Demo for Overgrowth?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Sokahu

Demo for Overgrowth?

Post by Sokahu » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:47 pm

I was just wondering, will there be a demo version of Overgrowth, so that you can test it out to see if you like it? Or will it be an all or nothing thing?

To whoever answers me-thanks!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Demo for Overgrowth?

Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:22 pm

There will be a demo

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:08 am

Okay, on that subject, how much can we expect form the demo? Will it be a sort of Lugaru deal where you get 2-3 levels and then it asks you to enter a code? Or will the demo be a separate program like a bunch of games that come out?

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:28 pm

I don't think serials are the way to go, there to easy to hack

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:47 am

tomascokis wrote:I don't think serials are the way to go, there to easy to hack
Overgrowth calls home (contacts the wolfire server) everytime you start it to check if your Serial code is legit. Yeah that can still be hacked, but it's very difficult.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:56 am

Jo, you forget things like Little Snitch, people who can't go online needing offline registration, and those kind of things. Especially since OG's code isn't that hard to find, I'm sure there'd be hacked versions within months of the final release.

Then again, there's also the fact that pirating can actually make something spread wider, thus become more popular, and, believe it or not, get more orders in.
I have no idea how this factor works exactly though, plus I'm no pirate. So anything I've said in this post might as well not be true...

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:02 am

Glabbit wrote:Jo, you forget things like Little Snitch, people who can't go online needing offline registration, and those kind of things. Especially since OG's code isn't that hard to find, I'm sure there'd be hacked versions within months of the final release.

Then again, there's also the fact that pirating can actually make something spread wider, thus become more popular, and, believe it or not, get more orders in.
I have no idea how this factor works exactly though, plus I'm no pirate. So anything I've said in this post might as well not be true...
Yep. As I clearly said in my previous post, hacking can't be stopped, merely deterred. I didn't deem it necessary to go into much detail, but you're absolutely right.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:16 am

Why do I have this sudden urge to prove you wrong somehow? xD

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:22 am

Glabbit wrote:...
Why do I have this sudden urge to prove you wrong somehow? xD
I seem to bring that out in many people, no worries. It's cool :lol:

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:52 pm

jo-shadow wrote:
tomascokis wrote:I don't think serials are the way to go, there to easy to hack
Overgrowth calls home (contacts the wolfire server) everytime you start it to check if your Serial code is legit. Yeah that can still be hacked, but it's very difficult.
That is the alpha version, the final version won't have DRM.

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:47 pm

oh yeah, I'm talking about the final thing, for the alpha what is currently being used works fine, for the real game though I think using it without an internet connection is a must. So some kind of uber-complicated anti piracy system is needed.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:58 am

I remember hearing that they would use a system similar to how steam works. But I have no idea how steam works apart from "PAY MONEYZ BUY GAME PLAY GAME".

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:32 am

invertin wrote:I remember hearing that they would use a system similar to how steam works. But I have no idea how steam works apart from "PAY MONEYZ BUY GAME PLAY GAME".
In steam you have an account, when you buy a game it is linked with that account. you can re-download the game as many times as you want, on as many computers as you want, but you can only be logged in with your account on one computer at a time.

I'm not sure if they will choose to go that route since jeff just mentioned that it will be DRM free, and the steam system is inherently DRM based.

Edit: Yeah just talked to jeff. The version they will sell on wolfire.com will be completely DRM free, meaning no such system. The version on Steam will be DRM simply because that's how steam works.

sfriedlander

Post by sfriedlander » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:36 am

Glabbit wrote:Jo, you forget things like Little Snitch, people who can't go online needing offline registration, and those kind of things. Especially since OG's code isn't that hard to find, I'm sure there'd be hacked versions within months of the final release.

If people like the game that they have pirated alot, they will support the makers by buying it.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:08 am

sfriedlander wrote:If people like the game that they have pirated alot, they will support the makers by buying it.
Some people buy some of the games they pirate. Not all. Many of those who do buy the games, wait until they can get the games cheap, at which point the developers get next to no money from those games.

Sometimes a game gets pirated way more than it gets bought. Just read about Stardock's game Demigods. 85% of the peak users being pirates? Okay...