Martial Arts Video References for Overgrowth

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Endoperez

Re: Martial Arts Video References for Overgrowth

Post by Endoperez » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:08 am

A collection of Jujitsu throws. They go very fast through the throws, and there's quite a lot of variation. Nice high arcs through the air. The power seems to be generated from a very powerful hip rotation. They also end the throws in a punch or a kick, could be nice to see in a game. "Realism demands an ending."

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:05 pm

Indeed, using the opponents momentum and shit. But in real life that's all harder than it looks. I myself can do most of those throws so the most important thing is the center of gravity, first a nudge the takes the enemy off balance and then the actual throw.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:59 am

nutcracker wrote:Indeed, using the opponents momentum and shit. But in real life that's all harder than it looks. I myself can do most of those throws so the most important thing is the center of gravity, first a nudge the takes the enemy off balance and then the actual throw.
I thought I already posted this on friday, but there's no post here... :?:

I don't think that video made the throws look easy. They were done quickly and efficiently, but at least I could see how they got the force to do the stuff. For real WTF feeling, you have to look at something like the Aunkai videos. It's a new Japanese style created by a guy who studied internal Chinese styles (tai chi and xing yi), and then under some unnamed Japanese masters, and it's based on forming a strong "frame" (muscles, posture and all that) and then learning techniques using that frame. http://aunkai.net/eng/

When the guy's not fast as lightning, the techniques look deceptively simple... Very impressive stuff! The movements usually aren't that clear, so I guess they aren't ideal as martial arts reference, but they still give some very interesting ideas.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:52 am

Poor quality, great action. Spear vs two butterfly knives (they're very heavy as far as knives go, think short machete). After three disarms the fighters end up weaponless.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:05 am

Oar form. Perhaps it could be adjusted to work for this.

WallyWorld

Post by WallyWorld » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:00 am

Might also work nicely for a slightly shorter bladed spear/staff weapon like a glaive.

In theory the Dogs like to use Spear and Polearm weapons, so basically along those lines but a tiny bit shorter and used for sweeping and slashes with a long blade but can also stab if needed. Being a sharp pointy thing and all.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:42 pm

WallyWorld wrote:Might also work nicely for a slightly shorter bladed spear/staff weapon like a glaive.
The Chinese have that. :D It's pu dao, described as either a very long-handled sabre or a quite short-handled halberd.
Here's some "dao" or sabres, with heavy swords on the upper left, long horse-cutter swords on upper right, halberds on lower left (NOT to scale) and the more commonly seen one-handed versions on the lower right. The ancient ones reputedly inspired Japanese and Korean swordsmiths in their designs, and dao are also some of the only swords sometimes used in both hands.

Here's a video (embedding isn't allowed):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ZNXLbDQhg

That reminds me, there aren't many glaive/halberd/polearm-dao videos in here that show stuff other than forms. Spear videos and a couple with pollaxes, yes, but not much with halberds.

I did find one more, nice movement but very poor image quality. Two European Halberds after a fechtbuch.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:48 pm

2 vs 1
A guy with two swords (langes messer) is practicing against two others, one armed with a katana and the other with a straight sword and a small shield. The way the lone guy has to keep looking for a more advantageous position is very nice.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:54 am

Baji in Taiwan. Different ways to get past an opponents first strike to close range, and once there, explode at his face. Nice use of forearm strikes; this could work as some sort of "on the move" transitional strike for situations when you're trying to push past someone.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:01 am

Russian video in which a guy with a meteor hammer is in the middle of a group of guys with knifes (all weapons are padded practice weapons). It's titled "chaos", and the focus is on the guy working the meteor hammer. Awesome!

More from the same group, starting with long dagger:

Sword & Dagger vs Sword & Dagger, then Two Swords vs Sword & Buckler. It shows alternating attack/defense/attack/defense patterns when using two weapons or a weapon and shield.

Really careful sword sparring. Look at this to see how an unarmoured swordfighter might try to keep himself safe.

I'll probably post a little more later today, once some more videos load. The alpha is coming at the rate of 15 kb/s, that should tell you something about the quality of the connection here right now...

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:50 am

Here's some Chinese stuff.

Some bagua. When your counter to straight right punch starts with "palm, elbow combination to the front of the face, continue your spin to strike low elbow to the liver thirteen", well... Ouch! "Go for an arm break, possibly an eye gouge"... Good stuff, although the video quality isn't as high as it could be. The movements are still easy to see, thankfully.

Some XingYi grappling techniques:

And taiji applications based on the form. The way the flow of movements is explained is very nice, and although the exact movements here probably won't make it into Overgrowth, I'm hoping some extended exchanges could end up being something like this, preferably so that as long as neither makes a mistake no major blow gets through...

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:16 am

Hung Gar treatise on street violence. It's full of really great tips. After every example, the action is played back slowed-down while the narrator explains the small details. This looks like it'd be extremely helpful for deciding which kinds of movements should be available. Also, it calls a right uppercut to the groin "a pair of flying butterflies" - is that awesome or what?

Of course, the above video also looks and sounds like a bad 80s kung fu comedy. It's even worse in the following video with the same guy doing a form... Even I can't help but laugh! :lol:

Here are some applications on the above form.

And now some other stuff:

Staff versus hammer (maul) "duel"/demonstration. Since one of the dog clans favour heavy hammers, this should fit in perfectly.

Here are two very different ways to look at disarming an opponent. First, avoid and use the opponent's force. Second, avoid by attacking against his incoming force.

Some applications with strong kicks. Also, the kickeé staggers really nicely - it'd be fantastic if Overgrowth enemies reacted like that when kicked, and when kicked towards a wall.

Hung Gar tiger claw applications. When its done with fingers, it looks like it hurts. If it was done with claws, well, it wouldn't be pretty.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:40 am

Good video quality; the resolution isn't very high but it's still very clear what's going on.

Muaythai Krabi Krabong, a martial art predating the modern and more well-known Muay Thai. This video shows sword training, and curiously enough, the fighters often crouch down to almost a sitting position.
Two swords (represented by sticks) vs two swords. Three men fighting, each with a sword (stick). Two one-on-one duels where both duelers have a wooden sword.

The next video about the same style has some interesting tricks.
Counters performed from SITTING position. The example against an attack from a standing person should work very well for counters performed when crouching, or by crouching below the attack.
Jumping on the enemy and climbing on and around him, arm locks made with the legs. And finally, it ends with clips from sport-style fighting matches - nice way of showing it's more than talk, although the moves performed in there weren't the really weird ones.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:30 pm

Some sword tricks (counter-attacks) from Wudang Taiji. One of the applications is for a move called Rhinoceros watching the moon. 8)

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:59 pm

Endo, I like how you're the only one that has been keeping this thread alive for over three months.

Keep at it.