Martial Arts Video References for Overgrowth

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Merlkir

Re: Martial Arts Video References for Overgrowth

Post by Merlkir » Sat May 02, 2009 10:29 am

Has anyone started a thread for the "Epic fight - movie references" yet ? (can't find one..)

Good points have been raised in the blog post. What adds to "epicness" of a fight (for me anyway) is interactive and destroyable environment. Like in that Matrix vid on the blog, or in kungfu films like

Iron Monkey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YpqaLT7Kio

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat May 02, 2009 10:50 am

Merlkir wrote:Has anyone started a thread for the "Epic fight - movie references" yet ? (can't find one..)
I tried starting one in Randomness, but it only got few posts. Another thread was started on the secret preorder forum.
Hah, classic movie. Are these all its fights? It's also in high-quality, I'll have to check that out on some computer that can run it. :)

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sun May 03, 2009 2:53 am

just a leeetle off topic, but WTH...

Unarmed, or making cool use of improvised weapons and the environment: fight choreography and practice for the bar scene in Serenity. Summer Glau looks great at it in the film, but yu can see all the moves much clearer in this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt9F2iyJLCw

I like the way the stunt woman gets that whip-like motion and full extension on her high kicks-- round-house and front kicks. There are also some good grab-and-slam into the bar moves that might look cool to animate, and a bit of stylin' gymnastics.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun May 03, 2009 3:47 am

kehaar wrote:...fight choreography and practice for the bar scene in Serenity.
I do so love that movie.

Neat clip too. The use of cables and such was interesting.
However, there was a most distressing lack of Glau.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Sun May 24, 2009 7:04 am

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I was told I should put it here but someone who's name I am a selfish git enough to have forgotten.

"Go No Sen" and "Sen No Sen" are two different ways of countering an attack in Karate, the first involving getting out of the way and then springing back during the moment of weakness that follow the attack, and the latter being a simultaneous attack.

I'm a fan of "Sen No Sen" because I like playing snap with the other guy - the idea is that you enter into his way of thinking and hit him as soon as he starts to move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMSpUU2QicE

For those curious, here's what "Go No Sen" looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrWOsQ_jDaM

The important thing is that this isn't just for Karate: all martial arts have a similar sort of progression from reaction to prediction.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun May 24, 2009 8:05 am

The Sen No Sen video is very cool. Thanks for posting it here.

Three videos from some rural place, somewhere in China. Two single-person performances and one two-person drill, all made in dry, sandy ground. I like the background wall, I like how their movements kick dust to the air, and I think some of their movements are very catlike. Arched back, strangely overdone walk, etc. Not all the time, but enough for me to make a mental connection.

Unfortunately, the videos are pretty low-quality, so especially the dust clouds are hard to see.
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tüssler

Post by Tüssler » Tue May 26, 2009 9:36 pm

lol theese movies r so screaming 'get rich, invisible man'

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed May 27, 2009 6:31 am

Tüssler wrote:lol theese movies r so screaming 'get rich, invisible man'
Err, what? I can't see the joke.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:16 pm

Aikido! I started searching for videos using the aikido terms, and it's a goldmine. Really, really impressive stuff, and LOTS of it! Furthermore, the techniques are named for 1) what it's done against and 2) what's the basic idea in it.
Part 1 may be: yokomen-uchi (head-strike), or uchi something else; or ryotedori (two wrists grabbed) or dori something else for a different bodypart being grabbed, or strikes with staff (jo) or sword (ken) and many, many others.

Aikido UNARMED

Six counters to strikes down towards the head. In aikido terms, some of these are yokomen-uchi, (towards side of the head) and others are shomen-uchi (straight down).

3 secs. Step forward, turning toward the opponent, then continue turning as you pull his striking hand backwards

3 secs. Step sidewise to avoid, control, own.

4 secs. Before the attacker is ready, step forward to meet him.

5 secs. Both start crouched. Defender turns his whole body to direct the strike away.

46 seconds, first an 8 second normal-speed and then longer, slow-motion replay. The opponent could already fall down to his face at 6-seconds mark, but I think this throw (iriminage) is always practiced as if the opponent would try getting back up.

48 seconds, another real-time + slowed-down. This poster only had these two videos!

"Sumi otoshi" is a name of judo throw, but I don't think this is it. A straight punch is countered by moving towards the attacker, then turning round and twisting the punching arm. Great footwork!

3 sec Counter to ryotedori (enemy has grabbed your both wrists). Control the opponent's center of weight, then crouch down and use yourself as a fulcrum. Looks like it would also work when an opponent is trying to disarm you.

5 secs. A single enemy is behind you and has a hold on your neck. The turning movement will force the opponent's hands to cross themselves, which will force him to let go of you. Similar movement should work even if he holds your sleeves, your arms, or your wrists, as long as his hands are on different sides of your body.

13 seconds of very impressive footwork:

Here's a series of fantastic videos, all about 8 minutes of non-stop display of different counters to a spesific situation, including lots of different evasions. The evasions will be very useful even without the counters!

yokomen uchi (strikes down toward head):

morote dori (enemy has or tries to get a hold on one of your wrists, using both his hands):

ryote dori (enemy has or tries to get a hold on both of your wrists, using both of his hands)

Aikido WEAPONS (note, I've only seen the short, walking stick-sized staff in here. I call it staff here, I might have called it short staff or jo before):

Staff disarm from right next to the opponent. I didn't notice an attack, just the staff-users moving towards the demo-er.

4:44, staff. At about 0:55, the single-person form is replaced by two-person acted-out forms. It looks very good. Blocks, evasions, strikes, counters, throws...

1:24, 12 staff evasions/counters and disarms. Some really cool stuff in here!

1:08, 9 dagger counters. Again, impressive.
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Now, the second AIKIDO part. Did I meantion there's LOTS of this?

0:16, Another strike to the head followed by iriminage. First in real-time, then slow. The same move is shown in the previous post, it's one of the 40-second videos with slow-mo.

0:03, strike towards the stomach, but this would work for anything that can be avoided by a sidestep.

0:12, another similar move

Six short partner-practice videos about short staff:

And four short partner-pracice videos about sword-use. The word, tachi, means katanas that aren't used like the katanas that are called katanas. I didn't bother to find out any more than that.

And finally, a 1:56 video showing an aikido guy getting to be the dummy while a big guy demonstrates some less "harmonic" ways to counter attacks. :lol:
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:43 pm

I have no idea why this video was filmed and what they're demonstrating, but it shows many ways to evade and counter a single punch.
0:39, style is Practical Tai Chi Chuan, and you'll have to go to their site since the video's hosted on their site, not on youtube.
http://www.ptcc.dk/hvad_er_tai_chi/ptcc ... orsvar.htm

tokage

Post by tokage » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:11 pm

Endoperez wrote:The word, tachi, means katanas that aren't used like the katanas that are called katanas are. I didn't bother to find out any more than that.
Tachi(太刀) simply means large sword. One source said larger than 60 cm. From another source it seems to be used in comparison to other swords(especially when carrying two). Tachi being carried at the hip with the cutting edge pointing to the ground, are thus different than smaller swords that are carried with the edge pointing up. So .. basically a large sword.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:14 am

Thanks for the clarification.

Found cool bagua videos by Warren Fox.

1:20, counter flurry of punches and push the opponent backwards

1:22 of bagua deer-horns parrying kali sticks. The deer horns look vicious, and the kali sticks really suffer in this.

1:27, where the "Warfox" gets to show off his blocking and evasive maneuvers, and other stuff.
Last edited by Endoperez on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:59 pm

I know kung fu. Great ending there. Rofl

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:52 am

Man, this stuff is like the most epic ever. Nice hunting, all. I should find some...