Fan Art

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Korban3

Re: Fan Art

Post by Korban3 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:43 pm

Stranger wrote: Though be warned, if you're going to do a google image search for "camel feet", be aware of who is in the immediate vacinity of your computer, and whether or not the safesearch feature is on.
Exactly. make sure your significant other, parents, younger siblings, grandparents are there everyone. And be sure to disable safe search beforehand. That always excludes useful images.

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Korban3 wrote:
Stranger wrote: Though be warned, if you're going to do a google image search for "camel feet", be aware of who is in the immediate vacinity of your computer, and whether or not the safesearch feature is on.
Exactly. make sure your significant other, parents, younger siblings, grandparents are there everyone. And be sure to disable safe search beforehand. That always excludes useful images.
My troll sense is tingling...

And, sorry I couldn't edit the text of the Batman image in time, honestly, I messed up some files by accident and I really don't feel like going through the hassle of re-doing and fixing it. =/

Fixed the hooves, I hope. And no, I didn't google that...

confused

Post by confused » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:20 pm

Always late but just in time!
I felt bad for missing OGWeekly last week so i decided to make up for it :roll:
Even though it's not really art i am still a fan, so here is a pain-kicking turner i made with inkscape in a minimalistic wallpaper style.
I wanted to add some comic-like lines to emphasize the kick momentum but i could not nail it.
Also i want to thank you others real artists for posting interesting stuff every week :wink: really impressive and creative stuff!
Attachments
turner-kick.png

King_Pancake

Post by King_Pancake » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Hi.
I saw the "sherat" picture and the first thing i throught was "thats not a rat! thats a mountain goat" so i made this in paint.net
Attachments
goat.png

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:33 pm

King_Pancake wrote:Hi.
I saw the "sherat" picture and the first thing i throught was "thats not a rat! thats a mountain goat" so i made this in paint.net
I actually lol'd when I saw it, because it actually fits as a goat. XD
Now, you forgot the hooves!

And, regarding horsemen, would they have four or two legs? Would they be more like centaurs or minotaurs in Overgrowth?

Edit: Here's introducing a new character... Horsey Horse... Yeah, you asked for it... WIP, I've ALWAYS had trouble drawing horses eyes, I've no idea why. I'll colour this one as well, and fix the camel and color him too, maybe.

Horsey Horse

Bers40k

Post by Bers40k » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:59 am

http://ru.twitch.tv/bers40k/b/300659775

some fun about Turner on sculptris

confused

Post by confused » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:45 pm

haha nice horseman shinygem, you made the best design choice, 4-legged/minotaur style would not fit i guess.
The one thing that distracts me a little is how his legs go from fat/muscular to thin/skinny at those "knees" with the extreme bend. Also the shin should be much longer and not so much pointing down, taking that as a reference: http://www.ansp.org/museum/jefferson/im ... leg-MT.gif
I hope for more horsemen from you :wink:

Also well done Bers40k, i like the proportions and the anatomy, and the grim look in the face! But i don't understand why you fiddled so much with the sharp edgy details on the surface, it does not seem to fit there, is it supposed to be fur ?

Bers40k

Post by Bers40k » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Also well done Bers40k, i like the proportions and the anatomy, and the grim look in the face! But i don't understand why you fiddled so much with the sharp edgy details on the surface, it does not seem to fit there, is it supposed to be fur ?
i try some proportion, and it is not finish. it is first time i sculpt animal figure.

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks for that image Confused, it sure will help me a lot. =)
And, that's an awesome sculpture, I quite liked it, looks like some mean bodybuilder rabbit, ready for some wolf kicking fun. =D

Here's Horsey Horse coloured:

Penaloza1337

Post by Penaloza1337 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:17 pm

Wait, Is there really gunna be a bird/eagle or it's just art? :?

Nice art too!

I found some art! :D

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Penaloza1337 wrote:Wait, Is there really gunna be a bird/eagle or it's just art? :?
No, birds aren't anthropomorphic in the Overgrowth lore, only mammals are, so, no "human" birds, reptiles, amphibians and insects.

Edit:

A Eye Patched Cat, both raw and coloured versions, I'm not sure why, but I like the simplistic, rough, look of the uncoloured version better.

Patchy Cat

hunting dog

Post by hunting dog » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
Poster.jpg

ShinyGem

Post by ShinyGem » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Haha, right! It's the 50th episode, awesome, a calendar! =D

And here's Stony Dog, since dogs have all those stone blunt weapons, they need masons, don't they!?

Stony Dog

P.s: I know my colouring looks like it took a step back this week. =/

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:07 am

Your finished pieces don't have enough contrast, so all the details kind of melt together and the details drown out. Any way, you're doing a great job. You're drawing, coloring and practising. I do that way too little, seemingly much less than you. I know lots of theory, but since I don't practice, if I were to try to do something like your characters here, they might look about the same. Good job! And here's some of that theory:

There's different kinds of contrast.

There's edge contrast, where very sharp, detailed edges are near smoother, less detailed edges. the sharper edge seems to be in focus and jumps out.
there's color contrast, where strong, saturated colors are near darker, less saturated, colors. The more powerful color seems to be closer, although there are exceptions.
There's also contrast between light and dark objects, between areas in shadow and areas in light, conrast between different kinds of light, and more - any two things that are different enough can be used to create contrast, to emphasize something. You don't use all of them in a single picture, but you should use some kind of contrast to bring out the details you think are important. If you use too much contrast, EVERYTHING tries to catch your attention and that doesn't work either. So you usually just use one or two of these tricks to emphasize the important parts.

Black and white line drawings always have some contrast, which is why you might think your colored drawings are worse than the line art.

http://www.webworldarticles.com/artim/c ... ntrast.jpg

Here's a really nice example. The front (foreground) is dark, which is contrasted against the rest of the picture. Inside the dark, there are light areas (but note that they're not white, since white would be too strong next to that black) which makes the shape itself interesting. The foreground has sharp edges around itself, and is surrounded by very smooth and soft gradients on the right.

In the background and on the right, there's a second important shape. It has semidark areas, which are contrasted against very light areas of light. The edges between dark and bright are very sharp, so the form stands out. The are on the right also consists of very long, straight edges, and since they only appear theere, the difference between straight lines and broken lines is also a kind of contrast.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs36/i/2008/ ... ackBag.jpg

The picture about rabbit standing near a fire, by Aubrey, posted earlier this page is also great example of different kinds of contrasts.

I think you're coloring these on the computer. Try using a gray or dark gray background instead of white, especially when doing white-furred characters. If you're doing these on paper, that'd be much harder obviously. :D

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:16 pm

Actually, if you're doing it on paper, I have a fun technique for darkening a whole sheet. be sure to have a good eraser until you get good at it though :P
So what you need to do is pick: Draw the character first and darken afterwards or darken first and draw second. On a computer, you darken first. Not as easy on paper.
So let's assume you draw first. Your character is drawn, viola! Now, break your pencil. Do anything you can to get a centimeter or two of the graphite out whole. Now lay the graphite chunk on the paper so that it colors a swathe when you drag it. Now just fill in where it should be darkened. It helps if you hang on to a really small piece (I like a half centimeter), a medium piece (1 cm, for me) and a large piece for big areas (I like2 - 2.5 cm). It's not the most amazing thing ever, but it gets the job done. Be careful with lineart though. I've overdarkened a couple of times and it just muddies up the drawing. So practice and keep a good eraser around.