The "John's beard" thread! - Noooes, the beard is gone!

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Fournine
.hacker

Re: The "John's beard" thread!

Post by Fournine » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:36 pm

tokage wrote:
Fournine wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:I hate when people feign insanity for shits and giggles or renown, it's one of my pet peeves.
One of my friends at college claimed she could see ghosts, which would freak her out. I couldn't decide if she was actively hallucinating due to stress, or pretending to be able to see them so she could be comforted - it was equally conceivable she was doing either.
Maybe she was experiencing Kanashibari, also called sleep paralysis. It is basically waking up and being consciously perceiving your surroundings while entering a REM-phase. You can't move, but you see and hear everything around you overlaid with all possible kinds of dream induced hallucination. Scary stuff.
She was walking around the dorm with me.

tokage

Post by tokage » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Fournine wrote:
tokage wrote: Maybe she was experiencing Kanashibari, also called sleep paralysis. It is basically waking up and being consciously perceiving your surroundings while entering a REM-phase. You can't move, but you see and hear everything around you overlaid with all possible kinds of dream induced hallucination. Scary stuff.
She was walking around the dorm with me.
Ok, the answer is no then. But glad we could exclude it.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:51 am

She was more likely looking for attention ...

When I lived in the dorms I once had a girl tell me that she was afraid of thunderstorms so I should go to her room to check up on her ...

I thought she was just messing around with me (she used to tease me alot) ... however, the obvious opportunity she was really trying to present to me didn't come to mind until much later ...

I guess you could say that im a social retard :P ...

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:16 am

Assaultman67 wrote:She was more likely looking for attention ...

When I lived in the dorms I once had a girl tell me that she was afraid of thunderstorms so I should go to her room to check up on her ...

I thought she was just messing around with me (she used to tease me alot) ... however, the obvious opportunity she was really trying to present to me didn't come to mind until much later ...

I guess you could say that im a social retard :P ...
Ah ha ha ha ha awesome. When you're a really old man, you'll still remember that.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:22 pm

Right!

It is time this thread got back on topic - if you can call it that :?

I present to you, for your delight and delectation, the latest in my series of "Look at me! I made a game and put John's beard in it!" I call this particular monstrosity BEARD SNAKE

Eat Subway to get points - running into walls or your... beard... trail-thing - makes you die. Yeaaah :)

Including such features as 3 different difficulty levels and FPS regulation, meaning that the game runs at a steady number of FPS no matter how fast your computer is! I know, I'm a genius :D

The Beard is also pink!

All right, we're now authenticated on ModDB (my new best friends: they host all my stuff!):

Windows .exe
edit: compiled using a Windows XP Virtual Machine - not actually sure whether that's 64 or 32 bit to be honest :? probably 32. let me know if it works.

Linux
edit: This was compiled on my machine, which is Jaunty 64bit: I may need to make an alternate 32 bit Virtual Machine to compile 32bit versions (way too incompetant to set up cross-compilation by hand). Let me know whether it works or not.

NB - made this a while ago but today I decided to make some John-theme sprites. The tail is surprisingly difficult to deal with - pointers galore. I originally tried using pseudo Object-Oriented in C, which each segment pointing the the one in front of it.
Ultimately I went for an FIFO array (int start, end; SDL_Rect segment[MAX_SEGMENTS];) which was a lot simpler and worked a lot better. Anyone ever done their own Snake clone?
Last edited by Wilbefast on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aspen

Post by Aspen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:28 pm

An obsession?

I am aware that I could be included in the same group as the obsessed people. I thought it out and came to the conclusion that if I wanted to become a member of the community, I should have a bearded avatar. Luckily, some of the more-obsessed people, or should I say "Elite Members of the Code of JB", made me one, since I could not afford to deprive my video games of my precious gaming time to make one myself.
Last edited by Aspen on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:39 pm

Couldn't you just make the beard-trail into temporary wall segments with life equal to the number of sandwiches eaten, and spawns in the last square occupied?

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Aspen wrote:...since I could not afford to deprive my video games of my precious gaming time to make one myself.
I actually made my under appreciated version of yours while playing Mass Effect 2. I think that proves, at least in my beard's mind, that I am superior.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:53 pm

Wilbefast wrote:... Yet to be authenticated on ModDB (my new best friends: they host all my stuff!) but I think the direct links should work fine:

Windows .exe

Linux bin

edit: direct links aren't working at the moment, so head over here instead - I'm sure it'll all be up and running soon...
I just befriended you on moddb >_>

John

Post by John » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:36 pm

HAHAH. Oh dear. Another game that is well-grounded in reality. I do like a good sub. Which sandwich is that Wilbefast?

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:52 am

Aspen wrote:An obsession?
If I remember correctly, I woke up that day with the idea of making a snake clone already lodged firmly in my brain - it took me about 10 hours, and I forgot to eat all day :?
So to answer your question - yes :D To be a programmer is to be obsessed!
Fournine wrote:Couldn't you just make the beard-trail into temporary wall segments with life equal to the number of sandwiches eaten, and spawns in the last square occupied?
Interesting idea, though you'd need to have an array of Segment pointers, which you'd have "for loop" through every frame to decrement timers or delete. The FIFO works well because it has a complexity of 1 rather than N (where N is the total number of segments). It's all the snake is really, because the first segment created will always be the first you delete. Far better than using a list at any rate, though the list is also O(1).

Ultimately though Object-Oriented programming is a bitch in (plain old) C - your idea probably work very well in Java or C# though, thanks to their being fully object-oriented and having a garbage collector.
John wrote:HAHAH. Oh dear. Another game that is well-grounded in reality. I do like a good sub. Which sandwich is that Wilbefast?
That would be the Chicken Teriyak sandwich John, with under 6 grams of... something :|

It's probably a bit above your budget though - far too many... um... ingredients :P

Aspen

Post by Aspen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:10 am

Uberbeard wrote:
Aspen wrote:...since I could not afford to deprive my video games of my precious gaming time to make one myself.
I actually made my under appreciated version of yours while playing Mass Effect 2. I think that proves, at least in my beard's mind, that I am superior.
I pity your copy of Mass Effect 2. Shepard has been neglected.

As to your picture, I asked someone to make one. I did not however expect to get two results, and therefore I had to choose between A) a bearded rabbit and B) John's face copied and pasted over the head of the rabbit. I picked Choice A because I wanted a bearded avatar instead of John's face over an avatar. Also, the other Code of JB avatar's do not have John's face over them, so I went with the beard as opposed to the face. I seem to have made the same point three times, so I shall end this post.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:52 pm

You missed out on a chance to be the most awesomest. That's all I'm saying.

wiweeyum

Post by wiweeyum » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:55 pm

Wow... what kind of community have I entered?! I started on page one... and read the entire thread!

That said, it's funny how my avatar looks cooler with the Beard. Wouldn't have imagined him with one before.

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:54 am

Heh, welcome to the Wolfire community ^^

And yes, everything looks better with a pink Beard 8)

- Black
Software and cathedrals are much the same - first we build them, then we pray.