Martial Arts Video References for Overgrowth

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Endoperez

Re: Martial Arts Video References for Overgrowth

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Kangaroos "boxing", 1:09
They have a peculiar way of balancing on top of their tail to kick with both legs. Might work for rats.
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:04 pm

Medieval staff fighting, 0:27
Some hit-counter pairs.

Here are several videos about thrusting swords. I'll use the term "rapier", because it's much better known and I'm not sure of the differences between rapier, dueling sword, smallsword and various others.

Rapier duel, 4:29
Poor quality, fighting starts near 1:50. Originally from "Mark of Zorro", 1940.

1 vs 1 and 4 vs 5 rapier fights, 7:45
Poor quality, fighting starts near 1:50. Originally from "The Three Musketeers", 1948. The last, long fight contains several nice ways to use the environment to your advantage. In the end, the dead man's sword is thrown because the leader broke his against the statue.

Rapier again, 1 vs various, 1:08
Good quality, contains lots of acrobatics and clever use of environment. From "Mask of Zorro".
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:21 am

Dagger disarms, 2:30
High quality video. It has only one "technique", which is used in different situations. Dagger vs dagger disarm, unarmed vs dagger disarm, ending in a stab, a lock or taking the opponent's weapon for yourself, etc.
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:01 pm

Nick "GreenFlame" posted this as a reply to the "Fighting as an end in itself" blog post. I replied there and asked him to post it in this thread, but there was no reply. Here's his post, slightly edited (I left out links to wikipedia, because this thread is about videos and not information per se).
Link to the blog post:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/01/fightin ... qus_thread
GreenFlame
Lttl bit about combat styles...I really would like Iaido and Battojutsu styles will be in Overgrowth.So it will be hard to animate such things but...pleeease...i think if Overgrowth trailer will have such moves all the world be fans of this megahypergame will play it without stopping =)
Also i would like long chains of attacks with knife.

Battojutsu(I LOVE IT!!!):

Iaido

Metal staff vs straight sword, 4:45
Sammo Hung versus Jing Wu in the last fight of the movie "Fatal Move" - now in HD version!
Death scene with Lugaru-level brutality in movie quality, so not for those who don't want to see blood.
The fight itself is pretty fast-paced and some of the details can be hard to see. Environment is used to great effect, and there are few short moments that where one or the other combatant is shocked and/or noticeably afraid; that would be nice to see in Overgrowth.
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

GreenFlame

Post by GreenFlame » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:21 am

Yup, thanx.Im just busy with school and programming study, sorry for no reply.I will search videos time to time and if i'll found something cool, i'll post it :)
Also i think it would be great if u can make vote system on this thread.Fans will vote and choose best ones and then u can edit your First post in this thread and put there all BEST videos...I think it would help Wolfire team, hope someone of them will find time to watch :)
So anyway I megahyperlike Overgrowth, it is game #1 which i wait for,it is better than game i wished to make from my childhood... realism(u can kill or be killed from 1 attack, but u can parry and counter e.t.c)and awesome movies(hope here will be something which lets u fight with samurais weapons like katana or nodati).Will try found something about Battojutsu and Iaido tech :D

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:33 pm

hey GreenFlame, haven't seen you in a while, how've you been?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:34 pm

Thanks, GreenFlame.

I don't think voting system is necessary. If this thread gets enough videos, it could be worth re-organizing, but as long as the videos have at least short descriptions it shouldn't be too hard to find any single video again.

longswords, 2:12
They go through the same training practice several times. An array of attacks are parried/evaded, then a down-ward slash is stopped, the attacker's sword thrown to the side, followed by a slash towards his unprotected head/neck.

longsword spar, 1:43
I keep finding good videos about two-handed swords. Here is a small "fight", with hits, counters, thrusts and little grappling. Despite the low resolution, the movement and the swords are easy to see. It would be wonderful to see this in Overgrowth.

sword and buckler duel, 5:24
Also available in high quality. I don't know if bucklers are in, or if parrying daggers can be used with rapiers, but this looks nice for that kind of stuff. Camerawork could be better, though.

European one-handed sword vs sword, 4:53
Video also in high quality. The video demonstrates variety of attacks and counters. This should also work for the "rapiers" that cats are supposed to use.

ancient fencing video, 0:12
It dates back to 1880! "This clip was filmed off an original French flip-book and constitutes one of the first short documentary sources on the sequence of movements actually used." Both fighters look very agile even without moving their feet.

Ukrainian military sabre drills, 3:50
Ukrainian sabre, with more curve than the chinese sabres I've previously posted. Starts with short single-person drill, the other person comes in around 0:50. The last minute or so consists of still images, including a good one of a really unique thrust (3:20).

smallsword (think rapier) vs military saber, 3:18
The smallsword has a pecualiar look. It looks like he's playing with his opponent, and the stance is really high. This could work well for cats. Military saber-guy stays regrettably defensive and passive for most of the match.

single stick "fencing", 2:19
I have no idea what "single-stick fencing" is, but it looks like swordplay. This is another freeform "fight" that could work for swords or rapiers. As above, the action looks good despite low resolution.

"singlestick" that looks like the video one above, 2:50
The camera is behind one combatant. This could be useful to see what kinds of attacks the player can and cannot easily notice, which is important for the gameplay.

duel with long staves, 1:17
Two people do a slow spar with staves that look somewhere between 2 and 2,5 meters long. Nice parries with the staff. Parries look like they could also be used to parry attacks from other weapons.

Quick quarterstaff "fight", 1:29
Quarterstaff blocks, parries, counters, disarm, kicks, and little unarmed stuff at the end. In the end, an unarmed person parries a staff thrust, tries to disarm but the disarm is countered and he gets thrown to the ground and hit to the head.

Several of these videos are pretty fast-paced, either free sparring or choreographed to look like it.
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:16 am

Endoperez wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh5xZLwz ... annel_page
Kangaroos "boxing", 1:09
They have a peculiar way of balancing on top of their tail to kick with both legs. Might work for rats.
Ow, I bet that hurts.

GreenFlame

Post by GreenFlame » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:47 pm

Oh god this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5k5kSIc ... re=related
is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLESE Watch THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They're almost flying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Aleol

Post by Aleol » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:06 pm

.... what?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:21 pm

GreenFlame wrote:Oh god this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5k5kSIc ... re=related
They're almost flying! :D
Katana forms, 4:23 min
Video quality is decent on high quality. Action starts around 1:00. Only single-person form or forms. A guy is demonstrating katana attacks on air and by cutting bamboo. Also, a guy in a suit of cool Japanese armor makes a short appearance after 3:25.

Aleol

Post by Aleol » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Well, I saw the video, but what does he mean by almost flying?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:05 am

Aleol wrote:Well, I saw the video, but what does he mean by almost flying?
I don't know. Personally, I expected lots of jumping.

GreenFlame

Post by GreenFlame » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:57 am

Sorry if you was disappointed...just meaned they jumping cool...may be it is only my opinion...sorry please

Aleol

Post by Aleol » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:56 am

..... but..... they're not...... ?