Fan Art

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Korban3

Re: Fan Art

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:06 am

This isn't mine, but I found this and felt that the artist really really deserves some special mention.
Because it is so fucking awesome.

Source

akazi

Post by akazi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:46 am

That is a keeper. :shock:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:10 am

Korban3 wrote:This isn't mine, but I found this and felt that the artist really really deserves some special mention.

Source

It took me a while ( I haven't played much Receiver), butthat is awesome. The shading is a bit poor, but the concept is amazing.

Saedz

Post by Saedz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:30 am

Codename R4bb07 from Overgrowth: revengeance

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:13 am

nice! I love your rabbot design!

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:25 am

Korban3 wrote:Beep
Woah.
Unexpected.
Applause.
Saedz wrote:Boop
Sweeeet.

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:30 pm

Korban3 wrote:This isn't mine, but I found this and felt that the artist really really deserves some special mention.

Source
Best explanation for a lack of hand models in the game.

Phizzlygames

Post by Phizzlygames » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:29 pm

I've added on to my recent fan art!

I'm making it into turner.
Attachments
BfGmc6QCcAACumC.jpg

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:29 pm

My new piece of art!

Edit: Wow, I can't believe that I thought that this was good...
Last edited by renamedperson on Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:18 pm

My new picture. This is a joke. You will get it if you are on omegajam streams, or Aubrey's twitch

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:24 am

Hey Phizzlygames and Daxtart, it's really cool that you're posting all this stuff in here! I'm studying art, drawing, 3D and related stuff, and I usually offer feedback and critique in this thread. You guys have lots to learn, so I've been worried about overwhelming or drive you off, and I don't want to do that.

Would either of you be interested in receiving critique and tips on how to improve? How much, how harsh? There's nothing wrong in drawing just for fun, either, and as I said, I don't want to ruin this for you. :D

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:00 pm

I've read the whole thread, so I am aware of your critique skills :P Sure, any feed back is welcome, especially some that helps me get better :)

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:36 pm

Actually same here, if possible, risking to be a ball-breaker I would like a feedback too. Blunt and open.
Any criticism is a starting point to get better.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:10 pm

Okay. I'll start off with a quick note - I can't draw characters. :D I've got better general background in drawing, but I haven't practised anatomy and stuff enough to give direct advice on that.

Sehiro, you're doing very, very simple stuff at the moment. It's all silhouettes, looking almost like an Egyptian hieroglyph. You can make it look like a really cool hieroglyph, but it will be very flat. You want to practice drawing things from different angles. It might be hard, so you have to draw many of them before they start looking OK. So draw simple! Stick figures in interesting poses are enough. You can invent them, or look for reference from movies or photos or comic books. If you want to draw more details on a really well posed stick figure, draw balls into all the joints, then connect the balls. They'll end up looking like cylinders, usually. Don't worry about getting it exactly right, just have fun drawing cool poses.
[+] StickmanPoses

Daxtart, you could work on the shading. You use a pencil and an even tone, and just make the character an evenly dark gray (your rabbit in this page). It also makes the character look very flat. On the dog vs cat image, it seems like you used something to spread the pencil around a bit, to get a blurry thing in there. In both cases, you are just adding some gray into the image without thinking about light direction. Just having a dark side and a light side would help a lot. Here's a quick edit.
simple shading.jpg
simple shading.jpg (54.94 KiB) Viewed 9734 times
You should decide what direction light is coming from. Every surface that directly faces the light, you can shade first, with a very light gray value. Then all other areas should be darker than that. Next put in the darkest parts, all the surfaces facing away from the light direction. Once those two are in, you know that everything that you haven't shaded yet should have a grayscale value between those light and dark areas. If you want to finger rub it, those three areas should still be visible, even though they mix together, but it should still be clear which is the light, the dark and the mid-value area.
[+] Shading

You can start out with just a few shades. All the bright areas can be one value, all the darks another, and all the mid-areas a third. It's a good excercise, and works well for many things. To draw something very dark, use a gray (instead of white) value even for the lightest area. To draw something very light, use a gray value even for the darkest area. The midtones should be adjusted to be in between the lightest and darkest values, of course.
[+] Values

Since there aren't enough names for "white", "still kinda white" "very very light gray", "kinda dark grey that's not black yet", "black" and so on, you can name them after numbers: 1 is white, 10 is as black as your pencil can go. It doesn't matter if you're using them accurately - giving a name to a color makes it easier for you to think about it and to recognize it, and that's enough.

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:12 pm

Thank you! This helps a lot! I will probably make another today, and attach it to this post :D

Here it is. Lugaru Ancestral tales. I liked this campaign so I why not make this picture.
Warning: this is not a detailed drawing! It was made for shading purposes only! The shading sucks still, because I can't do any art with a mouse xD

Edit: I went back for five minutes, and brought my sketch up to where I was satisfied, and now I think it looks ok...
EDIT: I hated these drawings so I deleted them! YAY!
Last edited by renamedperson on Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.