Knife throwing

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
agarrett

Knife throwing

Post by agarrett » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:18 pm

I got this idea again from of course, playing Lugaru do you know how when you throw a knife, it either goes into their back or front? in OG, it should be able to go into different parts like an arm and it damages them accordingly. so when you get hit in the arm, that arm is dead and you may have to use the other arm which in turn makes your shots less accurate or if you get slashed in the eye with a sword your blind and you have to rely on your hearing or if you hit their legs, then they cant walk so they make an extremely easy target and they start crawling away trying to get away then you jump on them and stick a knife in their back. you should also be able to stab them with a knife once their dead, and keep it there.

Pyrokwah

Re: Knife throwing

Post by Pyrokwah » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:17 pm

agarrett wrote:or if you hit their legs, then they cant walk so they make an extremely easy target and they start crawling away trying to get away then you jump on them and stick a knife in their back. you should also be able to stab them with a knife once their dead, and keep it there.
0.o

Thats a little violent, no? Haha. But back to your point, Imo, it is all possible untill you said, "..and damages them accordingly." I wouldn't think that getting it to stick in their arm or leg would be to much trouble for the dev's, but when you start to get into damage per area, like the crippling and blindness etc, you start to ask some for some serious coding work from them. I mean, it would be hard to reprogram the entire A.I to deal with the fact that your enemies. can't see you.

agarrett

Post by agarrett » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:46 pm

Just a quick thought, I knew not all of the stuff in there was easy, I just wanted to see if anyone liked it.

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:27 am

they wouldnt have to reprogram the entire ai, just make a new ai for the situation and apply it when necessary.

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Depending on how it's programmed, the extra work could range from overruling all player_seen events by null, to having to program an entire extra part of AI for blinded enemies.
I guess it depends on the amount of work required to make this if they'll consider adding this to the game.

But for the idea: I like it. Realism ftw. :P

- Black
I don't like the drugs but the drugs like me.

agarrett

Post by agarrett » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:23 pm

that would just be amazing though. Also, depending how much you hurt the enemy, they get back up if they were knocked unconscious. Bow and arrows would be nice too, and major battles, with like 50 guys on each side.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:47 am

agarrett wrote:that would just be amazing though. Also, depending how much you hurt the enemy, they get back up if they were knocked unconscious.
Not good. What if you wanted to do "no kills" challenge and would intentionally only leave the enemies unconscious? Idea is fine, implementation would cause problems.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:27 am

The idea is liked. It would also add strategy to what angle to attack from.
If it is possible, or even if it is, whether it would be easy enough for the devs to consider it?
That's a different story.

For now, I says: Meliek.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:33 am

The only gameplay consideration I can think of is that the knife throwing would need to be manually done with a crosshair, as opposed to the automatic knife throwing of Lugaru.

What I'd like to see would be you would hold the throw button to have the crosshair appear, and release it to throw the knife and remove the crosshair.

Pyrokwah

Post by Pyrokwah » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:45 am

TheBigCheese wrote:The only gameplay consideration I can think of is that the knife throwing would need to be manually done with a crosshair, as opposed to the automatic knife throwing of Lugaru.

What I'd like to see would be you would hold the throw button to have the crosshair appear, and release it to throw the knife and remove the crosshair.
^^Best idea here, methinks, as it could allow for knife throwing challanges where you have to hit targets as fast as possible, etc, and it would heavily increase the strategy of the game if the first idea was implemented as well.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:10 pm

agarrett wrote:then they cant walk so they make an extremely easy target and they start crawling away trying to get away then you jump on them and stick a knife in their back. you should also be able to stab them with a knife once their dead, and keep it there.
Haha, whoa there, I thought you were going to say that you jump on their legs and break them and then they scream for help and then you kill them. Hahahaha :lol: :| :cry: *NOT FUNNY*

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:15 am

TheBigCheese wrote:The only gameplay consideration I can think of is that the knife throwing would need to be manually done with a crosshair, as opposed to the automatic knife throwing of Lugaru.

Wow, that would be awesome, but maybe the aiming should be a little assisted when moving/jumping?

Not too much, but so that you actually CAN hit people when jumping?

Endorgan

Post by Endorgan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:46 pm

If this game is going to have PvP multiplayer, you're just gonna have crazy Quake freaks jumping everwhere, sticking knives in you left and right because they hardly have to aim.

tokage

Post by tokage » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:20 am

Lord_of_Sausage wrote:

Wow, that would be awesome, but maybe the aiming should be a little assisted when moving/jumping?

Not too much, but so that you actually CAN hit people when jumping?
I would prefer a hybrid system. Tap the throw-button and you have auto aim just like in Lugaru. Hold the throw button down and you get a cross hair; when you, release you throw.
That way you can still have the same knife throwing you have in Lugaru now, but can aim for the head/neck/whatever when the enemy is not alerted.
Endorgan wrote:If this game is going to have PvP multiplayer, you're just gonna have crazy Quake freaks jumping everwhere, sticking knives in you left and right because they hardly have to aim.
What makes you think you have more than one, two knifes at a time and can't block/reverse knife throws?

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:34 pm

tokage wrote:I would prefer a hybrid system. Tap the throw-button and you have auto aim just like in Lugaru. Hold the throw button down and you get a cross hair; when you, release you throw.
That way you can still have the same knife throwing you have in Lugaru now, but can aim for the head/neck/whatever when the enemy is not alerted.
Hey, yeah, that sounds really compelling.
Endorgan wrote:If this game is going to have PvP multiplayer, you're just gonna have crazy Quake freaks jumping everwhere, sticking knives in you left and right because they hardly have to aim.
Ha ha, love that image!