free copies after finishing creation?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
nicko9199

free copies after finishing creation?

Post by nicko9199 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:56 pm

I was thinking that if there was a free copy giveaway during the holidays around christmas than after creation and testing could there be one as early as possible for Overgrowth?

It would be great for the people who have been waiting ever since Overgrowth was mentiond.
Really if the creators could do this it would be amazing for everyone!

TheBigCheese

Re: free copies after finishing creation?

Post by TheBigCheese » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:18 pm

Why would they do that? Christmas is by far the high-selling period in videogames. And the goal here is to make money... Giving it away free completely defeats the purpose.

I can see why they might for Lugaru, because it isn't made to crank out sales, but for a game they've invested time and money into, it would seem counter intuitive.

Plus, it's 30 dollars. Hardly anything considering the price of many top of the line games nowadays. If you're not old enough to work, it's maybe mowing a 2-3 lawns. And if you get an allowance, just save up.

nicko9199

Post by nicko9199 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:25 pm

ey man i might be 11 years old but my dad says i will get allouance but damnit i never do get it i only get lunch money and my weight can get me in foot ball but i'd rather stay in here waiting for a game to come out on the internet yet i do play soccer enough.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Yeah, +1 on mowing the lawns, or something like it.

and after you do a few of those, you'll have some money AND a really good understanding of why the Wolfire crew are needing to get money for their looong, day grinding work.

I bet you $5 USD that somone is still at the office working right now: 9 pm on a Friday night, in Berkeley, CA, while 5000 cute college girls are out at the bars just down the street.

(oops, that may be the end of all tonight's work)

MoDFoX

Post by MoDFoX » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:12 am

Mowing lawns is great, hell I'm going on 18 and I still do it.
Last summer I made a cool $100 for mowing my neighbours lawn while he was away on vacation.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:24 am

man my friend makes a lot of money mowing people's lawns, something like 600 dollars a week, lazy rich people with small lawns rule. he made enough to buy a riding lawn mower and a snow blower, to make similar amount of money during the winter. High school kids can make ridiculously good amounts of money these days tax free too.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 am

This is a common mistake, and not just for kids/young people either. Besides all the pirates who don't see why they should pay for something that was hard to make, producers, directors, ad agencies and all kinds of middle-men make their living trying to squeeze things from artists, workers, designers and photographers without paying them. There's even this parody video, which doesn't feel that special until you see over 1000 comments along the lines of "so true", "that's my life", "a client just threw half of these things at me", "this is EXACTLY the way it is with Ad Agencies", "THIS IS SO TRUE. And yes, people REALLY do act this way."

There are also occassional comments from face painters, dancers, florists and retail workers... Some people aren't willing to pay for anything that isn't a physical object, or want top-quality for the "taco stand" price.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:20 am

nicko9199 wrote:Really if the creators could do this it would be amazing for everyone!
Yeah! It would be great for everyone!

... except for the creators.

nicko9199

Post by nicko9199 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:56 pm

yeah but i dnt mean like as soon as it finishes but if it does and they'll probably make like 100,000 dollars off of overgrowth i mean maybe 3,4, or 5 months after being released than they could give free copies...

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:49 pm

nicko9199 wrote:yeah but i dnt mean like as soon as it finishes but if it does and they'll probably make like 100,000 dollars off of overgrowth i mean maybe 3,4, or 5 months after being released than they could give free copies...
I don't believe you understand the point.

If people buy 100,000 worth of games (which is honestly barely enough to pay the devs), how do you think those people will feel if the devs start giving away the game for free?

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:06 pm

If anyone planned to sell a game for a short while, then release it for free, nobody would buy it and everyone would wait until it was free, thus the developer gets no profit and then he's screwed.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:14 pm

They did claim some success in boosting sales by giving away free Lugaru games for a few days last christmas, but Lugaru was 3-odd years old by then, so it needed some promotion.

Nicko, I bet you won't be able to stand a 3 year wait for OG! Better start mowin'.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Mowing is all fine and good, unless your town has illegals working in it. I haven't been able to do any lawn mowing ever.

Solution? Kill 6illegals, take their 5 dollars each of work money, and you're set!

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:58 pm

Sandurz wrote:Mowing is all fine and good, unless your town has illegals working in it. I haven't been able to do any lawn mowing ever.

Solution? Kill 6illegals, take their 5 dollars each of work money, and you're set!
Brilliant! But if you're going to kill people for money, why not go for the gusto and start a war that kills 100,000 to pump your oil-stock portfolio, Dick Cheney style?

'Course you'd have to be taking the long view, and the OP is only 11.
Have to start small, with Meth dealing and 'jacking cars, then move up.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Brilliant!