Overgrowth on Wikipedia

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Zantalos
The Postman

Re: Overgrowth on Wikipedia

Post by Zantalos » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:16 pm

rudel_ic wrote:
Zantalos wrote: Jeez so much controversy about creating a Wikipedia page. What is the problem here. "Oh this is obviously a tactic by Wolfire games to promote their game :evil: ", what an asshole, what an asshole thing to say, who cares! Why are you accusing them of all this crap.
You are naive to think stuff like this wouldn't happen every day. And I care. That's why I am thankful that Jeff stated it wouldn't be a tactic.
Why do you say it is an asshole thing to say, but state at the same time nobody cares? You're not thinking straight. Make up your mind.
Wow okay, since that was really hard for you to understand let me put it into simpler words. When somebody says 'nobody cares,' alright? That doesn't mean nobody cares you're an asshole, ok? Clearly we care about you being an asshole otherwise ren wouldn't tell you to feck off. Aaaaanyways, it means that nobody cares that Wolfire Games wants to promote their game. Who doesn't want to promote their game? What if it's a tactic, what if it's not? Is it such a big deal you're going to throw a nitpick unless Jeff says it's not a tactic?

Now I don't even have to bother reading the rest of your post at this point to know it's just a bunch of "wah wah wah sob sob! You guys, this is totally not cool to make a Wikipedia page right now wahhhh! I simply refuse to take part in helping this article! Let me write post after post telling everyone how much I hate this free user created Wikipedia page."

Bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with having a Wikipedia page on overgrowth right now. And you're not going to delete the page, well ok I guess that makes you Wolfire's number one fan, thanks for being so supportive. I know it's asking too much if you could just shut up, so I'm just going to ignore whatever you post from this point out. It's your own opinion that this Wikipedia page is nonsense and that you're not going to help, and if that's all you're going to say post after post, how much this is nonsense and that you're not going to help, I really have no reason to listen to it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:22 pm

rudel_ic wrote:You could as well say fuck. There is really no difference at this point.
There's a huge difference, actually. How would you know anyway? That's a load of bollocks. Feck off.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:34 pm

What's with all the hostility? You're all acting as if I had committed a federal offense by speaking frankly.

Fact is I've been a productive member of this community for years and I'm constantly getting shit thrown in my general direction when I'm honest. This antisocial behavior is just not right.

I've explained fully why I think what I think, I'm entitled to my opinion and you should respect that.
I don't hate the article or whatever it is you're thinking. And I'm not an asshole for not participating or telling you my opinion. What is your contribution to society?

Renegade_Turner: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feck

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:38 pm

Rudel, it's because these are the Wolfire forums and you accused Overgrowth of being insignificant. That's all. It's slightly more complicated than that, but that's how you came off.

It doesn't take a marketing expert to predict what kind of response you're going to get from the forums.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:34 pm

Inside of these forums, there isn't anything remotely as significant as Overgrowth. There is no debate about that.
Worldwide, taking everything there is on the internet concerning coverage of current games et cetera, there simply is just the announcement, the engine features and the artwork, redundantly posted over various sites.

Saying that can't be considered offensive or anything like that. It's the simple truth. And that amount of info about the game seems completely cool and reasonable to me at this point. But at the same time, it is not much.

As I see it, there is absolutely nothing that could generate such a response from saying all that. I mean no harm at all. It's simply a bunch of facts.

It's irrational and borderline insane to call me an asshole, to tell me to gtfo or to call me an idiot for posting the truth.

I can see now I'm not supposed to post such things. So don't expect anything in that fashion coming from me again.

But don't expect these forums to get out of the treadmill it is in either if that's how you're acting.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:02 pm

rudel_ic wrote:It's irrational and borderline insane to call me an asshole, to tell me to gtfo or to call me an idiot for posting the truth.
I agree with this; I think we need to avoid insults when discussing things.

However, given those facts, I disagree with the conclusion. I think there are some ethical issues with exploiting wikipedia just for shameless self-promotion, but that is not what we are trying to do. Most companies just write their own wiki page for that exact reason, but we are going out of our way to encourage you guys to do that instead, and to use proper external sources and official blog posts. There are a lot of pages on wikipedia about parkour games, indie games, procedural animation, and things like that that would be incomplete without a link to Wolfire and Overgrowth, so it is worth having an entry for it.

What would be unethical is if we write positive things that are not true, or remove negative things that are true, but we are not going to do anything like that.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:28 am

Right then. David's finally put an end to the impious madness.
Now could we pleeeaaase get on with completing the wiki? =3

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:24 am

I laid out the basic information. The features section needs to be actually written, pictures added, etc, but at least now the actual text is longer than the tags. :P

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:59 am

rudel_ic wrote:It's irrational and borderline insane to call me an asshole, to tell me to gtfo or to call me an idiot for posting the truth.
Not in relation to what I said. I was perfectly correct to tell you what you said was a load of bollocks when you made the comment about me saying "feck".

Just saying.

You're nice and we all like you.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Let the flames die now ;)

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:51 pm

Wow, awesome article! Thanks Silb and Zantalos!

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:21 am

I added the video game infobox that you see in the top right corner.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:48 am

Now that we've done this, we really should update the Wolfire wiki.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:33 am

We too must also Make a Parody of Overgrowth on Uncyclopedia :wink:

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:52 am

Turner, the shoopin' woopin' Cap'n Falcon-eating machine...