Fan Art

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
WallyWorld

Re: Fan Art

Post by WallyWorld » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:58 am

I've been messing around with some fur stuff while trying to teach myself how to work digitally. I haven't finished anything with it just yet, but have been using this quick guide as at least something to work from. There is also a guest blog post here on Wolfire that has another way of doing it, which should be easy to find if you look in the art section and go back a few posts.

http://kittmaster.deviantart.com/art/Re ... -129423097

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:41 am

It's not that difficult to make fur in Photoshop. You just need a brush like the one in your example, the one with a couple of pixel-dots in it. After that, it's just a matter of working on it more.

This is my first or second try on it:

That took perhaps 20 minutes, all in all. I used dual-color brush with different values for the two colors, and swapped them with 'x', to see what kind of effects I can get with different levels of opacity, light colors, darker colors, a light and a dark color etc etc.
Photoshop brushes are very, very powerful. Everyone who seriously uses the program should learn the basics of making new ones, and how to edit existing ones.

Xtrinsic

Post by Xtrinsic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks alot for the info! :D

We've handled editing and making brushes for Photoshop in class already, I thought there might have been a special technique involving the smudge tool or something, but as with anything, I suppose there are thousands of different ways to do it :). Thanks alot for the advice though, I'll give it a shot!

huey

Post by huey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:50 am

cool art im doing a art 1 to but im not going to copy :D

Kilagain

Post by Kilagain » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:34 pm

Made this in my spare time :)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:03 am

Nice! Is that made in pencil?

That's great shading. The sky is fantastic, and the rocks and forms are great. I like the subtle highlight in the object on front-left. The ground and grass are also very good.

The birds could have used a bit more detail. They add a lot to the sky, having points of interest like that makes it work even better, and having them in the lighter part of the sky works even better. Still, I feel like the birds could have been a bit more detailed... Wow, I just found a cool reference for drawing birds in flight: http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free- ... age5883968 :o

I also think there could be some more contrast to the bushes, a darker line, or perhaps a sharper one. However, I really suck at shading (and drawing in general, too :oops:), so I don't know if that would improve them or not... I've never made anything with shading coming anywhere near the detail you have there. I'm a bit jealous about that sky, it's really good. I might have to try doing something like that.

Kilagain

Post by Kilagain » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:40 am

Thanks! I wasn't too happy with the birds as well, but those references will help :D
I might throw it into photoshop to re-do the birds (God- bless you content aware filter) and adjust the contrast of the image.

clouds

Post by clouds » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:42 pm

nice art work.. :)

is that a rat, a rabbit and a hawk? .

you've got nice idea on combining the three species. :)
how creative of you.. that is for a game right?
what would you name it then?

For sure many had liked your idea..
:)

-- Identified as a Spammer/Advertiser.
-- Post locked from further editing.
-- User & IP Banned.

// Freshbite

Ylvali

Post by Ylvali » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:37 am

Kilagain wrote: Made this in my spare time :)
Awesome!

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:00 am

That's really good, and if that's the kind of awesomness you kick out in your spare time, what kind of awesomness do you kick out when you really mean it?!

WallyWorld

Post by WallyWorld » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:00 am

Quick thing I made as part of my work to get used to using a Wacom tablet. Not the most exciting thing ever, but I plan on doing some more action based pose stuff in the future while I work on my figure drawing in general.

Haven't quite learned how to do the coloring just yet, and still experimenting with everything else, but it was nice to make something Overgrowthy.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/ ... itTest.jpg

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:23 pm

The ears are quite small, but otherwise that's a really nice rabbit. I like the shape and shading in that one, very smooth.

jenniferhoops

Post by jenniferhoops » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:59 am

resin wrote:Aubrey's concept work inspired me to do a picture of my own. I love this setting, can't wait for the game to come out.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll22 ... kmount.jpg
Nice picture.

-- Identified as a Spammer/Advertiser.
-- Post locked from further editing.
-- User & IP Banned.

// Freshbite

WallyWorld

Post by WallyWorld » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:22 am

Endoperez wrote:The ears are quite small, but otherwise that's a really nice rabbit. I like the shape and shading in that one, very smooth.
Thank you. I had noticed the ears were a bit on small side but didn't want to spend a huge amount of time making small fixes over and over while I am still learning how to make this stuff digitally.

My natural drawing style is more along the lines of realistic rendering with graphite than being painterly so it's been interesting playing around with the different tools and shading methods you can use when working digitally.

ThanatosBraeden

Post by ThanatosBraeden » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:28 am

Something I ended up drawing whilst working on other stuff >.<
There are things wrong with it but I thought you guys might like it.