Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
LugaruFan

Re: Fan Art

Post by LugaruFan » Mon May 16, 2011 4:08 pm

That's frickin awesome!

Jarwa

Post by Jarwa » Fri May 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Well, I decided to model a rat model for the game. (and possibly for some animations) Is it possible to get the model in game as playable character? I've managed to add few normal objects in game but haven't tried characters yet. Would be nice to know if it's possible before I waste few weeks trying to get it to work and then hear it's not possible yet. :P

Anyway, the model is obviously far from being ready. Gotta do some uvw unwrapping, Zbrushing and rig & skin the character too. And before that I'll probably do some changes to the mesh. There are still some bad edge loops. We'll see how it goes.

I'll send new pics when I get something interesting done.

StoneytheDog

Post by StoneytheDog » Fri May 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Just a little image I through together in an hour for the Frostbite Warriors. Or you could just call them polar bears. That works too. I'm new to drawing with a tablet and I'm 15 so it kind of sucks. Enjoy :D

Btw Jarwa your rat looks really good. You should get someone to texture it for you if you can't do it yourself.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Sat May 21, 2011 4:54 am

Woah Jarwa that is mad awesome! Can't wait to see some more stuff from you.
Also, concerning getting it in as a playable character: yes, that's possible. The OG characters are animated using blender btw.

Jarwa

Post by Jarwa » Sat May 21, 2011 6:10 am

m3nace wrote:Woah Jarwa that is mad awesome! Can't wait to see some more stuff from you.
Also, concerning getting it in as a playable character: yes, that's possible. The OG characters are animated using blender btw.
Thanks. I haven't animated anything in Blender yet. I used to do stuff with 3ds max earlier, but I finally gave up. Should've done that years ago. I can believe they charge ~4000$ for so buggy, slow and crappy software. So, I decided to move to Blender. This is the first character I've made in blender.

I've understood that it's possible to re-use the existing animations on new characters but dunno if it works since there are some differences in the skeleton if compared to rabbits. But maybe I've misunderstood and I have to make my own animations. :P

Has anyone actually added a playable character into the game? Are there any tutorials for that? I think I can handle the blender part of it though.

Black_Stormy

Post by Black_Stormy » Sat May 21, 2011 6:22 am

Getting animations into OG is definitely doable, I've done it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J59zFNSTNIo

That's my quick tut on it, it's got the basics there. The only thing I don't know about is adding a new character, you can replace files, but being able to switch from the default characters to the custom ones eludes me. You'll also need to rig that mesh yourself since the Wolfire rigs are pretty intense and targeted. I was halfway through a custom character when my external decided to strike :?

Nice mesh, by the way.

Jarwa

Post by Jarwa » Sat May 21, 2011 6:45 am

Black_Stormy wrote:Getting animations into OG is definitely doable, I've done it.

That's my quick tut on it, it's got the basics there. The only thing I don't know about is adding a new character, you can replace files, but being able to switch from the default characters to the custom ones eludes me. You'll also need to rig that mesh yourself since the Wolfire rigs are pretty intense and targeted. I was halfway through a custom character when my external decided to strike :?

Nice mesh, by the way.
Thanks. That should be useful when I get that far. :) I thought I have to use the existing rigs and modify them to fit the character but if I can create my own rigs that could make things a bit easier. Any kind of coding makes my head explode though so dunno if I can get the char in game after all. But gotta texture it and rig it for my own projects anyway.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat May 21, 2011 7:42 am

Jarwa wrote:I've understood that it's possible to re-use the existing animations on new characters but dunno if it works since there are some differences in the skeleton if compared to rabbits. But maybe I've misunderstood and I have to make my own animations. :P
The devs have worked on some tech that will allow them to share animations between different skeletons. They'll be making rats too, after all! :D

I haven't played enough with it to know how well it works, but it will probably be in a working state when they add the other races to the game.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat May 21, 2011 10:18 am

Jarwa wrote:
Black_Stormy wrote:Getting animations into OG is definitely doable, I've done it.

Nice mesh, by the way.
Thanks. That should be useful when I get that far. :) I thought I have to use the existing rigs and modify them to fit the character but if I can create my own rigs that could make things a bit easier. Any kind of coding makes my head explode though so dunno if I can get the char in game after all. But gotta texture it and rig it for my own projects anyway.
Although there is not a lot of specific details, you can see how Aubrey used Blender to get a new character into the game... He says it's pretty easy... but it would be cool to hear if that's true from someone in the community...
http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/02/Art-Asset-Overview-5

Jarwa

Post by Jarwa » Sat May 21, 2011 4:37 pm

ariehl wrote:
Jarwa wrote:

Nice mesh, by the way.
Although there is not a lot of specific details, you can see how Aubrey used Blender to get a new character into the game... He says it's pretty easy... but it would be cool to hear if that's true from someone in the community...
http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/02/Art-Asset-Overview-5
Thanks for the link. Yeah it's not too detailed but better than nothing. However I'm sure it's not easy to do, unless you've been involved in the making of the engine from start. :P But I think I'll make my own thread for my character project when I get something new done, since this thread is for fan art after all. :)

deniel777

Post by deniel777 » Sun May 22, 2011 5:50 am

I drew a couple of pictures,i hope so like. I adore this game.What there will be then if it will be ready? I made some wallpapers about overgrowth! Link:
http://www.moddb.com/groups/overgrowth-fans/downloads
Join to the Group!!!
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
overg.jpg

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Sun May 22, 2011 3:46 pm

There good drawings. Keep up the good work.

Flex

Post by Flex » Sun May 22, 2011 4:31 pm

haven't posted something on the form for a GREAT while...
anyway i hope you guys like it

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Mon May 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Nice.

Kingsley

Post by Kingsley » Mon May 23, 2011 4:53 pm

There's a story behind this.
An IRC story.