.
Just something I thought of. Could we have maybe the Og weekly countdown on the main Wolfire page? with a big button saying "ask us questions" that will link the user to the questions blog. This could help with people who are maybe just visiting, so the qna is open to everyone. Not just people who sit in the message boards??

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:42 pm

huey wrote: Just something I thought of. Could we have maybe the Og weekly countdown on the main Wolfire page? with a big button saying "ask us questions" that will link the user to the questions blog. This could help with people who are maybe just visiting, so the qna is open to everyone. Not just people who sit in the message boards??

This is actually... a great fucking idea.

huey

Post by huey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:11 pm

underthedeep wrote:
huey wrote: Just something I thought of. Could we have maybe the Og weekly countdown on the main Wolfire page? with a big button saying "ask us questions" that will link the user to the questions blog. This could help with people who are maybe just visiting, so the qna is open to everyone. Not just people who sit in the message boards??

This is actually... a great fucking idea.
:D :D :D :D

huey

Post by huey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:36 pm

Heres a rough (really rough) concept of what I was thinking would look great on the home page..Image
upload a gif

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:52 pm

It looks good but keep the blog and the IRC.

huey

Post by huey » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:07 am

rodeje25 wrote:It looks good but keep the blog and the IRC.
I agree with keeping the blog, but why the IRC ? No ones every on it.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:10 am

huey wrote:
Oh there are people on it and it's a mich better communicatiob system than pming eachother all the time.

Surak

Post by Surak » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:18 am

huey wrote:
There is more than enough conversation in the IRC channel. Just not constant conversation, because of different time zones, actual life and stuff like that. If you write something interesting most of the time people will answer after minutes to hours. If you just write "hi, what's going on?" or something mundane like that most people will just ignore it, because a lot of us are in dozens of channels. It would take a lot of time to read everything or worse, reply to everything. The IRC client is in the background most of the time and sometimes we glimpse at it to see if something interesting was said 8) That's how IRC works.