Fan Art

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Kestril

Re: Fan Art

Post by Kestril » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:05 pm

@ ozzy:
The image was stylized, instead of going for realism, making a character appear not human like, but portray human qualities, makes the character more likable as a whole. This is refereed to as the uncanny valley:

the wolfire team, especially AUBREY, IS taking steps to stylize there characters, in this case, A rat. however, a NINJA RABBIT, might require more stylization.

I think it looks okay, and the perfectly human Aubrey does too. No one is threatening me as I type this, and if aubrey was a ninja rabbit, he'd fall into the bottom part of the valley. :wink:

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:10 pm

didn't David choose anthropomorphic animals to avoid the uncanny valley because we have no preconceptions on what they should look like?

Kestril

Post by Kestril » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Yup.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:50 pm

Okay I guess I could put it this way. The 'style' he chose for the rat doesn't make him look like he belongs in overgrowth... *shrug*

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:06 pm

Considering that it's a deliberately stylised piece of fanart I don't think it's supposed to.

Just because he is taking content from one thing doesn't mean he has to present it in the same way as that thing.

Hence why some fanfictions still retell the stories they are fanfictions of.

Kestril

Post by Kestril » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Oh, yeah, I still need to update that, don't I? I'll get to it, I suppose. School's pickin' up, and I just haven't felt like it in awhile, althoug listening to the O.G. main theme does seem inspire to a certain extent . I suppose it's on the backburner for now, but I've gone months without updating before: never fear! I'll not so-quickly get around to it!

Aspen

Post by Aspen » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:01 pm

Aspen wrote:
m3nace wrote:Overgrowth needs bears, huge, brutal, northern viking bears.

-bear image-
I am really enjoying your stylized art. Way to go, m3nance. The rat was also awesome.
Last edited by Aspen on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:53 am

thx for the comments everyone really appreciate it. A couple o' days ago i drew another bear but that wasn't uploaded as i finished it right after i heard that the idea about bears was overruled. Anyways here it is Image
I'm more satisfied with the other bear but it was still fun to make
and if anyone asks, no he's not tracking Turner there's way too much blood for that. Maybe he's tracking the other bear?

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Grizzly was kinda out of shape, but the polar bear looks great.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:23 pm

m3nace wrote:thx for the comments everyone really appreciate it. A couple o' days ago i drew another bear but that wasn't uploaded as i finished it right after i heard that the idea about bears was overruled. Anyways here it is Image
I'm more satisfied with the other bear but it was still fun to make
and if anyone asks, no he's not tracking Turner there's way too much blood for that. Maybe he's tracking the other bear?
That must've been an epic fight against a narwhale-man. :D It's great fan art. Would you mind if someone did recursive fan art (3d model)?

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:57 pm

recursive fan art. That sounds cool
and thx narhwaleman lol

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:19 pm

First thing I thought of was Iorek Byrnison, oddly enough. Needs more armor O: Although, polar bears do have really thick fur, maybe thick enough to deter claws or swords.

bananasch

Post by bananasch » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:29 am

I know this thread's for fanart, but I put together some combat music in the spirit of Lugaru / Overgrowth.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ye6g19

NOTE: The main part of the cue is supposed to be loopable, depending on how long the fight will be. The tremolo strings at the end signifies the end of the battle.

Hope you like it! :twisted:

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:13 pm

nice I do indeed like it, it reminds me a little bit of the first age of empires also, though it's a little short.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:45 am

Drawing by order. Three huskies, one with armour, one with a bow, one with two knives. As requested.
(Click Image for slightly better version.)

So... about six months ago a forum member sent me a private message with a request for a drawing. I was rather busy at the time so I said I would to it in "a couple of weeks". Then someone went and spammed the PMs. Then Wolfire guys responded by completely disabling the private message function. Consequently, I forgot all about the request... until a couple of days ago when I happened to find one of my sketches for it.

Unfortunately I have no way of finding out who requested this. So I'm posting it here in the hope that he/she will spot it.

Enjoy. Try to ignore the anatomical errors.

Reference images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.