Power of the engine

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
tomascokis

Power of the engine

Post by tomascokis » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:30 pm

I was wondering exactly how powerful the engine would be in term for modders. I'm fully aware of the map editor and I know you can load custom objects in, but is there some kind of an in game script that you can use to complexly mod it? or is al of it done in source code. The reason I ask this is because I would really like to see things like vehicles, interactive objects like switches, buttons and "kill" areas, and I was wondering if the Phoenix engine has the capability to add that kind of stuff in without editing the actual source code.

That sentence is phrased badly and I accept that.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Re: Power of the engine

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:03 am

tomascokis wrote:has
AFAIK, the engine doesn't have anything much yet, besides some basic procedural animation for rabbot and some fancy graphics stuff.

I could be wrong though, they might be hiding something.

You should probably be asking if the team plans on implementing this stuff in the future.

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:10 am

well yeah basically, but I am assuming that something major like applying scripts to objects would be to hard to implement this far down the track. But then again, I don't know what stage the team are at - I'm just going by the second quarter of this year prediction

Mykei

Post by Mykei » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:12 am

The engine is very easy for people to add objects and textures but it lacks a few things.

If you have a large model that has multiple textures (because it wont all fit on one file) then you have to break the model up into smaller pieces and put them together in-game. This is tricky because the movement system isn't very accurate (it's like using Valves Hammer editor with the grid snapping turned off)

No shadows or light sources so everything looks very bland, Ive asked and asked for dynamic shadows and all that fancy stuff but it looks like we wont be seeing it for a long time.

No in-game scripting but lots of people are asking for it so lets hope they do it.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:52 am

It's alpha, so there isn't much. Things like Grid-snapping probably aren't too hard to do, so there's a good chance of them being included.

One of the goals is good moddability, so I expect they are planning to add some of the stuff OP mentioned. It's too early to say what will be included and in what form.

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:55 am

what I really want is some form of script, so objects can be given some form of interactivity.

Madd the Sane

Post by Madd the Sane » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:46 am

If I remember correctly, they mentioned that they were going to be using javascript for the scripting engine. I don't know if this is only for the GUI or if it's going to be through the whole engine.

Mykei

Post by Mykei » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:21 am

tomascokis wrote:what I really want is some form of script, so objects can be given some form of interactivity.
If wolfire doesn't do it then I'm sure the community will.

Artanis

Post by Artanis » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:38 am

What I've been wondering about for a while is the amount of physics variables that are hard-coded or static.

It'd open up some possibilities if a modder could, say, turn off gravity. Then you could make an Ender's Game-style Battle Room.

Also, hi everyone.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:08 am

Currently I don't think physics effects any objects in the editor, so perhaps there will be certain objects that -do- move around, like if you kick somebody into a fruit stand. If that's included it would be neat if the thing actually broke, but that's getting a bit complex... perhaps.

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:17 pm

Artanis wrote: Also, hi everyone.
Hello! Thanks for pre-ordering overgrowth :)

Artanis

Post by Artanis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:01 am

tomascokis wrote: Hello! Thanks for pre-ordering overgrowth :)
I'm still thinking about that decision, so having pre-ordered Overgrowth either means someone did so for me, or that you can see the future. :D

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:36 am

oh right. I thought this was the spf. My bad.

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:37 am

I think I started this post before I preordered because now all my posts go in the spf.

Also preordering is awesome, the new alpha has a grass plains environment with the jesus stone

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:49 am

tomascokis wrote:the jesus stone
Is that what they're going to nickname it now?