I CANT USE THE ALPHA BUILDS!!! I PAID MONEY!!

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Noz

I CANT USE THE ALPHA BUILDS!!! I PAID MONEY!!

Post by Noz » Sun May 24, 2009 10:00 am

I preordered so i could use the alphas but my crappy computer cant handle the graphics. I PAID for them. Now I cant use them? That just dont make no sense! I WANT OPTIMAZATIONS!!!

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun May 24, 2009 10:15 am

:| Is this an attempt at funny?

Ragdollmaster

Re: I CANT USE THE ALPHA BUILDS!!! I PAID MONEY!!

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun May 24, 2009 10:18 am

So uh, go pay for a PS3 game and try to play it on a PS1, than get pissed at Sony because the console can't handle it. You can probably get a refund but it's not the developers' faults that your computer can't handle it. "That just don't make no sense"- If you mean your sentence, yeah, it really doesn't make 'no' sense. Your problem does. If your computer can't handle the game, oh well.

Oh, another illustration- paying for diesel fuel to fill up your Prius and then getting mad at Toyota.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sun May 24, 2009 11:27 am

In case you didn't notice the alphas have little or no optimization at all (think of it like constantly running the game on maximum quality settings and not being able to turn them down)

SSsssssoooooooooo either
  1. Wait for a 'blessed build.'
  2. Wait for the game to be released.
  3. Get your money back but then have to pay again once it comes out.
  4. Buy a better computer or upgrade (though I doubt that would be a desirable option considering that costs money).
Can you tell us your system specs?

EDIT: If you want to have a chuckle replace the words 'I paid money' with 'I am a pirate and I lyke to steal your alpha codez but I am still mad at you'

Noz

Post by Noz » Sun May 24, 2009 6:36 pm

PC games are different. HL2 could be turned to low graphics levels. If you payed for Half Life 2 and couldn't turn the @#$*&@!! graphics down you'd get ANGRY. I had HL2 set on high graphics and it worked fine., So if i cant run Overgrowth anything lower than 1 frame per second, something is wrong.

I have directx 9, nvidea 5500.

Noz

Post by Noz » Sun May 24, 2009 6:41 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:So uh, go pay for a PS3 game and try to play it on a PS1, than get pissed at Sony because the console can't handle it. You can probably get a refund but it's not the developers' faults that your computer can't handle it. "That just don't make no sense"- If you mean your sentence, yeah, it really doesn't make 'no' sense. Your problem does. If your computer can't handle the game, oh well.

Oh, another illustration- paying for diesel fuel to fill up your Prius and then getting mad at Toyota.
Im thinking of ways to strangle you! :cry: :evil:

*deep breath*

all im saying is that its like if you pay 20 dollars for something that has no system req, and it doesnt work. Like buying mystery fuel for your prius. :x

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun May 24, 2009 6:51 pm

Noz wrote:all im saying is that its like if you pay 20 dollars for something that has no system req, and it doesnt work. Like buying mystery fuel for your prius.
Which brings us to the moral of this story: If you aren't willing to take a risk, don't shell out for a program before you know the system reqs.

Untadaike

Re:

Post by Untadaike » Sun May 24, 2009 11:12 pm

Zhukov wrote:Which brings us to the moral of this story: If you aren't willing to take a risk, don't shell out for a program before you know the system reqs.
Good dog!

tokage

Post by tokage » Mon May 25, 2009 9:45 am

Noz wrote:... I PAID for them. ...
You paid for the Alpha's? I guess not. You preordered Overgrowth. You will get the full game once it is done. That is what a preorder is and that is what you paid for. The alpha's and the SPF are a bonus. And you have no right that this bonus works on your computer or demand optimizations for it. Why? Because it is an alpha, it is a work in progress. Comparing it to a finished HL2 is just plain stupid.
Expecting it to work on an old computer is shortsighted, too.

The smart thing to do would have been to talk to Jeff or John and ask for a refund or some tips. And not to go to the forum and cry.
And by the way, you can turn down graphic settings in the config file.

Noz

Post by Noz » Mon May 25, 2009 6:38 pm

Could someone tell me what i should set for my settings for low detail?

I feel sheepish. :oops:

I am at your humble mercy

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue May 26, 2009 12:53 am

Hey Noz, I understand your pain. Please send me an IM (aim: osxii) and I will process your refund and remove you from SPF. No worries! Preordering a video game should not be a stressful experience.

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Re:

Post by cachiporrin » Tue May 26, 2009 11:23 am

Zhukov wrote:
Noz wrote:all im saying is that its like if you pay 20 dollars for something that has no system req, and it doesnt work. Like buying mystery fuel for your prius.
Which brings us to the moral of this story: If you aren't willing to take a risk, don't shell out for a program before you know the system reqs.
I totally agree with Zhukov. Look, I preordered overgrowth, but the alphas run way too slow on my PC too, despite of that, I don´t regret a thing. I am really happy and proud of being able to do a tiny help to Wolfire games, just take a look at the benefits you get for preordering

Why should I preorder Overgrowth?

1. You get admitted to an exclusive club called the Secret Preorder Forum or SPF. I am bound by the 1st rule of SPF (and 2nd and 3rd…) not to talk about what happens in SPF but it is full of Overgrowth discussions, alpha testing stuff, and people showing off modding screenshots and such. For an example of the kinds of things that get created in SPF, click here.

2. You get to download our weekly alpha builds. Fans have enjoyed watching us build Overgrowth from the ground up. Now many are enjoying building their own houses and jumping around with rabbot. Every week, new stuff is added, until we are done (and then hopefully fans will take over with our modding tools!)

3. You get that warm fuzzy feeling of knowing that you are helping the small indie company that is Wolfire survive in the crowded and noisy space of the gaming industry. Thanks to fan support we were able get better computers and more coffee. Both have helped us code faster.

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue May 26, 2009 12:16 pm

I think the last time I used an alpha build it crashed, but instead of trying to fix it I just kind of went "meh" and haven't played with them since.

Not sure why I haven't played with them since. I'm lazy like that.

Noz

Post by Noz » Tue May 26, 2009 1:48 pm

Jeff wrote:Hey Noz, I understand your pain. Please send me an IM (aim: osxii) and I will process your refund and remove you from SPF. No worries! Preordering a video game should not be a stressful experience.
its alright. Im fine. I guess i just got so excited from looking at Gameplay videos. Ill bet i can fix the alphas to run better. Any suggestions?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue May 26, 2009 4:43 pm

If you look at config.txt in the Data folder, there are a few settings you can change:

screenwidth: 1280
screenheight: 720
fullscreen: false
vsync: false
multisample: 4
anisotropy: 4
post_effects: false
shaders: true
texture_reduce: 0

You could try changing this to something like:

screenwidth: 800
screenheight: 600