Player/AI Technique Gaps

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Fetterkey

Re: Player/AI Technique Gaps

Post by Fetterkey » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:29 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Umm... that's my point... if those are the -only- moves you could do you'd feel pretty inferior...
Right, but for some reason the computer can't do those (rather basic) moves.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:33 pm

The AI really needs to learn how to use the "i" key. That would be hilarious. Either that or be able to sneak around and come up behind you and do an instant kill.

Aleol

Post by Aleol » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:46 pm

There have to be techniques that you can do that Ai can't, and likewise there are moves they can perform that you can't. AI tech is really not that advanced, they are still very smart, and most of those techs are hard to do anyway. For some people, that is.

Fetterkey

Post by Fetterkey » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Aleol wrote:There have to be techniques that you can do that Ai can't, and likewise there are moves they can perform that you can't. AI tech is really not that advanced, they are still very smart, and most of those techs are hard to do anyway. For some people, that is.
What moves can an AI rabbit perform that you can't, and what techniques are "hard to do"? Lugaru has a very intuitive combat system.

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:44 am

I personally have never got the hang of the There's-Eight-Of-Me-At-Once move. I don't know how you'd go about trying to dodge more than one knife throw. Or one at all, if you happen to be countering or attacking, as I sometimes like to do.

I also can't do the Have-Perfect-Reflexes or See-What's-Off-Screen moves. Knife throw and leg cannon are both pretty quick moves. The AI can avoid or counter them because they don't have to worry about reflexes or vision.

Another (admittedly, rather cheap) explanation is that Turner is supposed to be a "crazy fighter bunny."

As for Overgrowth, I personally hope there won't be much more in the way of ranged attacks. The knife only worked for me in Lugaru because it was one shot only and the auto-aim meant it didn't interrupt the flow of gameplay.

Aleol

Post by Aleol » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 am

well, all I know of is one, and that's the standard punch reverse; you punch them, they block and hit you in the neck. and naturally they can reverse your exclusive moves

What I meant was, the moves are difficult to get the hang of and implement in battle properly, wsuch as the wall kick. It's difficult to master, but usually painful for the opposition.

zamzx zik

Post by zamzx zik » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:01 am

The ai _could_ use these moves, they don't, because David didn't make them use them.

Obviously the knife throw would be unfair for the computer to have, as they'd be impossible to dodge. The leg cannon could work, but it'd take a lot of experimenting to keep the computer using it properly.

The wall kick seems to be the easiest of them all(of these three) for the computer to use. I wonder why he didn't add that one in.

Fetterkey

Post by Fetterkey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:26 pm

Groveller wrote:I don't know how you'd go about trying to dodge more than one knife throw. Or one at all, if you happen to be countering or attacking, as I sometimes like to do.
The enemy would not be able to throw knives into the middle of hand-to-hand combat.
zamzx zik wrote:Obviously the knife throw would be unfair for the computer to have, as they'd be impossible to dodge.
Disagree. Computers can dodge or catch knives, so the counter is already implemented. Why wouldn't you be able to do the same? If it's simply an issue of reflexes, the time taken to throw the knife could be slightly increased or the speed of a flying knife could be slightly reduced.

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:41 pm

If the flying knife speed was reduced it would look odd, and AI won't use wallkick because they never do walljumps.

The Knife throw is a bad idea for the AI to have in my opinion, sure you could counter it, but what if you didn't know where the enemy was? Imagine how hard insane mode would be with enemies throwing knives? It would be madness! (No sparta, no sparta please.)

Kestril

Post by Kestril » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:13 pm

invertin wrote:If the flying knife speed was reduced it would look odd, and AI won't use wallkick because they never do walljumps.

The Knife throw is a bad idea for the AI to have in my opinion, sure you could counter it, but what if you didn't know where the enemy was? Imagine how hard insane mode would be with enemies throwing knives? It would be madness! (No sparta, no sparta please.)
Since you asked. . .

Madness?

THIS IS OVERGROWTH!
invertin wrote:If the flying knife speed was reduced it would look odd, and AI won't use wallkick because they never do walljumps.

Meh, just reduce the accuracy of the computers that throw the knives. Problem solved.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:35 am

IMO, if you're stupid enough to leave your back open, you deserve to be backstabbed or having a knife thrown into your skull, that way you'll learn to cover yourself when you're running around.

Seriously, I think it would be awesome if the AI worked in packs and tried to sneak behind you to get that instant kill.